Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What all mountain ski?

Poster: A snowHead
I am heavyweight six foot skier, pretty decent level – can go down most pistes and dabble off piste and through the rocks and trees. Currently ski with heavyweight Volkl AC30s 177 and 184 – these are super stiff skis and i like them for stability and speed.

Thinking of treating myself though to new set of something but there is a huge set of options out there.

Thinking Volkl Mantras, or Atomic Vantage 90 ti, Atomic 95 Maverick Ti.

Thoughts welcome
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AC30’s we’re some of my favourite skis….. (25 years ago). Volkl Mantras should be a nice upgrade! Although they are all mountain rather than piste carving for which the Deacon range is probably what you want if your preference is Volkl.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've just acquired Movement GO 98s as new daily drivers, a little lighter and more playful than the Blizzard Bonafides and Mantras that they will replace (which will be kept for boiler plate days). For family political reasons we are "restricted" to the available stock in Concept Pro but that's no particular hardship.

Blizzard Hustles had also been recommended but were mounted when we were out and about.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just got back from Big White. Had a pair of Head Kore 93 for a day which I did not like as they were “skiddy”. Swapped to Atomic Bent 90’s the next day and they were awesome. Smashed through crud and mini moguls, coped well on powder and handled the icy pistes for night skiing. I loved them. Truly an all mountain ski.

I prefer a much smaller length than I’m supposed to have as it’s less weight to carry and usually gives a tighter turn circle. So I’m 5 foot 9 but I skied a 157cm ski
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Agent Orange, When I bought my Bonafides they were replacing 177cm Mantras. They came in 173 and 180. I tried both. The 180s didn't give my any more performance, but were just that bit less manoeuvrable.

Length, for the sake of it, is not a virtue, as the actress said to the bishop.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As an all mountain ski, Maverick Ti would be my choice, Maybe Salamon QST as a second choice. Length for me is same as my height.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
@Agent Orange, When I bought my Bonafides they were replacing 177cm Mantras. They came in 173 and 180. I tried both. The 180s didn't give my any more performance, but were just that bit less manoeuvrable.

Length, for the sake of it, is not a virtue, as the actress said to the bishop.

IIRC You are very light (60kg)- and I say that as someone who only weighs 64kg.

This means that you (and I) can get away with reasonably short skis Off Piste....so I believe that going much longer than gives "Float", doesn't produce that much more Off Piste performance (which is also down to specific design features, like Camber, Taper, Width, Construction and Rocker). On Piste it gives extra stability, edge grip and (usually) a longer radius.

For your weight - and putting you down as an aggressive expert, wanting a Freeride ski - the very longest you "need" is 172 (maybe a little longer for a dedicated Powder ski). With a 172 not available - 173 is imv the right choice.

Sorry - just wittering on, as I'm not saying anything that you don't already know. Happy New Year. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agent Orange wrote:

I prefer a much smaller length than I’m supposed to have as it’s less weight to carry and usually gives a tighter turn circle. So I’m 5 foot 9 but I skied a 157cm ski

Totally with you on this, glad to hear someone else thinking along the same lines. A ski that will turn as fast as I can think is much more fun than one that is stable at speed.

I'm 185cm/90kg
My piste skis are Head irallys 170cm/76underfoot/14m radius.
I bought some Head Venturi 95s 5 yrs ago as offpiste skis, with a 16m radius they still carve well on piste but they don't have much front rocker & some lean back was still required to keep tips up in heavy soft snow. These might be for sale after buying some Nordica enforcer 110s @177cm/16.5 radius , somewhat shorter than what might be recommended but hopefully the bigger front rocker & extra 15mm width give more flotation & still carve nearly as well as the venturis, bbwuw in 27 days & counting
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Under influence from my older brother, who was obsessed with stability at speed, I skied on super G type skis for many years & carvers were out for some years before I tried them & never went back, I love my short radius skis that turn quickly & bumps are playthings to be enjoyed rather than avoided.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
tangowaggon wrote:
I love my short radius skis that turn quickly & bumps are playthings to be enjoyed rather than avoided.

I'm also in this camp.

My Piste skis (Atomic SL11 replaced by Speed Zone 12) are shorter than ideal...because I love SL type turn radius. But my AM Skis (Scott The Ski) are longer than ideal - but they are playful, so I can bend them and enjoy the extra stability and float that they give.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Old Fartbag, happy new year to you too snowHead

We've just acquired Movement Go 98s in 177 which despite a nominal 20m radius ski much shorter/quicker due rocker.

Those notwithstanding, I think the Bonafides are going on the car today Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Check out Black Crowes Serpo and K2 Mindbender.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:

We've just acquired Movement Go 98s in 177 which despite a nominal 20m radius ski much shorter/quicker due rocker.

Those notwithstanding, I think the Bonafides are going on the car today Shocked

Those look fun. Let us know what you think. You will have enough surface area to float 2" above the snow. Skullie You have a "Floatation Factor" (Length in cm x Width in mm divided by weight in kg) of 289 (mine is 259 on the Scotts). Anything 250 and over is plenty.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sbooker, We tried the Mindbenders in early Dec and were very underwhelmed hence the Movements.

@Old Fartbag, Generally, we like them a lot, for a very limited experience so far. Was very happy back on the Bonafides today on a generally very hard and icy surface.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:

@Old Fartbag, Was very happy back on the Bonafides today on a generally very hard and icy surface.

The right tool for the job.
latest report
@Old Fartbag, quite. Helped also that we had them serviced pre-season so they are in good shape.
latest report
Thanks for all inputs - acquired a set of atomic maverick 95s 180 in Tiso sale - only issue now is I had to cancel my ski trip because of work!!! hope fully go later in season!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy