Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long Stay Visa - France

Poster: A snowHead
We’re just about to start the process of applying for our long stay visa for France through TLS.

Just interested if any other Snowhead has applied recently and how long it took for your passport to be returned.

Last year we kept it within the 90 days (just) but our daughter got the visa which was straightforward with her passport and visa returned in 12 days.

TLS seems to have more warnings about fraudulent applications than previously years so any feedback about recent experiences would be grateful.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@muppet, TLS?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hells Bells, https://visas-fr.tlscontact.com/visa/gb
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
muppet wrote:
@Hells Bells, https://visas-fr.tlscontact.com/visa/gb

Instead of going to the French Consult in Edinburgh they send us to the TLS office in Princes Street
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@muppet, thanks
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I got my long stay work Visa back last week. Took 15 days.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@muppet, I have had a couple of the 6 month ones and two weeks seems about par.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@snowrider, @HammondR, Thanks our appointments are on 26 September so hopefully we should have it back in the same sort of timescale.

For anyone else going through the process we did have an issue getting an appointment.

As instructed on the website for a married couple we created a group for the appointment.
Unfortunately this is then a different appointment system and no appointments Edinburgh at all.
The helpline split the group and we were able to easily get individual slots that suited.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As retirement gets closer I start to think more about this.
Can I ask how long this lets you stay?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The VLS-T option allows for stays of upto 6 months, normally with multiple entries.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quick update on our long stay tourist visa application
The appointment took 25 minutes and it apparently helped that we had an early 0830 appointment as things tend to back up as the morning goes on.
Passports and visas were back 7 days later.
Collection of the passports took a while (45 minutes) as at 1000 we joined a queue of people both collecting and applying for various visas.
Hint- stand at the double doors in reception in the Edinburgh office so you are the first up the stairs when the staff member takes each group up.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One of my friends applied for one last month (interview in Manchester) and got his passport with long stay visa back in 8 days.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
muppet wrote:
We’re just about to start the process of applying for our long stay visa for France through TLS.

Just interested if any other Snowhead has applied recently and how long it took for your passport to be returned.

Last year we kept it within the 90 days (just) but our daughter got the visa which was straightforward with her passport and visa returned in 12 days.

TLS seems to have more warnings about fraudulent applications than previously years so any feedback about recent experiences would be grateful.

I have used TLS for 3 different French visas, usually you get it back within 14 days. You can track your application online. If you chose the courrier return, your passport is returned special delivery overnight Smile hope this helps
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
noob question - is it mandatory to use TLS? (i.e. is it required to use either TLS, or, any other 'visa servicing' company), or can visas be issued by the consulate?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hamilton wrote:
noob question - is it mandatory to use TLS? (i.e. is it required to use either TLS, or, any other 'visa servicing' company), or can visas be issued by the consulate?

Yes you must use TLS. Offices are London, Manchester or Edinburgh.
snow report
@snowrider, thanks
next qn (for anyone!): for the 'accomodation' requirements, what sort of documentation have people provided:

The form asks for:
"Accommodation
Proof of residency of the host in France: rental agreement or property tirle or, if applicable, statement signed by the host confirming the establishment in France. Any particuliar situation will require an explaination letter."

Is a hotel booking receipt or similar sufficient, as it looks like the question relates to the 'right to reside' of the _host_, which seems a little odd.
snow report
@hamilton, We took a copy of our french house deeds and they asked us to sign a form that we were 2nd homeowners.

A confirmation of accommodation would be all they would need I think.
ski holidays
@hamilton, I provided an invoice for rental payment. If you have any gaps in proof of accommodation then you must provide a statement or information as to the reason.

Last year I had a 2 week accommodation gap after having to make different arrangements at short notice. So I made a simple written declaration that I intended to go on a 2 week hut to hut trip. The whereabouts could not be provided as this was dependent on conditions bla bla bla.

They don't need a ton of information but they do need some for the whole period that you indicate you will be around.
snow conditions
@muppet, @HammondR, thanks both.
The trip I'm planning involves multiple visits over approx six months, with different locations, and is not 'continuous'. (effectively, I want to use a french visa to cover a chunk of what would otherwise be Schengen days that count against the 90in180 rule). I'm beginning to think this won't work.... suspect a discussion with TLS prior to submitting the forms may be needed.
ski holidays
So I take it you can't apply for this if say your plan was to stay in a campervan while travelling around? Unless you got a friendly campsite to give you a booking for "proof" which you could subsequently cancel?
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, there are quite a few doing this on several FB forums, so there must be a way around it. There are lots of hotels available that can be booked and cancelled without charge too. Of course, we could just use our French address, not everyone can. I guess a written statement that you will be travelling between A and Z between dates of X and Y with stops planned at H and J depending on weather conditions might be enough.
ski holidays
Thought with a long term visa you also had to prove you had health insurance?
snow conditions
@Weathercam, a long stay travel insurance policy will include that.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, I seem to recall when I was looking into long term visas Vs residency that you had to have a health plan in place as opposed to insurance and that was very expensive for a year!

Was about £1k for OH and I but that could be because of our ages?

But see now it's just insurance

This pretty well has everything, and I've used the Connection services for a couple of things, most notably switching my van reg to French.

https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en/web/france-visas/frequently-asked-questions#
snow conditions
@Weathercam, All we needed was a copy of our GHIC card.
Though I do understand if you are over 65 there are different requirements, luckily I have over another decade to work this out.
latest report
Our second LSV is in

the TLS computer system isnt great and neither is their helpline. We had issues getting an appointment in Manchester and they suggested accessing their site in different browsers and different internet connections until we found one that worked and then log on at different times of day to see if any appointments had been released
We changed to London and it worked fine

The TLS staff who work in the centre where they accept all of your docs all seemed to be helpful as we could see what was going on either side of us at the desk and we chatted to people in the biometric area.

they seemed to want you to get your application processed but have rules that they must apply. They are making sure your application is correct, not assessing the quality of it in terms of having enough income to support you in France etc

They allowed people to go away and get docs printed etc and then come back but it had to be within 30 mins

As proof of residency we used our Fonciere bill and health cover was our GHIC card, both of which have worked before. As we are skiing for the season, its hard to get insurance cover and the GHIC gets us the same cover as the french and we get Carre Neige for getting us off the mountain and home plus some medical cover

The reasons people were being rejected - errors in name on forms not matching passport, not all the info on the checklist being provided, using a British application process when they didnt have a British passport, the photos not matching the standard which impacts women with longer hair - they like to see your ears plus where your neck meets your shoulders s long hair pulled back

Not having all the docs is weird as they give you a checklist

For staying in rented but touring around, people at our session had the booking for the first one but they then needed to show more surplus income for their stay than those with their own house

There is a Facebook group that deals with LSV process that my wife uses - something like 180 Days in France - that has crib sheets and updates from people who have used the process

Our last one took 12 days and we are currently at 6 days from our application so no worries at the moment
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
@Hells Bells, I seem to recall when I was looking into long term visas Vs residency that you had to have a health plan in place as opposed to insurance #
You only require medical insurance if you are applying for an one year visa. You can use a GHIC card for a 3-6 month visa. Passport photographs need to be less than one month old (there is a photo booth in the TLS office, if required, but there can be a queue). It is recommended that you take photocopies, along with originals, of everything that you take along to support your application - including your passport. I have not been asked for travel tickets, although the TLS website indicates that they are required. If an individuals is applying for a visa to stay in privately owned accomodation, the property owner must provide a letter confirming their consent, along with copies of the Tax Fonciere documents for the property. It can take 3-4 hours to go through the full TLS screening and biometrics' processing. Note, you can only renew a 6 month visa after 6 months, so make sure you pick the right starting date if you want a visa for successive seasons. https://expat-in-france.com/france-long-term-visa/ is a useful article.
snow conditions
Sent my application in last week. Took an hour total at TLS London.
Staff there seemed professional and efficient, although they struggled to 'explain' some of the small print
E.g the 'socioeconomic' criteria, they couldn't explain what it was, but were relieved when I gave them my letter in support of my application, basically a paragraph saying why I wanted a visa, promising not to work, and explaining that I would be moving from resort to resort during my time in France.
I also included evidence of two booked trips (travel and hotels)
Top tip: bring printed copy of appointment at TLS as security wouldn't let me in without it!
A
Re passport photos, the ' new' photos need to look older than the passport ones.... Mine were very similar and they challenged me, but seemed to accept that they were taken 9 years apart.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here's my experience - applied on 8th Nov in London and I just collected the passport back this morning with the visa. Very efficient with a 7-day turnaround
ski holidays
This caught my eye on this :

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/france-relax-90-day-visa-limit-for-brits-with-holiday-home/
ski holidays
@eblunt, Lots of discussion here:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=166187
latest report
FWIW, my wife’s short stay visa application was rejected. The only difference in our supporting documents was the quantity of evidence in support of staying in France. I’d included two trips, with supporting hotel and travel info, totalling about 40 days across 6 months, my wife only 1, of two weeks duration.
ski holidays
@hamilton, presume you filled out your wife's application then, nice tactics Laughing

Can you with UK-registered cars still get insurance for the six months whilst you're away too, I know it was never an issue before the B word.

The hoops I've had to go through to change my UK to French rolling eyes
latest report
@hamilton, I'd hazard she doesn't need a visa if she's only out for 2 weeks
latest report
Received the email today from TLS that my passport is ready for collection. 6 working days after submission of documents.

I think that is a record for me.

Incidentally, anyone have recent experience of waiting time for appointments (after document completion) at the Edinburgh TLS office? I have a Highlands pall flip flopping over whether or not to apply for a 6 month visa.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, dunno about 6 months car insurance, sorry, I'm covered for 90 days with Admiral, which will be sufficient for my trip. Presumably call your insurer and sell them a kidney to fund the excess...
@holidayloverxx, she'll be out for the same period as me, approximately - we'll both be hitting our Schengen allowance of 90 days in Q1 - the intention for the french visa was to allow the days in France to be excluded from the Schengen allowance.
snow conditions
LV will give you up to 180 days cover in Europe as standard
snow conditions
hamilton wrote:
FWIW, my wife’s short stay visa application was rejected. The only difference in our supporting documents was the quantity of evidence in support of staying in France. I’d included two trips, with supporting hotel and travel info, totalling about 40 days across 6 months, my wife only 1, of two weeks duration.

Does she get a second chance? I can't imagine she'll be best pleased.
snow report
hamilton wrote:
@Weathercam,
@holidayloverxx, she'll be out for the same period as me, approximately - we'll both be hitting our Schengen allowance of 90 days in Q1 - the intention for the french visa was to allow the days in France to be excluded from the Schengen allowance.

Why did her application only set out two weeks then? Hopefully she can reapply
snow conditions
@sugarmoma666, @holidayloverxx, it was her choice not to invest the effort in getting additional evidence. It was our first time applying, and she thought what she had submitted was sufficient. In her mind (but not explicitly laid out on paper), it seemed reasonable to get the visa first, before booking trips…
We have no more time to re-apply (as first trip is in a few weeks), and whilst there is technically an ‘appeal’ option, this would be disproportionate effort.
My take on the visa process - there is a ‘real human’ looking at the supporting material (both financial, travel, and any ‘letter’), and they make a reasonable decision on ‘does this trip need a visa’. In our case, we are not staying in a single property, but will be at various places in France over the period of the Visa.
Our current trip plan is just about doable without the visa, but it means we(she!) won’t be able to go to Europe for most of the summer…
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy