Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Ischgl on Sunday Night while snowing?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I plan to drive to Ischgl from Zurich airport on Sunday night (8th) . I plan to get a car with winter Tyres. I see that moderate/significant snowfall is expected on Sunday night (which I guess is the reason for the trip Smile )

I have checked the road on google maps and it seems to be the road that passes through the villages without any areas next to cliffs.

From past trips to similar areas I expect that roads will be cleaned even during snowfall and I won't have an issue driving on Sunday night. Am I wrong?

Thanks Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowfall is never very predictable in how quickly it accumulates and wind can have an effect but I have driven the road up to Ischgl several times in ordinary snow without problem.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes I've driven up from INN a few times in snowy conditions on winters and it's been fine - it's not a road with very steep gradients or precipitous hairpin bends.

But as T-bar says, these things are hard to predict and you'd be wise to have chains and know how to use them, especially if you're driving at night
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Your main issue is not the Paznauntal (Ischgl-valley), but the road through Vorarlberg up to the Arlberg Tunnel.
One of the snowiest corners of The Alps. Might definitely get spooky! The S16 can be very unpleasant in heavy snow. And definitely with this forecast, snow is coming from west.
@red 27 The road from Innsbruck is a completely different story, Arlberg is the big snow-stopper

Some images from the S16 in January 2021, with daylight (...): https://vorarlberg.orf.at/stories/3084867/

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 6-01-23 18:34; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Provided your satnav takes you via the S16 and up the valley, through See and Kappl you will probably be fine though might want to grab some snow chains too (I've had a transfer bus have to chain-up leaving Ischgl in the past - but just once).

If your satnav decides it's quicker to come off where the A14 becomes the S16 and over the top, so you come down past Galtur to Ischgl though... Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you very much for the immediate replies. You helped a ton! Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scary pictures. ALL roads can become bad if snow is heavy, especially if traffic is heavy too - it's always wise to have essential supplies in the car, in case you have to cope with being stuck for hours. Water, chocolate, plenty of fuel (and keep the exhaust clear Skullie ). Winter tyres - and chains - are no help if the whole road is blocked. And if traffic is moving, don't overtake snowploughs. Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Langerzug, Oh yes my bad I had missed that the OP is coming from ZCH. I've never driven that route
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mjit wrote:

If your satnav decides it's quicker to come off where the A14 becomes the S16 and over the top, so you come down past Galtur to Ischgl though... Smile

I wouldn't want to go that way on a snowy day. Proper mountain pass, that. Very Happy

Based on forecasts though snow shouldn't be too heavy, so the S16 should be fine.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@polpolpol, Dont take any notice of the scare stories here the chances of needing chains is tiny. Most of the way is on motorway or similar roads which will be cleared if there is any significant snow. The road up the Paznauntal is pretty flat though there are some tunnels and bends on the initial stretch. The road does sometimes get closed due to avalanche risk but the amount of snow forecast for this weekend does not suggest that is likely. The Swiss and the Austrians are very efficient at keeping the roads open so it is very unlikely you will face issues. The only thing I would say is dont be tempted to save money by using the Arlberg pass rather than the tunnel, though the pass rarely gets closed it can get pretty snowy and chains are occasionally required for the stretch above Stuben
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

The Swiss and the Austrians are very efficient at keeping the roads open

Unlike the stupid Italians and French. Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Was in Ischgl a few years ago when it was temporarily cut off, but that was a shed load of snow. There’s not a huge amount forecast - pretty sure the road will be open and pretty sure winter tyres will be fine (compulsory of course in Austria in January). I’ve driven out of Ischgl in the snow with snow on the road, no problem.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pretty much what @munich_irish says. It doesn’t look that snowy on Sunday. With winter tires you should be fine on that road (none of it is that steep) especially if you take the tunnel.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The topography in Austria is different, in general (there are exceptions) the gradient is more gentle as opposed to the steep climbs with tight bends you find more often in France and Italy. In general. Certainly nothing like the giggles you can have in New Zealand.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@munich_irish, It looks indeed fine for Sunday. But apart from that I'm very much wondering why you are denying the facts shown in the ORF-article in my link. Do you ever drive the Vorarlberg-side of the S16? (and I don't mean the Arlbergpass, but the main road through the Klostertal from Bludenz up, also figuring in that ORF article)
Vorarlberg might get 30-50 cm on Monday. Recipe for a similar carnage as shown in that link.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 7-01-23 14:29; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
@Langerzug, good thing the OP is not driving on Monday.
latest report
I plan to drive Sunday night - leave Zurich airport around 22:30 so arrive well after midnight. I see Heave snow on Snowforecast.

After reading the last few posts I think i ll be fine (and if not I ll stop in a village on the side?). Does the fact that i ll be driving after midnight change anything?
snow report
Note. I will be taking the tunnel/safest/fastest road if I don't get lost Smile
snow conditions
@polpolpol, Good Luck!

Make sure to come back on here and let us know you arrived safely snowHead
latest report
@polpolpol, Heavier snow is only forecast for the later hours of Monday-morning. You should be fine I think.
latest report
@Langerzug, I have indeed driven from St Anton to Zürich on a number of occasions and am familiar with the road leading to the Klostertal and the fact that the Arlberg and surrounding area is just about the snowiest in the alps. In the 20 odd years I have been living in Munich I have travelled all over the eastern alps by car & train in all sorts of weathers from blizzards to heat waves, I have never owned nor needed to use snow chains. I know there can be very occasional extreme snow events (there was one a good few years ago when there was a "stau storm" which dropped over a metre of snow on the autobahn between Rosenheim & Salzburg stranding dozens of motorists) but they are rare and not something that need concern visitors, almost all of the time all main roads are perfectly drivable for cars equipped with winter tyres. I have had to turn back on the Fern Pass after coaches got stuck at the top stopping the snow ploughs clearing the road again that is very unusual. The most dangerous and difficult conditions are not in the winter but in summer. A sudden thunderstorm (which are very common) can instantly reduce visibility to practically zero and flood the road surface in minutes. There really is no need for visitors to be nervous about driving from an airport to their resort.
snow report
Ended up not making the trip as i couldn't find my credit card to rent a car. Will probably do it next week.

So i can't really say how the road was in the end
latest report
Quote:

i couldn't find my credit card to rent a car

Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy