Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

10 lost (edit:all found) in Avalanche in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/around-10-people-buried-austrian-avalanche-apa-2022-12-25/

Sad

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 25-12-22 20:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Apart from anything else you have to tip your hat to the 100 people involved in trying to save lives on Christmas Day...while most of us just sit, snoozing off large dinners.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Such a shame though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Below Trittkopf - 9 buried missing, 1 pulled out injured. Heli search apparently called off, bad light. Av 4. Skiing in St Anton today was fabulous on piste am above 1800m.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sobering, considering I was skiing today around the corner, in St Anton (with Markymark29).

I heard that the avy ran onto a piste but I don’t have confirmation of this.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Slope 134 - Trittkopf lift to top & runs back into town

The avalanche went off just before 3 p.m. below the Trittkopf (2,720 meters). The masses of snow also reached ski slope no. 134 (Balmen)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
horizon wrote:
I heard that the avy ran onto a piste but I don’t have confirmation of this.

Local press are reporting that the avi hit piste 134 (Balman), so I think your sources are correct. 1 woman pulled out alive so far, and taken to Innsbruck Klinik. Search will continue through the night.

https://www.tt.com/artikel/30841398/lawine-in-zuers-suche-nach-verschuetteten-wenn-noetig-die-ganze-nacht
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Devastating. You always think it’s pretty safe skiing on piste but I guess the mountains can be dangerous whatever you’re doing Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Phew... 8 rescued, 2 of which injured, according to latest local news update: https://vorarlberg.orf.at/live/63-Lawinenabgang-in-Lech-Acht-Personen-konnten-gefunden-werden/
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Worth editing the thread title?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
samr96 wrote:
Phew... 8 rescued, 2 of which injured, according to latest local news update: https://vorarlberg.orf.at/live/63-Lawinenabgang-in-Lech-Acht-Personen-konnten-gefunden-werden/

Originally there was talk of ten buried people who could be seen in a video. After the current briefing, State Security Councilor Christian Gantner (ÖVP) announces that eight of the ten buried people have been identified. Six people are uninjured, two people were injured and flown to the hospital in Innsbruck and Bludenz.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx wrote:
Worth editing the thread title?

Done. What a relief!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i wonder if all 10 were fully buried and to what depth? that's some rescue, I'd hazard a guess they didn't have beacons either only skiing on the piste
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Christmas miracle snowHead
snow report
The thing is that piste (134) is very narrow in places and there would have been little chance to escape even if you saw it coming. Praying for everyone caught up in this but praise to the bravery of the rescuers. God bless them
snow conditions
Mother hucker wrote:
i wonder if all 10 were fully buried and to what depth? that's some rescue, I'd hazard a guess they didn't have beacons either only skiing on the piste

News is confusing, even the local news, but it seems 6 weren't 'in contact' with the avi at all but that at least some group members were skiing offpiste from the start of their descent.
ski holidays
Two skiers still missing according to Austrian and Vorarlberg news outlets.
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/X91U5sy80fs&feature=emb_title

Shocked
snow report
This situation re-evaluate the whole skiing matter
snow conditions
The piste is a track traversing across the mountainside see Google maps image here . There are a couple of itineraries dropping off the side of the piste (these were officially closed) but these are below so would not be a risk. Anyone wanting to ski off piste above would be faced with a fairly stiff climb up from the lift station. The are some avi barriers above that piste so it must have been identified as a potential risk. From the media reports it has not yet been confirmed that everyone was rescued there appear to still be 2 people unaccounted for. Rescue efforts are continuing through the night and the army are on standby to join the efforts in the morning
ski holidays
That is a terrifying situation. I hope all manage to emerge from it alive!
latest report
This is why, as a piste skier, I always have RECCO reflectors on my boots and clothing. You can buy them to stick and clip-on; and many garments and helmets come with them already attached. Austria is fully covered by the RECCO system, and detection can be done from a helicopter, as well as hand-held devices on the ground. I have one on each boot, and one on my helmet.

https://recco.com/all-austria-covered/

It will be interesting to see, if RECCO helped locate any of these people. In the past few years, there have been a number of on-piste avalanches, despite the best efforts of the ski resort mountain patrols to eliminate them.

But the RECCO system is in no way a substitute for proper avalanche transceivers, and the related group training, for when you are going off-piste and back-country etc. Transceivers are a must in such situations.
snow report
@turms2, From that video it looks as if the folk caught in the slide were on the 135 ski route just below the piste. From memory this is a pretty easy ski route more interesting than the piste. There are also some pylons for the gondola a bit further down out of shot wonder if they were hit.
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
@turms2, From that video it looks as if the folk caught in the slide were on the 135 ski route just below the piste. From memory this is a pretty easy ski route more interesting than the piste. There are also some pylons for the gondola a bit further down out of shot wonder if they were hit.

Would that be the final piste, when skiing from St Christoph to Zurs by pistes?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 26-12-22 0:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Anyone know what the risk level was in the resort before this?
ski holidays
The German Alpinforum has a post from someone who lives in Lech ( I think he works for the tourist office) https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67451&p=5381831#p5381831 (look at the last post) lots of pictures from the skiing today. At the end of his post he writes about the avalanche, he says the best snow was in the Trittkopf area but it was really warm spring conditions at Christmas. He missed the slide as he had gone off towards Lech by the time it happened but is clearly rather shaken by the whole thing. He also says that most of the people seen in the video managed to ski out
ski holidays
@Mcaff, It was level 4 for all slopes @Scarlet, put up a post the other day highlighting the warning
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
munich_irish wrote:

I have no idea...skiing only once iver there
According to the Media was in the area of the 134 slope
What the exactly mean i really Dont know
Die Lawine ist nach Angaben der Polizei unterhalb vom Trittkopf im Bereich der Piste Nr. 134 (Balmen) abgegangen
latest report
@Snow&skifan, If you mean when leaving the Flexenbahn mid station then no. It is the piste that comes down from the Trittkopfbahn top station it used to be the top station of the cable car up from Zürs but now is the gondola (the piste from the Flexenbahn joins it lower down), I suppose you might take the gondola up to avoid the tedious plod from the mid station
snow report
Von zehn Personen, die auf einem Video zu sehen waren, konnten acht identifiziert werden. Nur eine Person musste ausgegraben werden, die anderen konnten sich entweder selbst retten oder sind laut Gantner nicht unter die Lawine gekommen."

From the ten Persons in the Video 8 were identified. Only one needed help the other Managed without help to come out from snow or the avi dient Catch them

So one still missing?
snow report
I have just noticed.
These people who take that Video where are they?
It seems to me they are out of the slopes and they want to ski down this area Front of them
snow report
Good news, it's now confirmed that all 10 people involved in the avalanche incident have been rescued: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64091843
ski holidays
Poogle wrote:
This is why, as a piste skier, I always have RECCO reflectors on my boots and clothing. You can buy them to stick and clip-on; and many garments and helmets come with them already attached. Austria is fully covered by the RECCO system, and detection can be done from a helicopter, as well as hand-held devices on the ground. I have one on each boot, and one on my helmet.

Our grizzled, dry humoured old mountain guide was very clear when asked about the difference between trancievers and RECCO tags - "Trancievers are for rescuing people alive, RECCO tags are just for the pisteurs to find bodies later on.".
snow conditions
Piste 134 is the only red run that exits the Trittkopf top station. up the gondola and turn right. It traverses under the Trittkopf peak on a vehicle track until it reaches a small bowl, where you drop down to your right. It eventually takes you to Zurs. From the video, the avalanche appears to run down into that bowl from above.
The video guys seem to have dropped below the traversing track to access the offpiste immediately below 134.
I was there on the 22nd, there is not a lot of snow cover so far this year - the bowl where the avalanche ran through was noticeably rocky due to (I thought) thin snow cover. Snow was so poor that I saw almost no one doing any one off piste.
I don't believe there was any significant snowfall after I left, but it did get warmer.
It is such a relief to hear everyone was saved and accounted for, but what a sobering reminder of the inherent danger in the mountains - ever present even when you are bobbing along a controlled red run in the sunshine.
snow report
Mjit wrote:
Poogle wrote:

Our grizzled, dry humoured old mountain guide was very clear when asked about the difference between trancievers and RECCO tags - "Trancievers are for rescuing people alive, RECCO tags are just for the pisteurs to find bodies later on.".

+1
snow report
It was Av 4. Apparently 6 of the 10 people missing phoned up late evening to say they were fine and not to bother about them, they were safe and had walked away unhurt. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
It was Av 4. Apparently 6 of the 10 people missing phoned up late evening to say they were fine and not to bother about them, they were safe and had walked away unhurt. rolling eyes

rolling eyes indeed. How much common sense does it take to know that if you've been involved in such an incident you make sure that the rescuers turning up at the scene are informed straightaway of your status.....
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:

rolling eyes indeed. How much common sense does it take to know that if you've been involved in such an incident you make sure that the rescuers turning up at the scene are informed straightaway of your status.....

How would they know they are the ones being searched for? If 6 people made themselves known they are safe - what if there was another group of 6 who was actually caught up in the avalanche?
Possible they saw the video footage of the 10 & was able to identify themselves.
snow report
Gored wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:

How would they know they are the ones being searched for? If 6 people made themselves known they are safe - what if there was another group of 6 who was actually caught up in the avalanche?
Possible they saw the video footage of the 10 & was able to identify themselves.

If you've just almost been caught in an avalanche you know that you've just almost been caught in an avalanche...

If you are involved in or see an avalanche ALWAYS call it in; even if you are 100% sure that no-one was caught ALWAYS call it in as a 'negative report' so search and rescue can respond appropriately. Either call 140 or use the app: https://apps.apple.com/at/app/sos-eu-alp/id400099520
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy