Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing and Santa

Poster: A snowHead
My mum has come up with the cunning plan of taking my 6 year old to Lapland to meet Father Xmas.

All sounds fine, until I find out the cost of the day trip is £379 for the 6 year old and £399 for my Mum!

So, cunning plan spring to mind, I'm sure I could do a pre-Xmas trip for the whole family for not much more, and hopefully get some skiing in as well, whilst Grannie took the kids to see Santa.

So do any European ressorts that are served by cheap flights from up North offer any form of meeting Santa in the run up to Christmas?

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can have a look at the following:

http://www.crystalski.co.uk/destinations/finland/finland.html

http://www.inghams.co.uk/ski/FIN/LVI/index.html

The best ski centres in Finland are Pyha, Ruka and Yllas. They are not next to Rovaniemi though, where Santa is located. They all, undoubtedly though, have fake Santas around Xmas time.

If you want to ski in Rovaniemi, this is the ski centre there: http://www.ounasvaara.net/Hiihtokeskus/English/frontpage.htm
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, did Ellmau with the kids a few years back over Christmas... Santa arrived by parachute and dished out gifts to all the kids. Then a similar looking Santa appeared at the hotel (Hochfilzer) and entertained them all for hours on Christmas eve. Worked a treat on 3 year olds but the older kids were a bit suspicious. Can't think any alpine resorts would do anything outside of Christmas Eve and Christmas day. Plenty of friends have done the Lapland thing... yes, very pricey, all loved it, but usual charter flight nightmares can cause havoc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski, Could you go at Christmas ? Austria is lovely at Christmas, especially in the small villages and they usually welcome visitors to join in all the festivities including the Church services. It would certainly be a real Christmas with the snow etc.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
well possibly....do you get any last minute bargains for Xmas week if you hold out?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think that the contemplation of Father Christmas is better for kids than the 'reality' of seeing him. I doubt that at age 6 s/he'll imagine the guy they see to be the real thing, even though s/he believes in him (as I do). Just take the family skiing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, Food for thought, but personally I wouldn't risk booking late for what is a busy time of the season and for something so special. Also your son/daughter may get learn to ski for free, we did when we booked with Thomson, but that was a few years ago now.

This as a rough guide from Thomsons online, staying in Ellmau or Scheffau :

Quote:
7 Nights Half Board
Adult Web Fare From
£562

Child Web Fare From
£503
Departure Date: 23 Dec 2006

Departing :Newcastle( NCL),07:50
Arriving: Salzburg (SZG)
dining room with bar area
Stube
á la carte restaurant café

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Edit: double post

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 17-10-06 22:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, £800 to meet a bloke that in 2yrs time will not exist.....madness. Autria as IncogSkiSno, says. Loads of great places to choose from. Ellmau is good for kids and at 6 they could go to ski school every morning and GM could babysit in the afternoon. Sprog would probably want to ski all day though.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
richmond, I always thought that the whole thing about the "real" santa is just a joke - and I am a Finn. I went up to Rovaniemi last Christmas and saw him at his office. I must say I had butterflies in my stomach, my cheeks got hot and I felt like a little boy. Amazing difference.

It makes no point to take under five year olds up there, as they don't get the point. Those who do are about 5-10 years old who still have some belief left. And then of course, us who approach 40...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hannah29, that sounds like a great trip. However, we all know that the real Santa Claus is much too busy doing the business to meet tourists just before Christmas.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hannah29, Why the camper van. Why not all fly to Stockholm and then fly home?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
hannah29, Why the camper van. Why not all fly to Stockholm and then fly home?

Why a camper van at all!? NehNeh

Wherever you go there will be Santa's - plenty of them infact on the slopes on the day itself - here's just one I've seen on a board in Andorra last season.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went to Geilo in Norway a couple of years ago just after Christmas. From what I saw it looked as if they had quite a good scene for children leading up to Christmas.
latest report
 brian
brian
kitenski, he's in Grimentz the weekend before, complete with festive parade, fire jugglers, artisan toymakers, firework display etc.

http://www.feeries.ch/ (in French)
snow report
santa arrives here on christmas eve, he decends from the cable car and then gets pulled down the final part of the green run into resort by tiny ponies on a sled(thats santa on the sled not the ponies) then he throws sweets to all the kids.

it is mayhem but great fun.

However why not just take your daughter to your local meet santa rubish and go skiing. Beleive me they dont suffer if they dont get to meet a stupid man pretending to be santa! Infact i think its better they dont meet a fake one, keeps the guessing alive!
snow conditions
You can fly from Amsterdam to Helsinki and then onto Kuusamo or Rovaneimi...and a bus will take you to your resort. I have no idea how they know when you are arriving/leaving but it is seamless! It's not that expensive and there are some reasonable cabins with catered restaurants. There are some small resorts but plenty to do some sliding around. It is very cold though (usually).

Salla is small but near Rovaneimi...where Santaland is. There are some others between Kuusamo and Salla which look bigger and more lively.

Top tip: take a face mask otherwise your nose might fall off.

kitenski wrote:
My mum has come up with the cunning plan of taking my 6 year old to Lapland to meet Father Xmas.

All sounds fine, until I find out the cost of the day trip is £379 for the 6 year old and £399 for my Mum!

So, cunning plan spring to mind, I'm sure I could do a pre-Xmas trip for the whole family for not much more, and hopefully get some skiing in as well, whilst Grannie took the kids to see Santa.

So do any European ressorts that are served by cheap flights from up North offer any form of meeting Santa in the run up to Christmas?

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
 MichaelWright
MichaelWright
snowangel. wrote:
santa arrives here on christmas eve, he decends from the cable car and then gets pulled down the final part of the green run into resort by tiny ponies on a sled(thats santa on the sled not the ponies) then he throws sweets to all the kids.

it is mayhem but great fun.

However why not just take your daughter to your local meet santa rubish and go skiing. Beleive me they dont suffer if they dont get to meet a stupid man pretending to be santa! Infact i think its better they dont meet a fake one, keeps the guessing alive!

That's a great idea! My son, like all children, loves Santa Claus. And long before the new year he was watching santa claus video and I saw how he wanted to meet him. I think this year I will arrange it for him.

Last edited by MichaelWright on Sun 2-04-23 19:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
17 years. Impressive.

I wonder if the now 23 year old in the OP ever got to meet the main man??
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy