Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anyone used this Alarmed Ski Lock?

Poster: A snowHead
This year, I'm going to a Hotel with no way of locking up your skis, so was checking what was available in the way of Ski Lock solutions.

This Cable Lock from M-Wave caught my eye: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wave-Lock-Roll-Alarm-Black/dp/B013I2IDAK/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=M-Wave+Lock+n%E2%80%99Roll+Alarm&qid=1669295930&sr=8-3&tag=amz07b-21

My first thought was, "What a good idea, as it will give an extra layer of protection" - as the alarm will go off if the cable is cut or the skis moved.

My second thought was, "Will I keep setting off the 90dB alarm and feel like a complete Muppet?" - Though you can adjust the sensitivity.

If you have tried this particular lock - Is it a brilliant solution, or a complete pain in the ar$e?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I take it that your hotel has a dedicated ski/boot storage room? If there are no lockers, perhaps the owner/operator feels there is no/extremely low risk? In which case, what’s their alternative security (for punter peace of mind) like? I.e. CCTV, lockable ski room, entry card system etc etc.

Failing that, have you got a balcony?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Old Fartbag, not tried that particular lock, but these type of combi locks in general take under 2min to open in the usual way, even if you don't know the code... Someone with a bit of practice can probably do it in under a minute.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can't imagine that in Canada. Some hotels discourage you from taking your gear to your room, but they don't stop you. The fancy ones take the stuff off you as you get back and spirit the stuff away, only to bring it out again the next morning. I usually put by board in the bathroom of where I'm staying.

Those look like interesting toys. If I was a midnight thief in a ski room, I expect that would give me a shock, but I'd probably stamp on it or chuck it down a bog or something, so I'm not sure it'd exactly stop that type of thief.

Other stuff to consider is the smart tag stuff. I could just about fit one of those into my snowboard bindings and vaguely may do it at some point. I'm not sure how easy that would be with skis... and in any case it doesn't really solve the problem.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wouldn't bother with the alarm. Simple bike combination coiled cable lock best IME. More substantial than the wire ones at pretty similar weight and can't just be tugged apart. There is always something to secure a cable to whether its a rack or a shelving unit or railing.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Old Fartbag,
You mean you don't take them to bed with you Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Certainly when it comes to trying to secure your skis overnight in the hotel I think it's a waste of £30 over the non-alarmed version.

If someone nips into the boot room at 2am they will be long gone by the time anyone wakes up and investigates where that annoying noise is coming from. All you're really going to do is find out your skis have been stolen at 02:15AM (and having to spend 15 minutes trying to get the batteries out to shut it up) rather than 9AM. Oh, and having to pop to the boot room 5 times every afternoon, to switch it off each time someone knocks your skis putting their in the rack.

Just have a beer and remember while it's possible someone will pinch your skis the odds of it happening are really very low. If you feel the need split them up around the room (an oppotunist thief isn't going to bother hunting for them).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm staying in the Langley Hotel in Tignes Lac, which has a ski room with general racks that can't be locked. The door to the outside is coded - but we have new skis with easily adjustable rail bindings.

My preference will be to take them to the room (if not actually to bed with me Toofy Grin ) - but that might be frowned upon.

The reviews on Amazon say the build quality is poor and the alarm can be fickle - often not sounding when it should. I am going off the idea, as I suspect it will have a cheap movement sensor that can't be relied on.

If I go with something, it will likely be the Safeman: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Safeman-Multifunction-Quick-Lock-White/dp/B012A4TTJG/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2NFUYLTX5GNJ6&keywords=Safeman%2BQuick%2BLock&qid=1669306475&sprefix=safeman%2Bquick%2Block%2Caps%2C72&sr=8-5&th=1&tag=amz07b-21 which seems to be more robust and versatile than most......though I have read reviews saying the key can break off in the lock.

I may even go with an old, coiled bicycle lock that I have kicking about.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 24-11-22 17:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Old Fartbag,
I've got an un-alarmed version that looks similar to that one and I can pull the cable out with my hands, no need for tools (or a combination Toofy Grin ). Take them to your room if you worry about them.
EDIT - when I say "that one" I meant the first you linked to.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've just seen a video on YouTube where someone put a narrow, flat hook into the Safeman, pushed the teeth back that prevent the cable from moving - and then pulled out the cable. Sad

I liked the look of the Dakine Cam lock - but it's sold out everywhere I've looked - probably because its discontinued.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Now looking at this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BBB-MicroLoop-BBL-51-Cable-Black/dp/B006VD254O/ref=sr_1_5?crid=C8VEYAOR9SJ0&keywords=BBB+Cycling+Microloop+BBL-51+Cable+Lock&qid=1669318339&sprefix=bbb+cycling+microloop+bbl-51+cable+lock%2Caps%2C79&sr=8-5&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/BBB-Minisafe-Bbl-52-2-905-455-201-Black/dp/B00A88MY0I/ref=sr_1_14?crid=2L2IAPJICQLNF&keywords=Coil+lock&qid=1669321753&sprefix=coil+lock%2Caps%2C121&sr=8-14&tag=amz07b-21

Obviously there is the usual swap a ski with a buddy when locking away.

I am thinking of getting an apple tag & a 3d printed holder to glue on. Then when up the mountain give it to buddy for tracking if getting split up

Edit :- interesting…. https://www.geeky-gadgets.com/apple-airtag-mount-18-01-2022/
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gored wrote:
I use something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/BBB-Minisafe-Bbl-52-2-905-455-201-Black/dp/B00A88MY0I/ref=sr_1_14?crid=2L2IAPJICQLNF&keywords=Coil+lock&qid=1669321753&sprefix=coil+lock%2Caps%2C121&sr=8-14&tag=amz07b-21

Obviously there is the usual swap a ski with a buddy when locking away.

I am thinking of getting an apple tag & a 3d printed holder to glue on. Then when up the mountain give it to buddy for tracking if getting split up

Edit :- interesting…. https://www.geeky-gadgets.com/apple-airtag-mount-18-01-2022/

Thanks for the suggestions.

....Though I like the idea of an adjustable loop that can adjust small enough to prevent the skis being eased out.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Old Fartbag,
Put something cheap on them lunchtime for insurance purposes and take the fecking things to bed with you at night Twisted Evil
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd skip the audio alarm but that's just me. I haven't owned a ski lock in years. I just lock em up at night in a locker, in the car or in the room. During the day I just separate them when I put them on a rack and I have never had them stolen because nobody wants to steal just 1 ski.
ski holidays
If you feel you need to use stuff like this, surely you should try another less criminal village?
snow report
@Old Fartbag, we use something a bit like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/QWORK-Combination-Security-Retractable-Snowboard/dp/B094VTKHGF/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1CF4D4LMY8ZPV&keywords=cable+lock&qid=1669364113&sprefix=cable+lock%2Caps%2C130&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21

I don't think they're very secure having borrowed a lifty's pliers to cut one once (had borrowed a friends and didn't know the combination) but they discourage (most importantly) idiots who don't know the colour of their own skis and if asked if needed I can honestly say they were locked while stolen.
latest report
Actually, as you don't need to carry this around with you, you could use a much beefier lock if you felt like it.
No need to have these portable easily cut things. I would get the biggest proper lock I'd be happy carrying.
Or take my gear to my room... usually possible discretely. If they stop you, tell them you're leaving the next day etc.

Quote:
If you feel you need to use stuff like this, surely you should try another less criminal village?
My fanciest snowboard and bindings cost about £1,500 to replace, plus hassle cost.
I have cameras of that sort of value, and I'd not leave those in a ski room overnight either!
I love that other people do not secure their stuff though - that makes mine safer.
snow conditions
Thanks all for the suggestions.

@musher, I have a cheap lock that I bought years ago at EB.....which is really for insurance purposes and stopping a numpty or an opportunist taking them. It is my intention to take them to the room - but I don't know how the hotel feels about that. This is the first place I have stayed (that isn't a small chalet) which doesn't have a means of securing the skis in the Ski Room - and is what triggered this discussion.

@skithesteelstealtheski, That is the conclusion I've come to. Unless well implemented, I think it would be a pain. Normally I would separate skis - but rather unusually, I am taking the exact same skis, in the same length, as my Daughter (with easily movable rail bindings), so separating them doesn't work - which is the first time that has ever happened.

@telford_mike, I think there are opportunists everywhere - and I don't think Tignes Lac is a particular hotspot.....but I am more paranoid having had skis nicked at L2A, which was rife that year. I think there was a known gang steeling hundreds of pairs of skis a season - which I only found out about after they were stolen.

@under a new name, As said above - that's the sort thing I already own (bought after having skis stolen over 20 years ago)....but I'm now contemplating something that can't be cut through in 2 secs by a Leatherman ie The Safeman or the BBB Microloop cycle lock.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 28-11-22 17:18; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
I have one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SAFEMAN-Multifunctional-Cable-Lock-Red/dp/B0042KE08C/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3J5FW3H49TC0E&keywords=safeman+cable+bike+lock&qid=1669370589&sprefix=safeman%2Caps%2C753&sr=8-3&tag=amz07b-21

Very robust and no pointy sticky out bits when retracted and in a pocket. Doubled in price in 6 years though.
snow report
Swanky looking hotel! I can see why there might be the odd raised eyebrow if you’re lugging skis through the lobby, into lifts and to your room…but probably followed by a Gallic shrug Laughing
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
I have one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SAFEMAN-Multifunctional-Cable-Lock-Red/dp/B0042KE08C/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3J5FW3H49TC0E&keywords=safeman+cable+bike+lock&qid=1669370589&sprefix=safeman%2Caps%2C753&sr=8-3&tag=amz07b-21

Very robust and no pointy sticky out bits when retracted and in a pocket. Doubled in price in 6 years though.

I really liked the look of it until I saw a YouTube video of it being easily opened with a slim metal hook, which pushed the gripping teeth back and allowed the cable to be pulled out. Now the chances of that happening are very slim (and much slimmer than someone having a Leatherman) - but there is a convenient video showing you how to bypass it. Sad
latest report
Cacciatore wrote:
Swanky looking hotel! I can see why there might be the odd raised eyebrow if you’re lugging skis through the lobby, into lifts and to your room…but probably followed by a Gallic shrug Laughing

If the hotel was swanky, it would have lockable ski lockers. Skullie

Here's hoping for a Gallic shrug.
snow report
There is a Youtube video showing how easily every single lock in the world can be opened. If you know how...

I was on the look out for a new combination padlock for use at the swimming baths. And looked at several on YouTube. Where one picker said one was difficult, the next one was in within seconds with his eyes closed.
latest report
@Old Fartbag, we use these ski locks, they are quite robust and lock the poles at the same time.

https://www.loqski.com/
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, Sad
latest report
@James the Last, I think you're right. Ideally, I am looking for the following characteristics:

- Portable
- Robust enough to withstand a Leatherman
- Be reasonably flexible ie. Not too stiff
- Versatile and not fiddly to use
- Reasonably hard to pick/bypass
- Long enough wire
- Able to secure 2 pairs of skis - not worried about poles, as these come with me at all times.
- Sensibly priced

Atm I think the Safeman meets many of these - The chances of an opportunist having the means and knowledge to bypass it is very unlikely. My other choice is the BBB MicroLoop, which is more robust, but less portable and maybe more cumbersome.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 25-11-22 12:33; edited 2 times in total
latest report
terrygasson wrote:
@Old Fartbag, we use these ski locks, they are quite robust and lock the poles at the same time.

https://www.loqski.com/

All suggestions appreciated.

I think it only covers one set of skis.....and it gets pricey if you buy 2 along with tethers.

Just for anyone looking at this thread for ideas, I have also come across these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ski-Security-Lock/dp/B01M9I7ZMG?tag=amz07b-21

https://8gent.com/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a Safeman for cycling, which I'll also use for skis this winter - I don't think anything portable is going to be that secure, mainly you are looking to deter opportunism.

It can be bought cheaper here https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessorieslocks/safeman-compact-pocket-cable-lock/ than that Amazon link.
latest report
A different price category, and designed more for bikes than skis though they do makes some smaller ones, but https://litelok.com make really decent locks (though for reasons hinted at by @James the Last, I still wouldn't touch anything with a combi lock).

For skis, I still only use a small wire lock, because it's a deterrent against idiots rather than proper security, but I understand the problem and have heard similar stories about boot rooms in France. Hotels often have another entrance round the back somewhere – find it you can bring your skis in without traipsing snow through the lobby.
snow conditions
Now looking at this (recommendation from a bicycle shop):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Lock-8418D-Adjustable-Diameter/dp/B00006407M/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2JDQNJGYO8T8U&keywords=Master%2BLock%2BPython%2BAdjustable%2BLocking%2BCable&qid=1669376794&sprefix=master%2Block%2Bpython%2Badjustable%2Blocking%2Bcable%2B%2Caps%2C98&sr=8-5&th=1&tag=amz07b-21

There is also a 5mm version.
snow report
I use one of these - just have to be careful not to forget the keys!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Safeman-230001-Multifunktion-Lock-Black/dp/B00116VEDY/ref=sr_1_7?crid=15HJPGOT3SQ1S&keywords=safeman+cable+bike+lock&qid=1669379415&sprefix=safeman+cab%2Caps%2C80&sr=8-7&tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
Leonard Smalls wrote:
I use one of these - just have to be careful not to forget the keys!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Safeman-230001-Multifunktion-Lock-Black/dp/B00116VEDY/ref=sr_1_7?crid=15HJPGOT3SQ1S&keywords=safeman+cable+bike+lock&qid=1669379415&sprefix=safeman+cab%2Caps%2C80&sr=8-7&tag=amz07b-21

Excellent - that's cheaper than the Safeman on Amazon I linked to above.

Having just seen how easy the Python cycle lock was to shim open - and how easy cheap combo locks are to open - I now think this seems to give the best compromise of the things I'm looking for - and at a better price.
ski holidays
In 20 years we've had 2 pairs of skis go from outside restaurants and both sets werent locked. We lock ours with simple locks and some times we split them, but friends dont tend to do that as they have that holiday vibe, and its their skis that go

In our view, one was a theft as the bar wasnt far from a road. The other we felt was someone picking up the wrong ski's as its a bar where every night they round up ski's left behind.

The main problem was getting back to the resort without ski's particularly after the lifts had shut

We use the lock so in either situation, they move on somewhere else
snow report
Just take your skis to your room and ignore anyone that says you can't ... what are they really going to do?
latest report
@Scarlet, there is seemingly no lock that can't be opened in moments - even (or indeed particularly) those requiring keys. In the hands of a skilled operator a good combination lock appears to be a smidgen slower to get open than a keyed padlock.

I suggest that most ski thefts are mistakes - so easily mitigated by a cheap lock; and unless you're on the latest rocket-powered skis, mostly people won't be nicking them.
latest report
James the Last wrote:
I suggest that most ski thefts are mistakes - so easily mitigated by a cheap lock; and unless you're on the latest rocket-powered skis, mostly people won't be nicking them.

Yep and that's what I have a cheap cable lock for, to prevent people taking them by mistake. And I know how easilly it can happen having skied with one of these "ski theives". The theory of stopping at a quiet spot for a quick coffee so just skiing up and stepping out of our skis was fine...till the person who stopped on my left clipped in to the skis on my right when we set back off Smile
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:

If the hotel was swanky, it would have lockable ski lockers. Skullie

Here's hoping for a Gallic shrug.

They probably spent all their money on the decor….
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
Hotels often have another entrance round the back somewhere – find it you can bring your skis in without traipsing snow through the lobby.

Many hotels I’ve stayed have separate entrance for the boot room. Then you can walk into the main building from there. Just carry the skis from the boot room in and up to your room.

I still don’t feel one need to be so worried about thieves in the ski storage room. Just lock it with a simple lock to prevent mistakes by others should be sufficient. If someone really want your skis, they’ll get it no matter what kind of locks you have.
latest report
Mjit wrote:
James the Last wrote:

Yep and that's what I have a cheap cable lock for, to prevent people taking them by mistake. And I know how easilly it can happen having skied with one of these "ski theives". The theory of stopping at a quiet spot for a quick coffee so just skiing up and stepping out of our skis was fine...till the person who stopped on my left clipped in to the skis on my right when we set back off Smile

Even worse as one sH who shall remain nameless on an EOSB not only stole a pair of skis but had spyderjon adjust them because the bindings weren't quite clicking in right.....before he realised the pair he had rented were a completely different make.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy