Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for cut up bumpy pistes / new snow

Poster: A snowHead
How to describe it. You know, overnight or still falling snow, lumpy bumpy pistes, snow still falling etc

I go skiing for a few days. Except in the very worst conditions I want to ski. I have a pair of GS type Dynastars, quite long, quite heavy, about 3 years old. Great for long fast turns in good conditions; this is what I love doing. Off piste, not interested. Moguls, not interested.

Also have a pair of 7yr old Salomon all mountain (SALOMON X-DRIVE 8.0 FS 2015 175cm) which are better in non ideal conditions. Shorter, wider, lighter. But I’m now 61. I want something that’s going to be easier in poor conditions (yes it’s probably mostly my technique). Can anyone recommend a suitable ski? I guess my Salomons are probably the right sort of thing and I should just work with those? Or go shorter given I’ve lost a bit of weight since I bought those; I am 105kg.

Maybe if conditions are poorish week after next I could find a shop in Ellmau and try some?

Have been reading old reviews- the 8.0 on my Salomons means 80mm underfoot so I guess I could go a bit wider, and maybe down in length by a few cm (168cm?) on a suitable ski?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I really enjoyed the Atomic Bents 90 I hired in Canada for this exact sort of slope condition. It is wider underfoot at 90mm - there is another thread where I give my description of them and point to a place where they are reviewed - have a look in the ski equipment section
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For the piste conditions you describe, I would go for something short & quick turning @ 90 ish underfoot.
At one of the oktobertests, I tried some white dot directors at about 160cm, for me at 185cm/90kg they were supposedly much too short but on the cut up & bumpy indoor slope, they were an absolute hoot, flicking them in all directions in the blink of an eye.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=162059 ah here it is
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks. I need wider and shorter than my Salomons. The Bents get good reviews for bumps - says they are light which would be good.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tangowaggon wrote:
For the piste conditions you describe, I would go for something short & quick turning @ 90 ish underfoot.
At one of the oktobertests, I tried some white dot directors at about 160cm, for me at 185cm/90kg they were supposedly much too short but on the cut up & bumpy indoor slope, they were an absolute hoot, flicking them in all directions in the blink of an eye.

Thanks. 90mm sounds about right and I want light. At 105kg/6ft 2” (yeah, mixed units) I’d probably go 166cm which are probably a touch short but I’d only want them for poor conditions - my Dynastar Speed Zone 12 Tis are 182cm so I’d want a fair bit shorter.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
buchanan101 wrote:
How to describe it. You know, overnight or still falling snow, lumpy bumpy pistes, snow still falling etc

I go skiing for a few days. Except in the very worst conditions I want to ski. I have a pair of GS type Dynastars, quite long, quite heavy, about 3 years old. Great for long fast turns in good conditions; this is what I love doing. Off piste, not interested. Moguls, not interested.

Not sure what you mean by " a few days " but successfully skiing in varied conditions is 95% technique, 5% equipment
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27 wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:

Not sure what you mean by " a few days " but successfully skiing in varied conditions is 95% technique, 5% equipment

I mean I’m not going to sit indoors if it’s snowing. Yes I need better technique but could do with a little more help with more suitable skis to improve technique.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
buchanan101 wrote:

- my Dynastar Speed Zone 12 Tis are 182cm so I’d want a fair bit shorter.

Don't quite follow why you want a soft park/all mountain ski significantly shorter than your dedicated piste ski? The Bent 90 is a twin tip, with tip and tail rise so will ski much shorter than that. At your size, I'd worry that you'd overpower them far too easily. At the very least, try to demo them vs a longer length.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I know the Dynastar piste skis are not going to float that well in powder or being lightening quick to turn around bumps, but if you want to be less susceptible to varying snow conditions it really pays to develop a technique where you try your best to keep your weight as balanced and centred as possible at all times with your skis not too far apart then you can effectively plough through the powder with long arcing turns like a speedboat or absorb the moguls while going where you want to go. I worry if you go to short you may lose too much control at speed.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah I don’t use my Dynastar GS skis in poorish conditions. My Salomons are better as all mountain (shorter and wider) but still compromised a bit. I think they are biased towards good on piste conditions (hence the 80mm). Bought them first. Not worried about stability at speed as wouldn’t be using a new ski in conditions I’d likely be going at all fast

I see the Atomic Bents go 90, 100, 110, 120. Surely the top two are just park and bump skis. Maybe I should consider 100s..

I take two pairs of skis on holiday - one of the advantages of BA Avios Club Europe - carriage included and no questions asked about size/weight.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mgrolf wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:

- my Dynastar Speed Zone 12 Tis are 182cm so I’d want a fair bit shorter.

Don't quite follow why you want a soft park/all mountain ski significantly shorter than your dedicated piste ski? The Bent 90 is a twin tip, with tip and tail rise so will ski much shorter than that. At your size, I'd worry that you'd overpower them far too easily. At the very least, try to demo them vs a longer length.

Yes I see that they are 20/10 tip and tail so I assume that means they’d ski on the 70% whereas a normal piste ski would ski on 90% say? Good point. Thanks.

Thinking I may have a look in shops when in resort and demo anything.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not convinced that you can find skis that are better at, effectively, skiing through snow. They are kind of all designed to do that. Obvs!

If it's through chop, something that doesn't get thrown around so much (which is not really to do with the ski's weight which is overwhelmingly dominated by your weight) maybe something like a Blizzard Brahma or Völkl Kendo??
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm someone mystified by this. People general go for something which is a bit burlier to truck through crud not a shorter softer ski. If a GS ski is struggling I'm assuming we're not just talking soft snow on a firm base, we're talking firmer bumps or a totally softening piste or a deficit in technique.

But if you're skiing exclusively on groomers it shouldn't be hard to find a ski that works unless you're into deep spring when fat rockered skis allow you to roost angry frenchmen and straightline former mogul fields.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dave of the Marmottes, now you mention it ...

@buchanan101, I know you admitted
Quote:
(yes it’s probably mostly my technique)
but I'm afraid 1. yes, it is (and thus better tools won't fix the handyman) and poss 2. fitness as well?

But on 1. there are reasonably simple techniques whereby e.g. you use your weight to drive the skis round and e.g. absorb bumps better. A single private lesson for 90 mins or so might be enough to get you happily swinging around on your GS-like skis.

Cheaper than new skis which probably* won't fix the underlying problem.

* definitely won't
latest report
@buchanan101, I'd personally say going for a shorter/lighter ski is the wrong way to go, IMHO if you get the ski on an edge, then it'll ski thru the crud and the longer/heavier/stiffer ski you already have will be better for that. A shorter ski is going to be less stable and at 105kg you'll potentially overpower a softer lighter ski. If you go wider then be aware the downsides are more strain on your knees and also harder to go edge to edge....

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 22-01-23 11:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@buchanan101, I'd personally say going for a shorter/lighter ski is the wrong way to go, IMHO if you get the ski on an edge, then it'll ski thru the crud and the longer/heavier/stiffer ski you already have will be better for that. A shorter ski is going to be less stable and potentially at 105kg you'll potentially overpower a softer lighter ski. If you go wider then be aware the downsides are more strain on your knees and also harder to go edge to edge....

Absolutely this…1) from experience and, 2) from observing high technique, local racers carving on longer, stiffer skis in all sorts of conditions, yet looking for all the world as though they’re skiing on perfect groomers.

Three years ago I went for longer/stiffer skis and they’re definitely better in the conditions that the OP describes. BUT, that decision was only made when I felt I had the technique more or less tied down.
latest report
red 27 wrote:
95% technique, 5% equipment

Indeed. It's the skier, not the skis.
ski holidays
@buchanan101, ....well....hmmmmm.....I am about 60kg, 5-7 tall, experienced, athletic for a 65 year old (150km a week cycling), but pretty messed up left knee which always swells on crud days...and I found moving to a wider ski in crud very helpful - Salomon Suspect/Mai Tai. Much easier on the knees in crud and when getting air. But only a move from 70cm waist to 86mm. That was a good move. They are conventional camber skis. I then messed around on some full rocker youth Mantras in 158 and that was an amazing difference in crud and bumps. Spins on the top of bumps and rides the waves of mess brilliantly. And no 'conversion time' needed. I am light enough for the youth mantras but you might try the Mantras, Kendos or Kenjas. All nicely stiff but not too mad. I think you genuinely will really experience an improvement maybe hire some and see, and play with lengths. As people are saying, important to get enough support from the front of the ski (length) otherwise you get in the back seat intuitively and that's just all wrong. Or Elan Ripsticks if you want a ski which seems it has metal in it, but doesn't - they use carbon fibre to get the same stiffness but with no weight penalty.
latest report
A lot depends on how you want to ski the crud & bumps.
If you want to ski it as if it was freshly groomed, a longer heavy ski that slices through the piles of loose stuff is probably the answer until your technique develops.

As your technique improves, it is much more fun to play with the bumps & piles of snow, using them to turn, really quickly flicking from edge to edge, which is where the shorter, lighter ski comes in.

There's a huge variation in how people like to ski, sometimes people don't realise how they like to ski until they try a particular type of ski, asking for advice on here can be like asking a roadie what bike to buy when you really prefer mountain biking. I love carving & generally rule out anything with a radius of more that 17m, others want more straight line stability.
snow report
While I can understand @valais2's comment re wider, I am afraid I am struggling to get past improving technique and strength. Sorreee ... Twisted Evil
latest report
Guys and ladies. If it was all about technique then all we’d need is two straight edged planks of wood. I’m not asking for advice on skis that’ll MAKE me a better skier. I’m asking about skis that could HELP both making me a slightly better skier on bumps and crud and especially cruddy bumps and in helping me to enjoy them more than I do. I’m 61, 105kg, built like the rugby player I used to be and, as a result of rugby, have dodgy knees. I’m not going to be bouncing down a mogul Field the same as someone half my age and weight. But I’d like skis that MAY help me ski them, and the crud, better.

So far, some recommendations for skis, probably 90mm or 100mm wide at waist. And not much shorter than my piste skis because of camber on tips and tails. thanks for all that . I will probably try in resort in a week given suitable conditions.
snow report
@buchanan101, I think trying some out is a great shout, perhaps some skis with tip and tail rocker would be worth checking out as something a bit different? I guess you can hopefully simulate conditions off piste if it's not snowing the next time you are out??

Dodgy knees and wide skis Shocked be careful!! https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=120844
snow conditions
How do the Blizzard Brahma 88s compare to the other suggestions?
snow report
1. Blizzard Brahma88's
2. More lessons.

Or visa-versa
ski holidays
@buchanan101, yeah, I get that, but you are asking a really tough question …
latest report
Big fattie twintips do the trick for me in Scottish crud.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@buchanan101, I think trying some out is a great shout, perhaps some skis with tip and tail rocker would be worth checking out as something a bit different? I guess you can hopefully simulate conditions off piste if it's not snowing the next time you are out??

Dodgy knees and wide skis Shocked be careful!! https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=120844

Thanks! But was only thinking 90 or 100. My dodgy knees have survived two weeks a year for a decade with some good braces on. Fingers crossed…
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
buchanan101 wrote:

Also have a pair of 7yr old Salomon all mountain (SALOMON X-DRIVE 8.0 FS 2015 175cm) which are better in non ideal conditions. Shorter, wider, lighter. But I’m now 61. I want something that’s going to be easier in poor conditions (yes it’s probably mostly my technique). Can anyone recommend a suitable ski? I guess my Salomons are probably the right sort of thing and I should just work with those? Or go shorter given I’ve lost a bit of weight since I bought those; I am 105kg.

Maybe if conditions are poorish week after next I could find a shop in Ellmau and try some?

Have been reading old reviews- the 8.0 on my Salomons means 80mm underfoot so I guess I could go a bit wider, and maybe down in length by a few cm (168cm?) on a suitable ski?

The conditions you describe are actually some of my favourite. I ski Stöckli Stormrider 88s, which add to the fun. Anything 88 to 90 should be ok as long as they provide enough support (I.e stiffness).
snow report
@buchanan101, rocker makes this type of terrain/conditions much easier, doesn't have to be a huge amount but for skiing fast through uneven terrain a ski shaped like a boat is going to do better than one that is trying to hug the ground constantly
snow conditions
@buchanan101, FWIW just remembered I have this - me skiing crud on 76mm (might be 78?) wide Head Supershape Titans (subsequently I was told they were too soft for me) I think these were sub 80mm underfoot. from memory the instructor was talking about using both edges of the ski to power through this stuff.

http://youtube.com/v/cZ10oyaO0zg
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy