Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lift Passes - adding Carré Neige

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, wonder if anyone could confirm this is possible…

It appears that my accommodation is offering a 15% discount off the cost of a 6 day adult lift pass. This looks cheaper than the offers available on the La Plagne website ( family / groups etc ).

I need to buy 5 adult tickets so could save €100+ by
my calculations.

BUT…

Carré Neige is not added. The receptionist have explained this would need to be added separately at a ticket office.

Questions

1. Does anyone know if this is possible in La Plagne ( or France in general )

2. If so, I guess it would need to be added BEFORE the first day of usage ie the Saturday of arrival - with Sunday being the first day of use.

Thanks in advance.

PS - the accommodation provider is P&V so others may find this a possible € saver
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’ve not done it myself but heard from others that this is possible. You said yourself the receptionist says you can add it.

I don’t see why you couldn’t add it on Sunday morning.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm. You might just find that there are long queues at the lift pass office, which would be very annoying. If you only ski on piste and have good holiday insurance, you might not need Carré Neige, though it is definitely a "nice to have". Or you could chance it and buy it at the end of Sunday's skiing. Just make surel if you buy it, that you have the receipt tightly wrapped up with your ski pass, as the pisteurs will look at your pass first to see whether you have it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Crashnburn, I think you can just buy it online? https://carreneige.com/en/nos-offres/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would describe it as essential, Carre neige (more commonly known as Assurance), is there basically to pay for the evacuation from mountain in the unfortunate event you need this (helicopter ride is expensive). I don't think you will find evac cover mentioned in any travel insurance policy, including those specifying winter sports cover. Easy and quick to obtain at ticket office (OK, subject to queues) I normally ski in France and wouldn't be on the mountain without it. You'll get a separate wee receipt with your name on.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
@Crashnburn, I think you can just buy it online? https://carreneige.com/en/nos-offres/

No, you can't, that's information only. I think they insist on it being sold by a lift ticket office so that each purchase can be attached to a specific physical lift pass*, even if the insurance is being sold separately to the pass.

*Not sure how that works for the Nordique versions
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think it’s well worth the piece of mind. Could really do without a queue on Sunday - or even Saturday!!

Buying it separately, online looks a cute option.

Nice one - thanks !
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DidierCouch, how very French. So I see and the "online only" for the yellow one actually means, when you buy your lift pass or lessons online. Yep, very French indeed.

They still haven't got over the loss of Minitel, really, have they?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Actually the link https://carreneige.com/en/ doesn’t give you a chance to purchase. Just a list of locations in resorts to visit…

Still does clearly suggest it’s able to be purchased separately.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've done this in Tignes many times with pre-purchased lift passes. Just take it to the ticket office before you first use it and get the assurance added on (it's linked to your lift pass I believe). Well worth the money if your luck goes south snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I usually get my Lift Pass through Crystal and then go to the Lift Pass office and buy it separately. I have always done it before first use.

Keep the receipt on you while skiing...I put it in a small waterproof bag.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've done this with Sunweb supplied passes which need collecting at the ticket office anyway. They just take the users details and you pay your money. I was told to be very protective of the receipt so this is photographed and distributed to all the pass users.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hamboghini wrote:
I would describe it as essential, Carre neige (more commonly known as Assurance), is there basically to pay for the evacuation from mountain in the unfortunate event you need this (helicopter ride is expensive). I don't think you will find evac cover mentioned in any travel insurance policy, including those specifying winter sports cover. Easy and quick to obtain at ticket office (OK, subject to queues) I normally ski in France and wouldn't be on the mountain without it. You'll get a separate wee receipt with your name on.

Definitely not essential. I've never found a winter sports policy that didn't cover it. For example, my current insurance is with Coverwise:

https://www.coverwise.co.uk/travel-insurance/FAQS/FrequentlyAskedQuestions.aspx?Question=Do-Coverwise-policies-cover-search-and-rescue-costs-

I see Carre Neige as doubling up on insurance, and potentially getting stuck between 2 insurers. In the past, I thought it didn't have an excess, so could avoid paying anything. Now there's an excess I can't see it are anything other than confusion. It really is paying again for something you already have it you have travel insurance with winter sports cover.

(Isn't Carre Neige there for those who wouldn't otherwise have any insurance, i.e. the French, who are unlikely to buy travel insurance to go on holiday in their own country?)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sugarmoma666 wrote:

Definitely not essential. I've never found a winter sports policy that didn't cover it. For example, my current insurance is with Coverwise:

https://www.coverwise.co.uk/travel-insurance/FAQS/FrequentlyAskedQuestions.aspx?Question=Do-Coverwise-policies-cover-search-and-rescue-costs-

I see Carre Neige as doubling up on insurance, and potentially getting stuck between 2 insurers. In the past, I thought it didn't have an excess, so could avoid paying anything. Now there's an excess I can't see it are anything other than confusion. It really is paying again for something you already have it you have travel insurance with winter sports cover.

(Isn't Carre Neige there for those who wouldn't otherwise have any insurance, i.e. the French, who are unlikely to buy travel insurance to go on holiday in their own country?)

As I understand it, Pisteurs will look paid for their services before they take you off the mountain, as they don't accept your policy at that point. This means paying up and claiming later. If you produce the Carre Neige, there are no further questions or requests for payment.

The SCGB used to have a Card that you received with their Fogg Travel Insurance, which was supposed to be accepted on the mountain...but this was stopped, when it was no longer considered proof.

I get it to prevent any hassle if the worst happens, as it ensures a trouble free evacuation off the mountain.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Old Fartbag wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:

As I understand it, Pisteurs will look paid for their services before they take you off the mountain, as they don't accept your policy at that point. This means paying up and claiming later. If you produce the Carre Neige, there are no further questions or requests for payment.

The SCGB used to have a Card that you received with their Fogg Travel Insurance, which was supposed to be accepted on the mountain...but this was stopped, when it was no longer considered proof.

I get it to prevent any hassle if the worst happens, as it ensures a trouble free evacuation off the mountain.

I carry a credit card, as I've no issue paying and claiming back. I'd much rather that than get stuck between two insurance companies (especially when one operates predominantly in French, and I speak almost no French Very Happy )

Does anyone know what happens in terms of excesses if you have Carre Neige and winter sports insurance? Do you end up paying the excess on both, or does the latter waive the excess due to you reducing the overall cost to them?
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:

This is how I have understood it. With your own insurance you will have to pay it and then claim it back where as with Carre Neige the payment is all sorted for you automatically. I have not heard any problems with claiming it back but its whether you have the means - if its a helicopter then it could be well into the hundreds - that said hopefully you wouldn't be that cash strapped if going away Skiing/snowboarding
snow report
@sugarmoma666, fair enough, stand corrected, but double cover isn't exactly rare and I wouldn't want to be debating insurance policy wording with the pisteur, would just want to get on with rescue. Valid points re credit card cover, but again it's all delay when you probably don't want it.
snow conditions
Old Fartbag wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:

As I understand it, Pisteurs will look paid for their services before they take you off the mountain, as they don't accept your policy at that point. This means paying up and claiming later. If you produce the Carre Neige, there are no further questions or requests for payment..

This!

For the relatively inexpensive addition, it’s well worth the additional peace of mind. I always added it my ski pass in France.
ski holidays
@sugarmoma666, there's no excess on a blood wagon or chopper off the hill. It only applies to refunds of lift passes etc. All paperwork for rescues is done directly by the pisteur, you don't need to speak French. The only thing they will want to see is your receipt {or photo of it} so they can get the policy number. Carre neige are charged directly for the rescue, you don't need to do anything.
latest report
Cacciatore wrote:

For the relatively inexpensive addition, it’s well worth the additional peace of mind. I always added it my ski pass in France.

For a week, I think it costs less than une Biere and une Assiette de Frites. If a Helicopter was involved, my bank account would have a conniption if I had to pay on the spot.
snow report
Between us my family and I have been rescued a few times from the mountain in France. Once I had a helicopter rescue. As I was unconscious at the time it would have been a bit difficult to pay.
Never been asked for payment up front. Last time all they wanted was an email address.
Piste rescue billed my insurance company direct as did the hospital.
Possibly a bit more admin when you claim but what's the point in paying twice for something
snow report
Timc wrote:
Between us my family and I have been rescued a few times from the mountain in France. Once I had a helicopter rescue. As I was unconscious at the time it would have been a bit difficult to pay.
Never been asked for payment up front. Last time all they wanted was an email address.
Piste rescue billed my insurance company direct as did the hospital.
Possibly a bit more admin when you claim but what's the point in paying twice for something

Same with me (except for the Chopper) - but it was a long time ago.

I was warned, by the SCGB as it happens, that times had changed and I could expect to be charged there and then. I have (fortunately) not had cause to find out in recent years....and hope it stays that way.
snow conditions
Cacciatore wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:

As I understand it, Pisteurs will look paid for their services before they take you off the mountain, as they don't accept your policy at that point. This means paying up and claiming later. If you produce the Carre Neige, there are no further questions or requests for payment..

This!

I paid for a carte neige for my trip later this week as it's a new resort to me, but I think it depends on resort regarding the bit above. From bitter experience, I know that in Les Gets, they will take you off the mountain so long as you fill in a form and sign it. I didn't have to pay a penny* whilst my wife was taken down in a blood boat. The insurance sorted it all out after the event.

*not it monetary terms, but I was blamed for the accident. Not because I caused it, my FIL caused it, but it was my fault because I arranged the holiday. Laughing

Edit: this was in 2017, so relatively recently.
ski holidays
Does anyone have experience of a rescue being delayed due to the injured party not having Carre Neige? It's a concern that is often mentioned when Carre Neige is discussed, but I'm yet to hear of anyone with first hand experience of this happening. (The only skiing injury I witnessed was in Austria, and the primary focus there was definitely the welfare of the injured party, but maybe things are different in France.)

I understand people buying Carre Neige if they're not comfortable footing the upfront bill and then claiming it back off insurance. Personally I'm ok with the upfront cost. While it's a small amount, the same could be said for a lot of things that I don't choose to buy.
snow conditions
sugarmoma666 wrote:
I understand people buying Carre Neige if they're not comfortable footing the upfront bill and then claiming it back off insurance. Personally I'm ok with the upfront cost. While it's a small amount, the same could be said for a lot of things that I don't choose to buy.
All your scenarios assume that you are just injured and conscious so you can deal with the situation. You seem to have excluded the possibility of multi-day searches due to being buried under an avalanche, fallen down a crevasse, disappeared off the edge of a path in a whiteout over a cliff etc. and, most importantly, who foots the bill and does the paperwork if you're dead?

It might be going back a while but I distinctly remember the story of the parents of two dead Brit seasonnaires getting (I think) a €45,000 bill for helicopter search and rescue after their children set off an avalanche and got buried under it. The UK insurance company refused to pay as the kids were deemed culpable so the parents were left with the bill. Had the kids had carre/carte neige, it would have been covered directly. Do you really want to leave this kind of scenario with your relatives?
snow report
Post removed.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 17-01-22 23:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@sugarmoma666, Carre neige covers all rescue scenarios as long as the area of rescue can be accessed via a lift. So off piste is fine if you got to it via a lift and with modern electronic passes it's really easy to check that you started your day that way even if you've toured off somewhere. Whether you're on your own, with a guide, unlucky or reckless is not relevant.

From memory (it really is memory - I stand to be corrected on the minutiae), the above scenario was in Tignes in 2005. The kids concerned worked for the Val d'Isere branch of the same company I was working for in Meribel. They were deemed to have been unlucky with the avalanche but it made UK national headlines when the bill went out - I'm sure you can google it and there's probably a thread on it here.

Edited for sensitivity.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 18-01-22 0:28; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
From the policy:

1. RESCUE AND EVACUATION
Rescue and research expenses
The Insurer will cover the payment, within the guarantees limits indicated in the table enclosed in this document,
of the expenses incurred due to calling in professionals in order to rescue or research for a Policyholder who is
injured, has died, or is lost, including via helicopter.
The benefit is provided in the ski area including the off-piste ski area that is accessible via ski-lifts.
The expenses invoiced by a company that is duly authorised to conduct these operations will be paid ONLY IF
THE COMPULSORY TICKET WITH CARRE NEIGE IS PRESENTED AT THE MOMENT OF THE RESCUE.
The rescue and research operations will be organised by the relevant services.

Yes, I realise it says you have to present your policy but if you're dead, your lift pass will be on your body and the carre neige is linked to the pass so it's effectively the same thing. The claim limit is €50,000.

Full policy is here: https://carreneige.com/static/documents/2021-2022/depliant-carre-neige-EN.03dffa856ca3.pdf
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Carre neige
Versus
Carte neige????
snow report
My mate got choppered off the mountain in Morzine in 2019. He had travel insurance with appropriate cover but not Carre Neige, and a credit card which could easily cover all the costs. He is a lawyer that defends insurance companies against false claims, and it took him about 7 months to recover all his costs from his insurers, so was significantly out of pocket until then. In hindsight he said he would never not take the Carre Neige again in future, for the cost of a round or two......
latest report
snowornever wrote:
Carre neige
Versus
Carte neige????

Carte Neige is the season long product and has different levels of cover available to include racing if you want it. It's usually available via the ESF, Club des Sports or Tourist office. It used to be (I think) the only way of getting season cover but there is now a Carre Neige Saison for "normal" skiers which is cheaper than the Carte Neige and is available from the ticket office for just €42.
ski holidays
In Switzerland the assurance is CHF 5 a day and having ben through a heli-evac I'd say it's definitely worth the modest extra even if your travel insurance does eventually cover it. An accident is worrying and stressful and it dispenses with one Q&A on the spot about whether you have it or not. It then dispenses with settling a bill from the helicopter company for the £100/minute flight time, a separate charge for the helicopter doctor, and a separate charge for the pisteurs managing the slope while the helicopter lands.
snow report
We sell insurance with the ski passes for €3,50 per day which covers medical and ski pass refunds.
Yesterday we had two cases where a Polish and a Slovenian had accidents and had to stop skiing. They thought the could get a refund for the remaining days of their ski pass but they hadn't taken out insurance through the ski pass office.
snow conditions
@Crashnburn, resurrecting your old thread, were you able to add/buy Carre Neige at the pass office in La Plagne?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy