Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good All Mountain Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Im 177cm tall male, ski all the pistes, am a reasonable skier I hope Smile

Looking for something thats a little more forgiving when I hit the trees in between runs or the off piste skips, still 95% piste skiing I guess but would love something thats twin tips too so I can try and ski backwards )

Any reccomendations, Id love to buy 2nd hand if possible, I found a website ski barn, they have a lot of cool stuff but dont seem to reply to mails, so would love some recomendations please?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some further info might help:

- What do you weigh?
- What do you currently ski on?
- Are you replacing your current skis or getting these as well?
- If you end up with 2 sets of skis, will you be bringing both with you? - You don't want to make too many compromises, for 5% of your skiing
- If your current skis are Piste Skis, are you looking for something wider?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
85kg give or take, so a few more with ski equipment on
I guess I rent normally and get 170cm ish or something
never owened skis
only want one pair
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bought some big Kastlè twin tips from ski barn last year (so post br**** and tail of covid etc) as described, arrived on time and all as layed out in photo/description, fine from that experience.

Really like twins too, more for overall characteristic and not seeking hugely potent edge grip from tips like a slalom ski delivery. Generally great fun with my current all round ski a Kastlè XX90 sadly not currently made and bought new old stock, but a lovely blend of true twin geometry with very good edge grip blend into overall softer tip and tail.

Scott punisher range worth a look for this area of ski design, and maybe more available on secondhand Market.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sarny wrote:
85kg give or take, so a few more with ski equipment on
I guess I rent normally and get 170cm ish or something
never owened skis
only want one pair

Ok, thanks. Some more questions to pin things down.

Are you looking for:

A Piste Ski (68 - 74)
A wide Piste Ski (80-82)
A narrow AM Ski (84-86)
An AM Ski (88-95)

About you:
- How many weeks skiing have you done
- How aggressive are you
- Do you have a turn shape preference
- What is the widest ski you have been on.
- You said above that you spend 95% of your time On Piste....do you intend spending more time away from the Piste, if you go for something wider?

Ski Character
- Light/Playful/Fun/Easier and less tiring to ski
- Stiff/Damp/Hard Charging/Harder to Pilot
- Something in between

Have you hired something that you really enjoyed?
Can you hire different skis at different widths to pin down what you like?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The looking for I guess is what I dont know, I want something thats good all round, im not desperate to go head first down blacks at the speed of light, but I also dont want to have to side step down one, I want everything Smile This is kind of what im asking.

I dont think I want anything like 95 wide, ive seen them and they seem pretty phat, cant imagine them on piste.

Ive done maybe 20 weeks, 1 or 2 a year?

Not sure how agressive, not super agressive I dont think. Widest ski, no idea, cant have been that wide tho at all.

Dont even know what turn shape is Tbh, so no preference and Id like to just have something thats a bit more adaptable when going down the side of a piste or un groomed runs, wouldnt mind some twin tips to see if I can mess around too

Wouldnt mind something in between for hardness, wouldnt mind trying to be a little more playful, but Im still going to be a groomer man I guess, I love going down a nice slope.

Never hired anything out of the norm, havent really found the shops that do huge variety.

Thankyou
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Sarny, Re Turn Shape.....some people like shorter reactive skis with a Slalom radius of around 12m, as they like Short Turns. Others like a more GS radius for longer turns say 20-22m. A typical Piste ski radius is a happy medium, usually 14-16m.

If you have only been on Piste skis, you need to make sure that you don't make too many compromises by going too wide, with too much Rocker. You are still predominantly a Piste skier.

Something like the Head Titan is a fun Piste Ski, with a little extra width (80 under foot) to help with deeper snow....but it is very much a fun performance Piste ski. For a more AM design, look at the Kore X85, which is forgiving, light and playful.

The new Rossignol Experience range could work very well for you. They have an AM design, but a Piste orientated one. The range has 2 widths - 82 and 86 and comes in Basalt (lighter and more playful) and Titanal (heavier and a bit stiffer).

Like the Rossi above, I think the Volkl Deacon 84 is an AM ski with strong Piste performance and would expect to be a fun experience.

I would avoid Blizzard and probably Nordica if looking for a ski on the more playful side. They generally make damp, hard charging skis.

I can't really advise on 2nd hand skis, as I don't know what is available.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the help, anything youd reccomend off ski barn?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Blizzard Brahma 82 (82mm underfoot, 173cm length, 15m radius) perfect for you.

Been on blizzard years, amazing skis. These will do all you need and more.
YouTube ski test reviews.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sarny wrote:
Thanks for the help, anything youd reccomend off ski barn?

After a quick look, I don't see anything that jumps out at me.

You could keep an eye on Glisshop and Ekosport. You might pay a bit more, but will have more choice and get new skis at a discounted price.

I have given my opinion on how to go about getting something that might suit and the brands to look out for. Recommending skis for someone else is very difficult.....which is why I ask so many questions.

I'm very light (64 kg) and like skis that have a playful side, whilst not being too skittish. I think Rossignol, Dynastar, Head, Scott, Volkl and Atomic generally do this very well. Blizzard make great skis, but I personally have never found them playful - but very stable (though they are making them lighter, so that could be changing somewhat).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank guys, and im guessing any length between 165-170 for me?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ursoporo wrote:
Blizzard Brahma 82 (82mm underfoot, 173cm length, 15m radius) perfect for you.

Been on blizzard years, amazing skis. These will do all you need and more.
YouTube ski test reviews.

Where can I find these, I cant find on ski barn, also, are they a little long?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can reccommend the Salomon QST 92. I've got one for 5 years now and it's good in pretty much everwhere I've been.
To quote Skiessentials reviewers, "If you don't know what to get, get these".

http://youtube.com/v/bLQ4lPDmB_o
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sarny, for pure piste and short turns I would go 165. Eg I’m about
179 and 84kg and have atomic redster S9 inn165.

If I was going more GS length turns then I’d be looking at 170+.

For all mountain I have Kaestle HP95 in 181.

So don’t stick on one size.

If I was you and looking for one ski to do it all I’d be looking at 175, 85mm waist if a twin tip. If not twin tip, a 170+ head titan for piste and crud or just off the side of the piste.

I’m just a bloke that skis. I’m no expert.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

something thats a little more forgiving when I hit the trees in between runs or the off piste

IMO you want something a bit wider than 92 ...
ski holidays
Can i offer up the Elan Ripsticks 88. I am 180cm and about the same weight, ability and wanted exactly out of a ski you need.

The rocker is huge on them so great in the bumps and powder on the side of the piste. But really light, nimble but hold an edge at speed. I have really enjoyed them so far. I would go for the 177cm as the 172cm are too short for me.

Hope that helps
ski holidays
@Sarny, This thread has the potential of going around in circles.

Until you can pin down what you want from a ski, it's hard to come up with specific advice.

As @GlasgowCyclops has said, the length of ski is determined by a) What you want it to do. (b) Preference. (c) The stiffness of the ski. (e) Your weight/ability/aggressiveness.

At 85kg your rough ski sizes would be:

Piste Ski : 176 (Intermediate; 179 (Advanced)
AM Ski: +3; For Freeride +6

The big question is - How much Piste performance are you prepared to give up, to make Off Piste easier?.....And to a big extent, that depends on how often and how far from the piste you go.
latest report
95% piste skiing you want sub 90mm I'd say personally, whatever you get is a compromise, a decent piste ski at sub 80mm will perform great on piste, perfectly skiable off piste but won't give you any assistance with extra float. 100mm twin rockered OP ski will help you in the trees but won't be as good on piste and potentially very poor on hard icy pistes.
snow conditions
@kitenski, yeah, I see your point, but tbh, I spend quite a bit of time on piste and don't find my 98-100mms a serious compromise. But it's not my first, or second rodeo.

If I knew I'd be 95% on piste, I'd probably go e.g. Brahma or even something very piste (e.f. Nordica Dobermann or Spitfire) and make up for the off piste with technique.
snow report
@under a new name, but you’re not the OP! Toofy Grin
snow report
@kitenski, indeed not.

@Sarny, I'd be a little concerned that 170-ish was a bit short? (maybe/maybe not) and you can ski backwards without being on twin tips !
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

@Sarny, I'd be a little concerned that 170-ish was a bit short?

It is for the OP's weight (13 St 5 Lbs) - and that's for a Piste ski.
snow report
Am I fat ? Eh oh! I'm pretty lean.

Is 170 that much diff to 173 ?

Thanks for this, I guess I'm probs just gonna go for a pure piste ski as thats pretty much all I do, and can still point down in rough bits, I don't go like miles off, just down the side and sometimes ungroomed runs.

So sub 80 I guess it is. I think I'd like twin tips just to make messing around a bit more comfy I guess, but probs end up with some piste ones without.

Does ski barn have any that anyone would look good for me ? Any other places you can buy second hand skis ?
ski holidays
OP just be aware some of these "experts" haven't seen snow in years
snow conditions
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134010624495?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=XoO42VWeS92&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=ZC7iGZZWT3y&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144504025930?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=XoO42VWeS92&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=ZC7iGZZWT3y&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134351167303?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=XoO42VWeS92&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=ZC7iGZZWT3y&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144428966804?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=XoO42VWeS92&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=ZC7iGZZWT3y&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The rebels look good I thought, I was thinking the k2 as all maintain and a bit more fun but they may be too long ?

Any of these fit the bill?
ski holidays
OP just be aware some of these "experts" haven't seen snow in years
snow report
@Sarny, A ski doesn't know how fat you are - only how heavy....and that can be all lean muscle. Skullie

FWIW. Of the skis you listed, I like the look of the Rebels. I (64kg) hired some Head iMagnums in a 170 and loved them. Fun, stable and reactive skis. Versatile turn radius (16.7m) and should work very nicely for an Advanced skier.

IMV The K2s are not too long.....They have a generous front rocker, so will likely feel shorter On Piste. 16m is a versatile turn radius. Should work nicely as an AM ski.
snow conditions
Probably gonna cop those k2s, still seem a little long basically my height or slightly bigger but appreciate the rocker may be big
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sarny, Assuming you mean the K2 PINNACLE? They are from season 2017/18 - I'd get something else newer personally as I'm guessing ex hire stock and very used! When are you off skiing as you'd usually see end of season sales on this/last years unused stock from mid March onwards.
snow report
Worth checking the Uk for sale groups on Facebook, something like this looks good from a very quick look.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/britishbackcountrysale/permalink/1573377369786326/?sale_post_id=1573377369786326
snow report
I’m 180cm tall and 85kg, I mainly ski 95% piste (all grades and am a strong skier who skis fast GS style turns when on piste) I used to have a set of head monsters 78 (177 long & 78 underfoot) for piste skiing and the odd off piste skin/tour. I also owned a set of Atomic powder skis.And I used to take both sets with me on all ski trips, when you had proper powder the atomics were great, on piste I could still ski any slope but they just felt crap, flappy and overall they just felt dead. 99% of the time they were left in the kit bag as proper decent powder is so far and few between, So I sold these after a few years as it was just not worth carting around two sets with me as anything upto a foot of fresh snow the monsters were ok and were better when on piste skiing whilst going over/linking to the off piste routes than the full powder skis were.

When my head monsters were due for change I purchased Head I-Titans back in 2016, these are 177cm long & 81mm underfoot. And I can say honestly they are the best skis I’ve ever used or owned. These are now due a change and I will be buying another set of I-Titans.

They just work everywhere we’ll for me. And cope admirably in any fresh snow off piste upto a couple of feet.
latest report
@Sarny if you're still looking I've a pair of salomon xdr84 in 178cm that would be pretty much spot on for your requirements ?
snow report
You really need to go and try some. Of the ones you listed, I tried Head WC Rebels and Salomon Force last week and they are very different. I don't know how you could possibly make a decision or take a recommendation without having some idea how they will feel.
snow conditions
I mean I rent every year so I guess im just going to take what I get and if Im deeply unhappy then just sell and try again.
ski holidays
@depthjunkie, & @andybomb1, are absolutely right. In all of your experiences with hire skis, have you not had any preference as to which skis you prefer?

Pick the ones you felt most confident on and either try more from the same manufacturer or more of the same type from different manufacturers and narrow down the choices.

If you really can't tell the difference between any skis, then go for anything and you'll be fine.
snow report
WHat would people think of these, good reviews for piste focused?

https://www.skibarn.co.uk/skis-adults/blizzard-firebird-competition-166cm-season-201920.html
ski holidays
@Sarny, sorry to be so blunt but no, those Blizzards aren't suitable - they're way above your level. They're a stiff one trick pony for a high level skier who wants to carve all day. No offence, but from your comments and experience level, I doubt you can carve so you'll get nothing out of them. Your opening post basically says that you want an everyday ski that you can also develop on so you need an all-rounder. Something around 80mm waist, not rock hard (stiff) mid-high 170s for length with around 16m turn radius.

That's a very popular ski bracket and you're unlikely to find something suitable for under £200 on a public site like ski barn because those kinds of skis get easily sold to mates and acquaintances. Ski barn has the stuff that's difficult to move because they're unpopular, specialist or an unusual size. It's the wrong place to look.

Frankly, you should up your budget and buy something that's a good development tool, otherwise it's just a waste of your money. Something like these would be very suitable in a 176cm: https://www.ekosport.co.uk/rossignol-experience-82-ti-k-nx-12-gw-b90-blk-chr-23-p-9-93967.html They do a cheaper basalt version but at 85kg you should pay the extra for the titanal one here.
snow report
This thread has got me thinking. Do any instructors / guides have a partnership with rental shops to work with people and help them choose suitable skis? I get that more often than not it will turn into a lesson but given that we pay for everything else why don’t we pay to get proper help when choosing £500 skis that a log of people don’t have much of a clue about or have even tried on their feet.

I have never managed to be in the right place at the right time for a demo day.
snow report
@Sarny, you keep linking to skibarn, why is that?
latest report
Cheap.

Bought some rossingol experience 84s, 176cm which is basically my height.

Some may say that's a bad buy, I guess I'll find out
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy