Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What thing do you wish there was a better solution to

Poster: A snowHead
When on a ski trip , what things do you wish there was a better way of doing/ a better solution to the issue

I'll start - I wish there was a better way to stash all your bags/ helmets and goggles when sitting in the bar at lunch so they don't end up on the floor/ or getting covered in drink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i use/wear a protector shorts. However when i have to drive back home , i cannot have it in the car while driving. I wish there are in all the resorts some cabins where someone can change clothes etc.
So i dont have to do it in the parking, or worst...in the WC....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wish there was a way you could better notice undulations and bumps in terrain on poor visibility/flat light days - like fog lights on your ski tips or boots
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lift lines to be better regulated and chairs to be full during busy periods, how hard is it to put up roped off lanes so as you can funnel down to the lifts, with a separate line for single skiers to fill up spare seats.
I.E. a 4man chair have 5no lanes, it would also stop the cockwombles who go through the barriers, then immediately stop and wait for their mates who are further back to come through!!

I have experienced this in America, and it still amazes me that resorts in Europe (though there may be some), do not adopt this

i know we are on holiday and should chill out, but there is nothing more annoying than a big lift queue, whilst watching chairs depart with lots of spare capacity on them!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
love the word CockWomble Laughing

the lift queues are always carnage and such a waste of skiing time
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
wnhall wrote:

I'll start - I wish there was a better way to stash all your bags/ helmets and goggles when sitting in the bar at lunch so they don't end up on the floor/ or getting covered in drink

There is. One of the restaurants here (Chez Gaby 1670 at Champoussin) has seats which lift up to access a storage area beneath. Big enough for a small rucksack, certainly ample space for helmet gloves and goggles.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
terrygasson wrote:

I have experienced this in America, and it still amazes me that resorts in Europe (though there may be some), do not adopt this

It requires people, people cost money. Not everybody would be happy for lift pass prices to go up even more in order to allow this.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Genius
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wish that the national train companies could get over their boundary issues and lack of collaboration in order to get prices which enable them to rival airlines (within reason, given the anti-environment subsidies given to airlines) - I really want to travel by train not plane, but they JUST CAN’T GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER - my route is Cambridge London - France - Paris - Geneva - CH - Sierre. It’s seamless Cambridge to Paris. Simple. But ticketing for the full journey is complex and tedious - and the prices eye-watering compared with plane.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 27-01-23 15:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
valais2 wrote:
I wish that the national train companies could get over their boundary issues and lack of collaboration in order to get prices which enable them to rival airlines (within reason, given the anti-environment subsidies given to airlines) - I really want to travel by train not plane, but they JUST CAN’T GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER.
this x 1000
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh yes….one more thing I wish that there was a better solution to….

Idiots & Inconsiderate People

But with idiocy being fuelled by social media - (whose reality is it anyway) - that’s all pretty hopeless. So we’ll just have to put up with debuntant fall-line straight-liners, mid-piste stoppers, and egotists.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
would you pay extra on the lift pass to put snipers ontop of the chairlift posts ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wnhall wrote:
would you pay extra on the lift pass to put snipers ontop of the chairlift posts ?

Could they multitask and take out anyone playing music on a loud speaker on the slopes?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@wnhall, now there’s a thought.

More seriously I would definitely welcome local authorities giving more powers to pisteurs and increasing the number of pisteurs so they could have a quick word with people.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Chaletbeauroc, how much money would it cost to string out some lines at the start of the season, and leave them there?

on amazon you can get 15mx1m orange netting fencing with poles for £30, from memory these were the exact same things that were used on the lift entrances in America, multiply by 6 for a 4man chair plus single line =£180, hardly breaks the bank over a season!!!

after that it does not require any more staff as people will just funnel into the lanes once they pass through the gate, there is always a liftie at the chair anyway, so they can ensure the seats are then filled up via the single line.
snow report
Oh yes…one more thing

What thing do you wish there was a better solution to?

Climate change

As an environmental professional said to me recently ‘why do I not want to talk about this tonight? Because basically we are f——-d….’

Oh dear.
snow conditions
i wish in the alps were more pisteurs and take the ski passes from some idiots who think they are shaun white or Marchel Hirscher od Bode Miller (but they can not stop if they need do) and they are trying to show how fast / trendy the are in kids areas
snow conditions
Quote:

When on a ski trip , what things do you wish there was a better way of doing/ a better solution to the issue

I'd love to be able to finish a Fondue without feeling like the wolf from "The Wolf and the Seven Little Kids"* after they've filled his belly with boulders

*Obscure Ladybird Well Loved Tales reference
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
terrygasson wrote:

It requires people, people cost money. Not everybody would be happy for lift pass prices to go up even more in order to allow this.

I've seen it work without supervision plenty of times in Canada. Only 5mins extra work at the start and end of the day for the lifty. Bamboo poles and a bit of tape are not expensive.
snow report
SIM card with european data roaming which actually includes Switzerland and Andorra.
ski holidays
Noise suppression for snowboards on hard pistes please
snow conditions
@terrygasson, @Chaletbeauroc, well regulated lift lines happen all by themselves in Scotland and they are very well self policed.

@terrygasson, stringing out ropes at the start of the season doesn't really work when you can quite reasonably expect snow depths greater than say 100 cms ... which is probably anywhere that fancies itself as a ski resort.
snow report
@HilbertSpace, well, before a year or so ago, your SIM card would cover CH and Andorra... oh wait, what?
snow report
@ol_smokey, absolutely

….how about ski poles that you can unbend without them almost bending back but then snapping?….
ski holidays
wnhall wrote:

Decent bars have hooks everywhere. The underside of bars and tables. This is where backpacks are ace, cram everything in your backpack and helmet, clip the two together and hook. Compact, collected, easy to keep an eye on and grab and go on exit.
snow report

The Anterior Cruciate Ligament

Redesigned and renamed:

The New T2000 Knee Joint

See:

https://heroprop.com/product/terminator-2-judgment-day-endoskeleton-leg-knee-joint/

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 27-01-23 17:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
wnhall wrote:

Hooks!
snow report
@under a new name,

Quote:

@terrygasson, stringing out ropes at the start of the season doesn't really work when you can quite reasonably expect snow depths greater than say 100 cms ... which is probably anywhere that fancies itself as a ski resort.

fair point, but as @boarder2020, mentioned it wouldn't take long at the start and finish of each day.

but hey ho, as the OP asked, it was only a wish and seeing as it has been over 30years since i first saw it in the states, and i am not holding my breath for it to happen in the alps.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A solution to the OP's problem. Restaurant at the top of Crest Voland had nice gingham bags on the back of the chairs for gloves, goggles etc.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
A solution to the OP's problem. Restaurant at the top of Crest Voland had nice gingham bags on the back of the chairs for gloves, goggles etc.

Great solution , but not everywhere . I guess I need to take a portable hook
latest report
* Toilets that aren't down a flight of shallow narrow stairs.
* Snow cannons that don't run on bluebird days
* A uniform standard of piste classification (as assessed by me Smile )
* Foldable skis that didn't cost €1300 with no performance compromises
* Skis that reliably clip together and effortlessly unclip when carrying
* Windproof lift infrastucture
* Jackets with chest pockets designed to avoid allowing your mobile phone to escape when you forget to zip them up
* Effective magic spray to prevent goggles and glasses from fogging up without regard to ventilation, wiping strategy, or other reasons why the fogging is my fault rather than a design defect in the fundamental constants of the universe.
* For skiing in the backseat to be an effective technique in all conditions
* A hyperloop from GVA to the 3Vs, that only I know about
snow conditions
I vote for the lift capacity filler ( where necessary) followed by nutter control on the pistes. Really I've only ordered them that way because of likelihood. If someone could eliminate unsafe skiers that'd be the greatest gift barring climate change reversal.
latest report
Dyrlac wrote:
* A hyperloop from GVA to the 3Vs, that only I know about

Yep, I've already got one of those, I don't tell anyone where the entrance is, and I've moved both ends to suit my own journey Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
magic carpets or rope pulls whenever you need to pole punt to get to a lift

speed signs with smiley faces like on roads - with limits on greens/blues and piste patrol to enforce it

reliable grading so you know what to expect in different resorts

crowd control/capacity on slopes
snow conditions
@wnhall, goggles (in gogglesox ideally) in first to helmet then gloves then helmet hooked on chair back, not perfect but ... backpack hooked over seat back.

Finding increasingly that places are fitting nice hooks or other things for just this need.
latest report
Coffee France
ski holidays
Thunderhole toilets to be replaced with proper ones in the few places they still exist.
snow report
@HilbertSpace, Lebara includes Switzerland but not Andorra, but also Canada.

I'm currently on a sim only deal for 15GB data, unlimited calls and texts for the extortionate £1.34 a month.
latest report
The pickle ticklers who think it is acceptable to roll out of a bar at 3AM and sing at the top of their voices whilst staggering past my hotel room waking me and half the hotel up !!
snow report

Easy resolution of the physical and metaphysical laws constraining time travel

Then.....

I could decide NOT to get my phone out on that lift and oooops ...
I could also decide not to ski over that shark fin in the woods in Chandolin
And not buy those skis which were brilliantly reviewed but turned out to be complete pants
And point out early that research into bat viruses might be a bad idea
We could reverse Brexit
And then reverse the terms under which we went in through Maasricht and get a better basis for being European so then we wouldn't have needed Brexit anyway
And then reverse the decision to go with the internal combustion engine and actually support the further development of the first electric car (1828!)
And then....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy