Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1950s short film about skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I just found this short film about skiing made in the 1950s by Luis Trenker (a film director who made many mountain films and came from the Val Gardena valley). The film commentary is in German and begins with a mention of some of the early ski pioneers such as Mathias Zdarsky who skied with a single pole or alpenstock, then it switches to contrast with the modern ski scene (in the 1950s!) with drag lifts, chairlifts and cable cars. Some nice scenes of people having fun in the snow. The sharp eyed amongst you who have come back from the Sella Ronda may notice scenes shot at the Marmolada and Monte Pana Madeye-Smiley

http://youtube.com/v/hvZqQ69YN7s
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And some shots of Cervinia at about 2 mins in
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thoroughly enjoyable. I was particularly loving the early apres at around 7:30 or so, turntables dancing and shots too........
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I might be wrong but I think they might have also used the Rifugio Marmolada in Canazei at 2.22?

https://www.rifugiomarmolada.it/index_en.php
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Doh - just noticed the comments about the Marmolada in the OP's comments! rolling eyes Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @Alastair Pink, interesting historic document with some impressive photography.

It was interesting to see the way they operated chair lifts in those days, the throughput must have been a lot less than T-bars. And there were a few queues to worry about even then.

What was the story with the single pole, did that precede two poles or was it a technique for particular terrain? A slight personal curiosity, somewhere I have my Great Uncle Fritz's Swiss Army knife - he was called up in the First World War specifically to join the ski commandos so he must have been pretty good. (And he was called up again in the Second War since by then he was a professional geologist and they wanted that expertise in planning defensive emplacements).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Who needs edges when you have powder and an "Alpenstock"
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Alastair Pink, remarkable with some great camera work.

About 2.5 mins in the first skier following the instructor has something wrapped in a blanket to carry under her arm. Baby? Doll? Lunch? snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@PeakyB, I think it's a doll. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
j b wrote:
Thanks @Alastair Pink, interesting historic document with some impressive photography.

What was the story with the single pole, did that precede two poles or was it a technique for particular terrain?

The single pole (Alpenstock) was used by the Austrian ski pioneer Mathias Zdardsky . A few years later another Austrian ski pioneer Col. Georg Bilgeri advocated the use of two poles. This upset Zdarsky (and Bilgeri had designed a binding which Zdardsky claimed was a copy of his which further soured relations between the two). This almost resulted in a duel between them! Shocked ( which fortunately never took place).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The alpenstock was used before skis were used on the Alpine mountains. The Alpenstock started as a long metal tipped walking stick used by people climbing or traversing the high passes. It was sometimes used in a sliding decent where you would slide on your feet with the stock between your legs like a wiches broom dragging behind you to arrest the slide.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
See the resort traffic hasn't changed much. snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks @Alastair Pink, sounds as if my relative would most likely have used a single-pole technique at that time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy