Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving GVA - La Tania

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, long weekend in La Tania (Sat 28/01 - Wed 01/02) and hiring a car to get from Geneva airport.

Several years since I've done the journey and it's always been by transfer minibus in the past.

Is it any quicker to stay on the autoroute and do the extra 50km or is winding through Annecy and along the lake just as efficient? Always assumed the transfer pilotes were saving some peage dollar by coming off the toll road at the earliest opportunity.

We will be leaving the aiport mid morning and returning Weds evening for a 2140 flight. Any notorius traffic snarl ups either route at those times? I'm assuming the Sat is the bigger risk.

Ta.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Ski Tyke, personally I would take the A41 from the CHF/FRA border to Annecy, then get off and go through via the lake, once through Annecy it is generally trouble free to Albertville.

as you will know, Annecy is stunning and it is a much more pleasant journey

donkeys ago when i did transfers, i used to go via the old road from Annecy to GVA over the Le Ponts de la Caille (you can still see it from the autoroute), to be honest i am not even sure that stretch of A41 was even open then (96/97?), but i could be wrong Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I suspect that transfer drivers don't stick to the speed limit on the Annecy route, most of it is 50km/h.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go via Annacy but as it’s Saturday I would recommend you go on the North side of the lake , prettier and will be less busy . so put Talloires in the Sat NAV as a way mark . On the return you should be ok to go round the conventional way . There is no difference in time for each route motorway to Chambrey or via Annacy but the Annacy is 50km shorter and obviously less in tolls .
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Go via Annacy but as it’s Saturday I would recommend you go on the North side of the lake , prettier and will be less busy . so put Talloires in the Sat NAV as a way mark

I'd agree with that. It's a more attractive route and less busy (unless you get behind a group of amateur cyclists who've rented bikes to ride suicidally around the lake Skullie). But contrary to some comments above, although the old part of Annecy is lovely, you won't see it following the signs through on either route. To see Annecy properly really needs a separate visit, probably not a priority when transferring to or from a ski resort.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, guys.

Annecy it is then! Yes, always liked the look of it riding through in the back of the minibus and thought about summer visits that have never materialised! I seem to recall seeing a cross conutry skiing event on a park near the lake once??

Saturday, I'm prepared to sacrifice views and pay tolls to get onto the snow quicker but doesn't look like any benefit in either so may well try the northerly route as never been this way.

Weds - it'll be dark anyway!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you fancy a short detour and the sun's shining, drive down to the lake at Menthon St Bernard (down the road signposted "Port" rather than the one signposted "Plage". Very nice short walk along the bank of the lake there, and sometimes the café is open. There's a public loo, too.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you have time on the way home, stop in Annecy for a few hours. We did it on the way back from La Tania to Lyon as we had a late evening flight. Beautiful place and we had an amazing late lunch there.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy