Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do I know if I need stiffer boots

Poster: A snowHead
I always hire boots as I never know what type to commit too. I was skiing before Christmas in Nordica Speedmachine 100's, on atomic S7s, , the were a perfect fit and all felt great. I'm now back in obergurgl this week, same boots but on Atomic S9s and I think I can feel the extra control as I am happy hitting 80+kph on piste where as last year 70ish was the limit. I'm loving big carving turns and short turns and powdery edges. I'm only 70kg but should I be asking to hire stiffer boots? Any advice welcome as thinking about buying when back in UK for next year. Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The stiffness of your boots depends on things like:

Your Weight
How good a skier you are
How aggressively you ski
How tall you are

It is a minefield, as there is no standard flex rating between different brands and even between different models of the same brand.

So, the best advice I can give, is to tell the forum roughly where you live and you will likely get a recommendation of somewhere with a good reputation like Solutions for Feet and Profeet. All you need to do is give honest and accurate answers to their questions and give feedback regarding the feel of the boots.....and they will guide you through the rest.

If you are an aggressive, reasonably advanced skier, a Flex of 100 is likely too soft.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Artengit, the Nordica's feel great - stick with them.

Don't get sucked into the treadmill of being persuaded into upgrading into ever-more technical 'expert' equipment.

I've been skiing for 35 years and my boots are 100 flex. I like a bit of give in the boot, helps with the feel of ankle flexion
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27 wrote:

Don't get sucked into the treadmill of being persuaded into upgrading into ever-more technical 'expert' equipment.

I've been skiing for 35 years and my boots are 100 flex. I like a bit of give in the boot, helps with the feel of ankle flexion

The answer I gave was not trying to suck the OP into anything. My last pair of boots were over 20 years old when they fell apart (as I kept them too long).....so I was simply answering the question.

You have figured out what is right for you, your weight and the way you ski....and the OP needs to do the same. I am 64 kg, over 60, a half decent skier and like a 110 (as fitted by JoJo in Tignes). That is right for me. They do not have Gripwalk and I intend keeping them as long as I think they will be safe.

If the OP has only been in hired boots, then they have little idea what a custom fitted boot with a custom insole feels like. If they have not tried something stiffer than 100 flex boot, they have nothing to compare it to.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1. Stop measuring your speed.
2. I doubt the 80kph
3. If you are advanced enough to ski at that pace you would not be asking the question
4. Spend the money on lessons rather than worrying about your kit
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You're not hitting 80kph. If you are you or someone else would likely be dead. Don't aspire to speed aspire to control.

If you are outskiing your boots you'll be skilled enough to know.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@zikomo, @Dave of the Marmottes, I too concur.....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, I thought that all that too. I hope the pistes he was hooning down were empty.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gotta admit I'm with @Old Fartbag on this one. I would also think 100 flex is too soft for high speed carving (if, of course the OP is actually carving. Lots of people who think they are, aren't.)

But the factual answer to the OP is that the boot will just give way if you forward pressure it in conjunction with G force in a high speed turn, if the flex is too soft. If it's not collapsing, it is at least ok for its purpose, even if it's maybe not optimal. The temperature's also relevant. A 100 flex might not give way in January but it will in April.

The reality of hiring, though is that the shop may not have stiffer flexing boots because most advanced skiers requiring higher flex ratings will have bought their own - the rental shops' market is intermediates for which 100 flex is fine for the vast majority of customers.

So again as @Old Fartbag said, go and find a good bootfitter to discuss it with.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
red 27 wrote:

If you’ve been skiing 100 flex boots for 35 years how do you know whether 110 / 120 or even 130 flex boots wouldn’t suit you better?

I’ve got boots at several flex points and for carving at speed most definitely benefit from a stiffer boot that allows you to really drive the skis.

Here are the Speedmachine options - I’d guess the OP would benefit from the 120’s from the description of his skiing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Quote:

1. Stop measuring your speed.
2. I doubt the 80kph

I have no idea if this is a real figure, just what Strava pumps out so sharing all possible info to help get a more informed response. It is not the speed that matters, its just that the S9 gave me that bit more confidence again in their stability. I do not do this speed all the time (or would want to, as I'm not as young as I once was,) and only on empty piste.
Thanks @Raceplate
Quote:

that the boot will just give way

It feels like when I push harder, the boot it flexing forward, with quite a lot of movement, although hard to measure when skiing. I assume a stiffer boot has less movement and therefore a more precise feel in relation to the ski
I think it is definitely time to find a good boot fitter, I just want to avoid splashing out on shiny new stiffer boots and regretting it if they bite back!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

If you’ve been skiing 100 flex boots for 35 years how do you know whether 110 / 120 or even 130 flex boots wouldn’t suit you better?

That was my concern having only ever had hire boots I have no comparisons unlike with skis. I don't ski enough to justify multiple pairs and as I am now 50 any boots will probably outlast me!

Quote:

I’d guess the OP would benefit from the 120’s from the description of his skiing

That was what I was thinking, but my other worry is I get them too stiff and loose all feel. Your advice definitely makes me want to try a stiffer boot though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have been skiing 30 years, 196cm tall, 100kgs, ski fairly aggressively, sometimes carving.

My boots are Atomic Hawx Prime 110S.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Artengit wrote:
Thanks @Raceplate
It feels like when I push harder, the boot it flexing forward, with quite a lot of movement, although hard to measure when skiing. I assume a stiffer boot has less movement and therefore a more precise feel in relation to the ski
I think it is definitely time to find a good boot fitter, I just want to avoid splashing out on shiny new stiffer boots and regretting it if they bite back!

Then the boots you've rented are most likely too big, too soft, or both.

A stiffer boot doesn't directly bite back but it does transmit your physical inputs to the skis more efficiently so if your inputs are sloppy or exaggerated, the skis reaction might bite you. You'll automatically adapt your inputs pretty quickly to compensate though if you're a competent skier and I wouldn't worry about it. it's part of the learning curve and you're going to have to do it at some point if you want to progress. For piste skiing, it's less of an issue anyway; a too stiff boot is more likely to bite you off piste where a degree of "suspension" flex can prevent you from accidently forward pressuring the tip of the ski and making it nosedive.

The other reassurance for buying a stiffer boot would be that in general, it is much easier to soften the flex of a boot than it is to make it stiffer and the vast majority of boots have some kind of flex adjustment on them anyway that is worth an extra 5-10 flex points. For some boots, the flex adjuster makes them stiffer, and others softer. So you could, for example, buy a 120 boot knowing that the "soft" setting is nearer to 110 flex or a 110 boot knowing that the "stiff" setting is nearer to 120 flex to address your concerns about biting back. A good bootfitter will know which way the flex adjuster affects the boot's stiffness and can recommend the right starting flex for you in any particular product.

We debate a lot of things on this forum but if there's one thing that pretty much no-one will argue with, it's that a well fitted appropriate pair of boots will make more difference to your skiing than anything else. Time to get the wallet out! Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dave of the Marmottes, 50 mph, not that incredible, especially on a schuss before a flat or uphill section I bet that there are many people doing those kinds of speeds
ski holidays
@rambotion, I ski very hard and aggressively and only occasionally notch up 80km, but then I do like carving and being in some form of control rolling eyes
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
@rambotion, I ski very hard and aggressively for a 75yo and only occasionally notch up 80km, but then I do like carving and being in some form of control rolling eyes

FIFY
snow report
Quote:

Definitely not too big, not a crushing race fit as feet need to happy all day but they are snug all round, any tighter would impact circulation.

Thanks, it's good to know the option for adjusting boot flex is that bigger range. I am beginning to feel like I can have a half informed discussion with a boot fitter.
snow conditions
@Artengit,
how much skiing you done in your life time? how many days a season do you spend on skis?
how fit are you?
how much coaching quality you had?
All the above will decide how stiff and direct your boots need to be, then there's the comfort/performance ratio
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
All you need to do is give honest and accurate answers to their questions and give feedback regarding the feel of the boots.....and they will guide you through the rest.

This is the key issue here. People do give what they believe to be honest feeback on their skiing, however they just have no idea what actually is good skiing.

I taught someone a few weeks back who described themselves at "intermediate to advanced" because "I can get down black runs". The reality was, at best they're pushing a lower intermediate, but they genuinely had no idea that's what there level actually was.
latest report
Artengit wrote:
Quote:

Definitely not too big, not a crushing race fit as feet need to happy all day but they are snug all round, any tighter would impact circulation.

I'd put £10 on the line that if you went to solutions4feet and told them the boot and size you have hired, they put you in a size smaller.
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
@rambotion, I ski very hard and aggressively for a 75yo and only occasionally notch up 80km, but then I do like carving and being in some form of control rolling eyes

FIFY

I will definitely be happy if I can keep skiing well to 75+, if my new boots out last me it would would be an investment cost less than £20 a year, and an excuse to keep using them. Very Happy and if I do wear them out that means I'd have had a lot of fun skiing Laughing
ski holidays
swskier wrote:
Artengit wrote:
Quote:

I'd put £10 on the line that if you went to solutions4feet and told them the boot and size you have hired, they put you in a size smaller.

I normally accept a firm but comfortable fit when I hire, Then I can ease in on day 1. I sometimes add a supergreen insole to support my arches so very snug. Very much does depend on which boots I get though and how they settle in ( or how my feet settle in)
snow conditions
@swskier, Very common! Lots of people stop having any sort of instruction at quite a low level, generally the "can get down a black run" stage. Which is fine as that is a level that will allow you to enjoy intermediate piste skiing. The only problem is when it leads to over-estimation of ability, including skiing at inappropriate speeds especially on steeper terrain/more challenging conditions. It s fun, however, to introduce new levels of performance and the new sensations that come with that! My favourite are skiers who class themselves as lower level intermediate as they say they struggle on ice and steeper slopes. But are actually very good skiers, very trusting students who will actually try hard to do what you are asking them to do, and make huge improvements as confidence improves. I find it is much more common to find women like that than men. Interestingly because often they have been encouraged by their partner to take some instruction as there is a perceived difference in ability. But when you see both of them skiing, you realise it is the man who is at a lower level but just willing to ski faster! Worst is when you get a couples lesson and are told by the man that his partner needs/wants help with speed/ice/steeper terrain, but it becomes clear that he is actually the worse skier.
snow conditions
swskier wrote:

This is the key issue here. People do give what they believe to be honest feeback on their skiing, however they just have no idea what actually is good skiing.

This is a very valid point.

I would say a canny Bootfitter with some clever questions, could tease out the actual standard. Number of weeks skiing; number of Class lessons at what level; how many Private lessons (and what was worked on) and have they had Boots fitted before (and where).....would be a good start. I would say Colin is experienced at this.
latest report
@Artengit, I'd also suggest that to my mind, and it's been said here many times before, if you are buying your own boots I'd be surprised if you walked out with anything badged less than 110 ...
snow report
@Artengit, When I read your first post, the highlighting/emphasising of your speed got my antenna twitching.

Too many of the most dangerous skiers I have skied with (met in resort) have been fixated with speed and breaking their previous records. Many of the members on here have been skied into by out of control skiers, going faster than their ability allows, which has resulted in injury.

This year, the higher resorts like Tignes/VDI and Paradiski, have had larger numbers of dangerously fast skiers than usual (due to poorer snow in lower resorts) - resulting in a higher number of accidents than usual.

I witnessed this myself last week, where my Daughter was nearly taken out by some bloke who was so close that her Ski Pole was nearly ripped out of her hand. At the bottom of the lifts, there were also groups of Students, with their phones out, comparing speeds for their last run. It was a testosterone fuelled dangerous game to them.

So, given that and the number of Instructors who post on here, you can understand why this is a rather a sensitive issue, which triggered the response above. As you were a new Member, I let it go.

Snowheads is a brilliant resource, with a huge well of knowledge - but you will not be flattered and you can get a robust response...and what I can say, is by in large, the advice is well meaning and based on years of experience (even if conflicting at times).

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 1-02-23 13:54; edited 3 times in total
snow report
It's actually a shame more SH's don't use Carv as then we'd know those who can ski and those that say that can but actually are way off the mark.....@BobinCH, Laughing

The damn thing has been an eye-opener for me, and has helped me no end, though do think it can deflate you as well if you feel that you're going backwards which was the case in point this morning, but I did tweak a hamstring yesterday losing an edge and quickly trying to pull it back, but scores this morning were well down.

But again how many people once they think that they are skiing well on the piste, want to invest in lessons and such like, when on holiday?

This is the sort of feedback you get, plus in your ears as well if using earbuds.

Today

And then yesterday

And this morning I saw a UCPA instructor with his group showing them technique and he was sliding more than carving, maybe I just saw the not how to do it bit Laughing

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 1-02-23 12:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swskier wrote:
Artengit wrote:
Quote:

I'd put a tenner on too. Very Happy

If you've never had a properly fitted pair of boots, you have no reference point for just how tight they should actually be so it's a difficult "you don't know what you don't know" situation.

IME, a good rule of thumb is to monitor what clip you're using when doing up the buckles on your boots. If you're using the first and second clips, particularly over the forefoot and instep, they're probably a good fit. If you can undo those buckles completely and it makes no difference at all to how you ski, they're probably a good fit.

If you're using the 4/5/6th clips anywhere, but especially around the ankle to prevent heel lift, they're almost certainly too big.
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
It's actually a shame more SH's don't use Carv as then we'd know those who can ski and those that say that can but actually are way off the mark.....

I don't need Carv to rub it in when I'm skiing with a hangover! Laughing
latest report
@Weathercam, are we classing 145 as someone that can or can't ski? Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

It's actually a shame more SH's don't use Carv as then we'd know those who can ski and those that say that can but actually are way off the mark.

Why do "we" need to know that?
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
It's actually a shame more SH's don't use Carv as then we'd know those who can ski and those that say that can but actually are way off the mark.....

I know you're taking the wee wee but actually everyone can ski just at different levels and it doesn't really matter if they are safe and enjoying themselves. I'd actually be resistant to the Stravafication of skiing more generally by Carv as I can only imagine the hazards presented by muppets who by definition will be on piste trying to score a new PB at teh expense of dilligence to surrounding skiers.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

It's actually a shame more SH's don't use Carv as then we'd know those who can ski and those that say that can but actually are way off the mark.

Well, I'm a very centred, balanced, reactive skier with ability to take the best from any ski and conditions. Gently coercing the ski into doing anything I wish and far above their designed ability Toofy Grin Laughing Laughing Laughing I wish Very Happy so why would I want a Carve report to dispense with that outlook.

Other than joking, I do think it added value to the report, especially in short time frame you had to evaluate weathercam, and offers quite interesting insight to those different ski.

Leisure use for me though, is definitely no as I try to keep anything like this out of my sphere of participation for relaxation sports as I see them. I really don't wish to evaluate, purchase, recharge, download anything of this type to get stats.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, hmmm, I thinnk that Carv use "gameification" in their marketing puff Shocked
latest report
pam w wrote:

Because sometimes there's an inordinate amount of BS on here about people's ability, as has been touched on in this very thread.

@Dave of the Marmottes, Carv has nothing to do with speed, though speed can be your friend in the turns, but the focus is on carving and if more people know how to do that as opposed to sliding out of control at speed there might be fewer collisions?

I actually had to search out what my max speed was on my best segment today and it was a paltry 36kph

@ski3, and in my case it has constructively helped me ski far better on the piste than I was ever doing before.

Once I start plateauing then I'll probably leave then in the apartment. But at my age it's still good to feel that you're progressing rather than just being satisfied with your lot.

Top instructors are in the 155+ bracket FWIW
snow report
Raceplate wrote:
swskier wrote:
Artengit wrote:
Quote:

I'd put a tenner on too. Very Happy .

Unfortunately you are both wrong and it's two sizes wink
snow report
@ski3, @Weathercam, If I was able to ski multiple weeks per year and could take lots of time on my own to work on improving my stats, it is exactly the sort of analytical tool I would love.

As it is, I get 6 days per year, usually spent with my Daughter and/or a group I might meet in resort.....so cossetting myself in a "Carv Bubble", instead of enjoying the company I'm skiing with, is not something that appeals.

I was lucky to have had lessons from Aaron Cassells (ex Racer from NI and Instructor in VDI) - who hammered home the message that in skiing, the 3 most important factors were Control, Control and Control. His advice was to start off skiing every steepish slope as if it was steeper than it looked.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, it doesn't have to eat in to your holiday time.

I've only used mine a small amount, but used it on our holiday in Jan 22. I wasn't working on any specific drills, just had it on the freeskiing mode and it gave me a score update for the run plus a tip to think about next run.

As it happens, I bought mine based on the size of boots I was in (sold to me by Snow and Rock) which turned out to be 1 size too big. I now have carv inserts that won't fit in my new size boot, so i'll likely sell mine, and I don't know that i'll bother replacing them.
latest report
@zikomo, @Dave of the Marmottes, Honestly, I see no reason to doubt the 80kph. It's really not that fast. Not something I measure frequently, but I recall some years ago doing just that and that sort of speed was not unusual, not even confined to a schuss.

As for the boots, well the key to whether you need stiffer boots is not solely down to speed, but the faster and more aggressively you ski will obviously be a factor. It's really a question of control - if you're very technical, as well as fast, then you need the boot to transmit your inputs more directly to the ski, obviously, and stiffness plays a key part in this, but whether an individual is over-flexing the boot, i.e. occasionally getting their weight too far forward, is something that can only be judged by seeing them ski.

Feeling the boots flex is a good thing, as it implies a good shin position, but is it consistent or just when you're getting thrown forward by a bump? If they're always flexing then perhaps a stiffer boot would be better, if it's only when something pushes you forward and they return to a more neutral position, then perhaps not.

As ever, it's about finding if there's a problem before trying to fix it. Best advice - go out with an instructor, do the sort of skiing that's pushing your envelope and ask them specifically to look out for any issues that may be boot related.

Old Fartbag wrote:

I was lucky to have had lessons from Aaron Cassells (ex Racer from NI and Instructor in VDI) - who hammered home the message that in skiing, the 3 most important factors were Control, Control and Control. His advice was to start off skiing every steepish slope as if it was steeper than it looked.

Yupp, I'll second that. And skiing more slowly in perfect control is much more difficult than going fast. Go for precise round turns, vary them, speed up, slow down, try to feel that you're always able to control the ski and not the other way around.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy