Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski hire issue

Poster: A snowHead
I’ve hired skis in Bourg Saint Maurice and chose the ‘black’ expert option as the ‘red’ skis they had weren’t what I wanted.

Looking at the skis they gave me they were Head ‘Easy Joy’ and the word easy made me suspicious but I just wanted to get skiing and the funicular to Les Arcs was broken so I was more worried about getting up the mountain. The skis were okay but did feel as though I couldn’t really carve that easily or get the stability I wanted.

A quick Google when I got back to the hotel confirmed that they had given me beginner skis for an expert price.

I do wonder if being a 5’1 woman means with very small ski boots means there weren’t as many options but even so I hate being ripped off and treated like a fool. Trouble is I also hate conflict and confrontation as well. As a minimum I’m going to ask for different skis but I’m also considering asking if I can get a discount for yesterday as they not gave me beginner level skis.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Raven, it doesn't need to be conflict or confrontation. Just tell them the issue...they made a mistake.... and ask for a refund on the difference between the prices
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Raven, it doesn't need to be conflict or confrontation. Just tell them the issue...they made a mistake.... and ask for a refund on the difference between the prices

Thanks. I can do it and I’m sure it will be fine Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Raven, I ended up buying my own skis after issues like you've had. I'm 5'4 with small feet. The last couple of times I hired skis, the shops didn't have any suitable skis where the bindings would adjust small enough. Really frustrating.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Raven, it does seem a "normal" experience in ski hire general, that size absolutely takes preference on their initial approach, that's regarding ski length/boot length etc. I've often found this when facilitating mixed group kitting out.

I'm nothing like your stats, but will shamelessly butter them up, smooth them around and anything else in the way of complimentary words to get what I want, get in the racks to have a look at the choices, and generally talk about what they've got available, it'll usually get the more interesting stuff into play Very Happy always ends up coming out with everyone smiling and gives them job satisfaction too Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I do have my own skis but as a small woman it’s a bit of a slog to transport them when you’re doing a multi location European trip from Australia.

It also seems to change according to country. Austria seems to always have excellent, quality skis and great facilities like free overnight storage (or maybe I just hit lucky with the place I hired from in St Anton) while France is very big and miss.

Anyway, I have a different pair of skis now. When I told the hire shop they were beginner skis they said ‘no, no they are for a good skier’. I was insistent and the next pair they gave me weighed a tonne so I asked to yet another pair which I accepted. I’ll see how they go today!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you did not hire directly with the shop & instead through somewhere like snowbrain or alpineresort then the shop are giving you equivalent to price.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gored wrote:
If you did not hire directly with the shop & instead through somewhere like snowbrain or alpineresort then the shop are giving you equivalent to price.

How does that matter? If you are sold skis for “Experts” then thats what you should get, the price offered and accepted is neither here nor there.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This really grinds my gears and happens all the time with my 2 younger teenagers (advanced and near-expert); so I invariably have to go with them to the shop and make a fuss. The problem is that the boys aren't as obsessed as me about kit (despite being technically better at actual skiing) and just want to spend as little time in the shop as possible, but then complain when the skis don't perform as expected. rolling eyes Obvs being limited to school holidays means that the shops are (a) rammed, (b) with once-a-year types, but I've seen at least as shameless behaviour from shops as the OP on the regular.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
FWIW I was just booking some skis for my daughter, black/gold ladies are described as HEAD Easy Joy or equivalent model.

There seem to be many models in the range, some are for expert skiers. https://www.head.com/en_GB/sports/ski/joy

but the Easy Joy does seem a beginners ski, however I wonder if it's down to your lightweight?

https://www.head.com/en/easy-joy-315651-set.html
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Raven, The shops I know/use (for friends) in France have free overnight storage and let you just choose the skis you want.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sugarmoma666, I’ve had the same issues with bindings. At one shop the only adult skis with suitable bindings in the ‘normal’ price range were well and truly ready for the bin. They had suitable skis in their ‘performance’ model but they expected me to pay the extra. I managed to successfully argue with the manager that they should rent the performance skis to me for the normal hire price as they couldn’t provide me with the advertised item for the price. That was in an English speaking country though so no language issues to contend with.

Maybe it was cheeky of me to google the ski model. I’m hardly a ski expert. The Head website does say fairly clearly it’s a beginner ski though. It wasn’t as though I was expecting a premium ski gif a beginner price.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think the issue is that a lot of hire places confuse 'expert' with top of the range/newest.

When you are hiring gear from a shop the more you pay the newer/nicer the gear, not necisssarily gear that is more agressive or suitable for expert skiers.

The beginner skis they gave you may have been brand new and so went in the top price bracket, which they label 'expert'.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have had a very mixed experience with ski hire. sometimes they would tell that black/gold are 'newer' skis, and the cheaper categories would mean old and worn skis. Which of course is not what the idea should be.

I ended up just playing their game in booking the cheapest category and then just nicely asking for something better - but more often than not they would just give whatever they had without looking at what I booked.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
turboblackbeard wrote:
I think the issue is that a lot of hire places confuse 'expert' with top of the range/newest.

When you are hiring gear from a shop the more you pay the newer/nicer the gear, not necisssarily gear that is more agressive or suitable for expert skiers.

The beginner skis they gave you may have been brand new and so went in the top price bracket, which they label 'expert'.

sorry didn't read your post before posting almost identical observation
ski holidays
It depends on the shop what you will get so pay close attention to their pricing structure.

Also, using a discount portal like Skiset, Skimium or Simply to Ski is usually a disaster. If you think you are getting a bargain you usually aren't!

I always book direct with shops and make it clear what I want before arrival.
ski holidays
alexsas wrote:
I have had a very mixed experience with ski hire. sometimes they would tell that black/gold are 'newer' skis, and the cheaper categories would mean old and worn skis. Which of course is not what the idea should be.

I ended up just playing their game in booking the cheapest category and then just nicely asking for something better - but more often than not they would just give whatever they had without looking at what I booked.

That may have been the case here. The more beginner skis certainly looked lovely but just didn’t suit my skiing at all.

I do also wonder if most ski hire places employing men that they might not have much of an idea about women’s skis. Especially for shorter women.

Next stop is Zermatt so I might try explaining what skis I own (Salomon all mountain, intermediate to advanced) and see if that works. Not that expect identical skis but it should narrow it down.
ski holidays
So more success with hiring now I’m in Zermatt. Think part of the problem is I need to talk myself up more. If I just say casually ‘I’m an intermediate’ they probably think I’m actually a beginner and advanced means intermediate.

Hired Head Joy skis again but these are Absolut Joy skis which are a more intermediate ski.

My other issue was the ski hire workers trying to insist I won’t cope with a ski over 150cm. I’m 155cm tall (5’1) and the skis I own are 153cm. I asked for the 153cm hire skis and the length is perfect for me.
snow report
Raven wrote:

Hired Head Joy skis again but these are Absolut Joy skis which are a more intermediate ski.

Deep Joy are their powder ski
snow report
Ive had a few issues in the past with not getting what i've paid for. ( nearly Always book via Alpineresorts )
So now I just order the cheapest ski they have and upgrade in the shop if they have them or quite often you get a free upgrade as the out of the stock of the cheapest ski's .
ski holidays
@wasley, even better, pre-book fuck all and just go into a privately owned shop and negotiate for cash

most people seem to timid to do this but you get best skis at the best price
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy