Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

maverick 88ti vs ripstick 88

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
ok pretty much as above.....hive mind advice please.

30 something advanced skier seeking at new ski, I'm 193cm and about 80kg. currently skiing a 2016 volkl kendo in a 184 with a 22m radius. its a great ski but weights more than my car Smile.

I live in Scotland and generally ski 2/3 weeks per year in the alps and as many days as I can manage at home so clearly I need a bit of a jack of all trades ski, as I can expect firm ungroomed snow in Scotland, hard pack ice and right the way to beautiful groomed slopes of as we had last week in Saalbach 4-5 inches of fresh on piste.

I ski 80% on piste with the occasional trip off piste or through the trees / under the lift line but I don't think that justifies a big ski. I like all turn shapes from big GS turns to short snappy ones, the Kendo is very poor at short turns.

Been looking at either the maverick 88ti in 184 again or the elan ripstick in either 180 / 188 both offer a much lighter ski with. smaller radius but I would want to hear views of people who have skied them

I'm back in Scotland just now with zero snow / the fridge is shut so testing is a no go.

Ive seen both set ups online at very good prices so I'll probably order before my next trip which is in 4 weeks.

Thoughts? anyone skied both....anyone got strong feelings either way?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've no comparison @enduroaid, to offer and they both look good too, right in that 90mm waist zone that I feel makes a great all round ski for piste/crud/soft side etc, seems to cover much.

If it was my money to spend, I couldn't resist trying that Elan Ripstick 88 with asymmetric edges, just a slim finger of carbon in the composite to bring the gemoetry difference into sharper focus and seemingly a step into intelligent subtle development path.

Looks really interesting without being gimmicky.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I demoed the ripsticks in winter 2021 and they were a really fun ski. I ended up buying the Nordica enforcer 88s because I wanted a bit more of the Kendo type stability at speed but the ripsticks were a close second out of 4-5 different skis I tried (not the mavericks though). They were just a really fun lively ski that was easy to turn. Atomic makes great skis too and the maverick gets great reviews so you'll probably be happy either way. These guys do really good reviews:
https://www.skiessentials.com/2023-ski-test/skis/2023-elan-ripstick-88/

https://www.skiessentials.com/2023-ski-test/skis/2023-atomic-maverick-88-ti/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I skied the Ripstick 88s (172cm) last year in Tignes. They were great fun on piste, a joy in the moguls and floated nicely in the odd bit of powder off the side of the piste. The lightness definitely helps to reduce the fatigue at the end of the day.

However if you like to ski fast I would probably look elsewhere... once you get to ~ 75km/h they were flapping all over the place and it wasn't confidence inspiring. On the flipside it does force you to actually make carving turns rather than just straight-lining since they're much more stable under tension on edge than flat on the snow.

This year I switched to some Nordica Enforcer 88s and fell in love with them. Definitely heavier but if you're a fit 30-something I don't think you'd find it an issue.

I'm considering selling the ripsticks or maybe just keeping them for days when I'm just doing some easy cruising or trying to learn some tricks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh also the sizes run short... the 172cm is actually more like 168cm.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure whether this is helpful but my son skis the maverick 95 ti which he preferred to the Ripstick 96 which he demo’d before purchase and found a little noodly. I’ve skied the 2017 90mm vantage tivery happily and for what you propose think the atomics might be a better choice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dan100 wrote:
Not sure whether this is helpful but my son skis the maverick 95 ti which he preferred to the Ripstick 96 which he demo’d before purchase and found a little noodly. I’ve skied the 2017 90mm vantage tivery happily and for what you propose think the atomics might be a better choice.
+1
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You don't say which ripstick you want. I would not get a rip stick for piste skiing, for your type of skiing I would get a piste ski. Rip stick is light and not good on hardpack/ice, great all round ski though if you're going off piste a lot, or short tours. I have skied the rip stick in 88 and 96, if you are set on it, get the 88 for Scotland/pistes abroad.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy