Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl Help Please

Poster: A snowHead
Is anyone able to help please. I am a very cautious but experienced skier and we’ve ended up in Obergurgl for Christmas.
So far, not a great experience for me. The Hohe Mut Bahn is the only (small) gentle run that I’ve found so far.
Tried run 26 over at Hochgurgl but the blues all seem to have steeper (drop off) parts. Went back over to Obergurgl via run 12a but it was the same - steep end.
I love skiing but I’m used to gentler runs and I’m with my very experienced husband, it would be nice to find more than one run. Sorry to all the skiers that would love to be here right now but it although it’s sold as a beginners paradise, I’m just see lots of steep bits, edges and ledges.
Thanks in advance for your knowledge SnowHeads.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What about a Private Lesson or two, which would have a twofold advantage: 1) Tune up your technique, thus opening up more of the mountain 2) Show you where the most suitable runs are. The Instructor's local knowledge will know where the best snow, most enjoyable (for you) and quietest runs are.

I can't help otherwise, as I have never been....but if you haven't seen it, this is the view of SCGB: https://www.skiclub.co.uk/austria/resorts/obergurgl

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 22-12-21 10:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Old Fartbag wrote:
What about a Private Lesson or two, which would have a twofold advantage: 1) Tune up your technique, thus opening up more of the mountain 2) Show you where the most suitable runs are. The Instructor's local knowledge will know where the best snow, most enjoyable (for you) and quietest runs are.

I can't help otherwise, as I have never been.

Absolutely agree with this approach. So many complimentary benefits with the removal of fear that you end up on something out of your comfort zone.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@skiseekers, sounds like you don't like cat tracks much? From memory, some of the blues on the mid-mountain above Hochgurgl should be suitable though if you descend to Hochgurgl itself there's a steeper slope where it's either black or blue cat tracks so best not to drop below the bottom of the Wurmkogl I lift.

Private lesson sounds an excellent idea.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A private lesson will always help inducing better skills, of course.
But I was exactly in your place (pun intended) and I found the blue wide runs of Solden much easier for beginners (free bus from Obergurgl, same ski pass)
Access from the Giggijoch gondola
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Get the free bus down to Hochgurgl then take HochgurglBahn 1 bubble then HochgurgleBahn 2 bubble. On run 26 keep right and go onto 27 there's less of a drop on that one. once you've got the hang of that one try 26 but this time keep left onto 23 and 24 down to the Hochgurglbah 2 bubble again. Before you know you will be ok on the steeper pitch on 26. You could then get the TopExpress cross mountain bubble back across to Obergurgl go to the Rosskarbahn mid station chair and up to the top of 6 and then follow this all the way back to Obergurgl centre.

This is the route I skied with my missus before she got more confident with the reds.

Other runs on the Hochgurgl side without steep pitches are 43,41 and 38. 36 is ok too there's just a short narrower section which can be tricky if busy.

BTW the red 12 on the Obergurgl side to the TopExpress lift can be a bit icy in the mornings so until you're confident on 4a I'd give it a swerve.

The instructors in Obergurgl are excellent and 1 lesson now will improve the rest of your week.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ol_smokey wrote:
Get the free bus down to Hochgurgl then take HochgurglBahn 1 bubble then HochgurgleBahn 2 bubble. On run 26 keep right and go onto 27 there's less of a drop on that one. once you've got the hang of that one try 26 but this time keep left onto 23 and 24 down to the Hochgurglbah 2 bubble again. Before you know you will be ok on the steeper pitch on 26. You could then get the TopExpress cross mountain bubble back across to Obergurgl go to the Rosskarbahn mid station chair and up to the top of 6 and then follow this all the way back to Obergurgl centre.

This is the route I skied with my missus before she got more confident with the reds.

Other runs on the Hochgurgl side without steep pitches are 43,41 and 38. 36 is ok too there's just a short narrower section which can be tricky if busy.

BTW the red 12 on the Obergurgl side to the TopExpress lift can be a bit icy in the mornings so until you're confident on 4a I'd give it a swerve.

The instructors in Obergurgl are excellent and 1 lesson now will improve the rest of your week.

Excellent answer. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 on wot @drporat wrote.
If they are still doing (a) free day(s) with your ski pass at Sölden (you can check) you could try going there on the free bus for a change. It’s not so far as all that really, and IMO would get you a more varied experience than just keeping to Obergurgl/Hochgurgl for the entire week? Although S has some equally difficult blues, it also from memory has some long boulevardy and wider blues. Also S has more tree-lined slopes and is less windswept I think. You could ask in your accommodation/resort where they recommend to suit your level for tomorrow, as it depends also on conditions at the time? And if in doubt at the end of your day, I suggest you check your confidence, and make a personal decision whether to download in gondola and ignore any feeling of shame or attempts to shame you. Keep safe and avoid the (sometimes drunk) idiots is my advice.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Solden and Obergurgl/Hochgurgl is same pass nowadays, not limited to 1 day any more
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you all for your help. Off to S tomorrow & maybe a lesson too. Much appreciated. I’m such a lightweight skier but I really do love it!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hopefully you will love Solden. As mentioned above loads of lovely wide cruising blues inc on the glacier too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skiseekers, Yes go down to Solden, your not a lightweight skier, because you are skiing and getting out their on the slopes. Run 13 above Giggijoch, Run 38/39 above Teifenbach. Gentle wide blues lots of space.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Obergurgl was the first place I went skiing - beginner ski school from Day 1. I've been twice more into ski school there and never had a bad lesson - the instructors are top-notch.

When I subsequently went solo in later years I could follow the lines of the slopes I'd learned as a beginner, including at Hochgurgl - this, apart from the tuition which is always going to be a good thing, would be a reason to book a lesson or join a group for a day.

Not sure what it's like in Dec but in Jan I found Ober to be way colder and icier (far more in the shade) than Hoch - to the extent that I bussed across to Ober one day and then came straight back to Hoch. (We were camping in Soelden at the time).

Initially, as a nervous intermediate, I didn't enjoy Soelden at all - the blue runs at the Giggijoch were mega busy and full of out-of-control idiots (unlikely to be an issue this year). If it's quiet they probably will suit you now. 15 is probably "flatter" than 13, but if you do want to ski 13 you can avoid the steeper section (which actually on the piste map I'm looking at now becomes 12 red, I never knew that, it all looks to be the same when I've skied it) at the end by heading over to the right and using the part near the button lift.

Heading to glacier does involve some tricky bits - 23 on the way there can be quiet bumpy - totally doable slow and steady, and again, lack of traffic may have improved it.
On the way back, I never look forward to 33/34 which can be icy at the top - I tend to side slip the first 50m or so rather than trying to get an edge in.
Don't let any of that put you off, especially as much of it is weather and traffic dependent - I'm sure you'll be fine, hope you enjoy it all Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skiseekers wrote:
Is anyone able to help please. I am a very cautious but experienced skier and we’ve ended up in Obergurgl for Christmas.
So far, not a great experience for me. The Hohe Mut Bahn is the only (small) gentle run that I’ve found so far.
Tried run 26 over at Hochgurgl but the blues all seem to have steeper (drop off) parts. Went back over to Obergurgl via run 12a but it was the same - steep end.
I love skiing but I’m used to gentler runs and I’m with my very experienced husband, it would be nice to find more than one run. Sorry to all the skiers that would love to be here right now but it although it’s sold as a beginners paradise, I’m just see lots of steep bits, edges and ledges.

Try blue 15, and follow it all the way down to the Steinmanbahn lift and you can go left or right at the top of the lift and end up back at the lift with nothing too taxing…good way to build your confidence. If you follow blue 6 off 15 heading back into Obergurgl there’s a drag lift right by the Hotel Hochfirst and you can play around on a kinder slope for an hour or two to build up confidence as well. Been to Obergurgl many times and it’s very accommodating for most levels of skiers…enjoy!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+1 for heading up to Soelden.

I was in Obergurgl with the family a few years ago, and those blues are very narrow in parts and can be chaos for beginners.

If we’d started in Soelden it may have been easier (though the weather was a bit bleak when we were there which didn’t help).

LS
snow report
@skiseekers, although your post is more than one year old, I am in the same situation right now, so I would like to know if you found a solution.
Was the 26-27 run in Hochgurgl suitable for you, or was Sölden the better solution? Which run then?

Thank you for sharing your experience!
snow conditions
@Angsthase I very nearly gave up skiing that week but ended up having a lesson which did improve my confidence. There are some gentler blues - a couple in Solden off the Giggijoch 8 man chair but I had to get my confidence on the Hohe Mut Bahn (get off halfway)in Obergurgl first.
Honestly, I’m not hurrying back.
We have since been to Corvara in the Dolomites and the blues are reliable, wide, well groomed - it’s a happy place. Eh oh!
snow report
@skiseekers Thank you for your very quick response. We are going to try out the Hohe Mut Bahn tomorrow. I also managed the 26 and the 32 runs, but was not so happy with them, especially the latter one!

We will have a look at Corvara, too.

Thanks again.
ski holidays
skiseekers wrote:
@Angsthase I very nearly gave up skiing that week but ended up having a lesson which did improve my confidence. There are some gentler blues - a couple in Solden off the Giggijoch 8 man chair but I had to get my confidence on the Hohe Mut Bahn (get off halfway)in Obergurgl first.
Honestly, I’m not hurrying back.
We have since been to Corvara in the Dolomites and the blues are reliable, wide, well groomed - it’s a happy place. Eh oh!

Come back again but stay in Hochgurgl. Well groomed wide blues without pitches to one side and always far less busy. Just 6 hotels, a couple of ski rental shops and a bar, but it’s worth it.

It was the ‘breakthrough’ trip for me in 1999 where a fantastic young instructor in classes took me from me being an okay intermediate skier to carving on reds and gentler blacks. We’ve stayed in Obergurgl since, it’s much busier, pistes get churned up quickly, with poorer light down in the valley. We went back to Hochgurgl last April and loved it.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 2-01-23 23:02; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
@Angsthase, the solution is to have a private lesson Very Happy I told my instructor “I don’t want to be scared”, and (over 4 days)it worked. it will widen not only Gurgl but any resort in future..

Anyway, hope you find what you are looking for, at least you’re out there and hope the snow stays good for you.
latest report
skiseekers wrote:

Blue 6 from the top of the Rosskarbahn Gondola. Take blue 10 to loop back to the mid station on the gondola. You can go off to the left just before blue 6 turns in to a black 11( don’t know why it’s black, it’s barely red), on to
Blue 10 that goes left then right very gently and is almost always empty. Download on gondola from mid station to avoid tricky bit on blue 6 late in the day.

In Hochgurgl from Wurmkogl 1 chair on blue 26 you can avoid the steep bit I think you mean by going right on blue 27 just before steep bit. this is then very flat going right then left back to the bottom of the chair.

Those two routes are as flat as anything you can get anywhere… almost as flat as the run under Hohe Mut gondola.
ski holidays
Seen Solden recommended. Yes, the blue bowl above GIggijoch would be ideal. It’s so wide and there are so many routes down. Just a touch steeper above the bottom of the chairs so plot your route there, but plenty of width.
snow report
Quote:
Blue 6 from the top of the Rosskarbahn Gondola. Take blue 10 to loop back to the mid station on the gondola. You can go off to the left just before blue 6 turns in to a black 11( don’t know why it’s black, it’s barely red), on to
Blue 10 that goes left then right very gently and is almost always empty. Download on gondola from mid station to avoid tricky bit on blue 6 late in the day.

In Hochgurgl from Wurmkogl 1 chair on blue 26 you can avoid the steep bit I think you mean by going right on blue 27 just before steep bit. this is then very flat going right then left back to the bottom of the chair.

Those two routes are as flat as anything you can get anywhere… almost as flat as the run under Hohe Mut gondola.

Thank you very much for these hints! I was already thinking about trying out blue 27 to avoid the steep and narrow bit on blue 26 (yes we are talking about the same part), but wasn't sure if that is a good idea. It would be ideal because we are staying right next to the bottom of the Hochgurgl Bahn. So there would be no need to go to Sölden.

Taking lessons is of course always a good idea.
ski holidays
Your only problem with Blue 27 is that you'll need a bit of speed to avoid having to pole up a bit (it goes uphill a little).

It joins the bottom of red 10 (?), but it's definitely blue then and wide and much quieter than Blue 26

There are nice runs to the left off blue 26 that loop round (32 then 24) - very quiet - but you have to go down the steep bit. These runs will lead you back to mid station on the gondola or bottom of the 6 seater Grosskarbahn. Not the easiest lift to get to if you don't like steep as the last bit is.

Solden is worth it for the bowl above Giggijoch. I've never seen such a wide area

As for Obergurgl, run 10 that I suggested is showing closed... you can turn on to 10 part way down lue 6 after it's turned off to the left.
snow conditions
+1 to get a private lesson. It doesn't matter how long you have skied for sometime we just need that bit of help. In April I joined my sisters family and parents in Mayrhofen 5 weeks post op. Part way down a reasonably steep and icey Red run, I suddenly lost my confidence, my brain suddenly saying you cant do this, you are going to fall and further wreck your knee, its too soon after the op. I was shaking when I got to the bottom (apparently looking fine to the others despite how I felt, I had to stop for coffee and something sweet). When we went to pick kids up from lesson, I spoke to guy about booking a private lesson. He could fit me in over the lunch break between group lessons next day. Helped no end and that is after skiing for 34 years!
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
+1 to get a private lesson. It doesn't matter how long you have skied for sometime we just need that bit of help. In April I joined my sisters family and parents in Mayrhofen 5 weeks post op. Part way down a reasonably steep and icey Red run, I suddenly lost my confidence, my brain suddenly saying you cant do this, you are going to fall and further wreck your knee, its too soon after the op. I was shaking when I got to the bottom (apparently looking fine to the others despite how I felt, I had to stop for coffee and something sweet). When we went to pick kids up from lesson, I spoke to guy about booking a private lesson. He could fit me in over the lunch break between group lessons next day. Helped no end and that is after skiing for 34 years!

I do a private lesson of a couple of hours every year now. Made the mistake of booking a 4 hour one once in Obergurgl as thought it was better value per hour - I was shattered...

Been skiing twice a year for the last 10 years through my 50s (after taking up skiing again post divorce...)

Two hours is plenty!
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

I do a private lesson of a couple of hours every year now. Made the mistake of booking a 4 hour one once in Obergurgl as thought it was better value per hour - I was shattered...

Been skiing twice a year for the last 10 years through my 50s (after taking up skiing again post divorce...)

Two hours is plenty!

+1

Not too proud to have a technique review at the beginning of each trip. It definitely helps the rest of the holiday.
ski holidays
buchanan101 wrote:
Seen Solden recommended. Yes, the blue bowl above GIggijoch would be ideal. It’s so wide and there are so many routes down. Just a touch steeper above the bottom of the chairs so plot your route there, but plenty of width.

It may be wide but it’s hellabusy this week.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy