Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chambery Airport to Val Thorens transfer options - solo traveller

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, a bit of a train of thought but wondering if anyone has advice/suggestions. So I booked a trip to Val Thorens 7th to 14th January 2023 flying to Chambery (flight arrives 7th 12:30, departs 14th 18:40). Usually I fly to Geneva but on this occasion the flights to Chambery were much cheaper and I do hate Geneva airport with a passion so I thought I would give Chambery a go especially with it being a shorter distance to the resort.

The thing is it has probably been 15 years or so since I last flew to Chambery on a package holiday where you don't have to think about anything and I forgot that Chambery is a tiny shed with more parachutists than planes (and probably even quieter now after the lockdown years).

My original plan was to use the direct Altibus coach transfer to VT as up until last week or so the Altibus website said that 'the line to Chambery would resume in January 2023' and had a timetable listed. However the Altibus website has now changed the message to 'the line to Chambery will not resume for the 22-23 season' so that has scuppered that plan.

I looked at getting the train from Chambery Challes-les-Eaux to Moutiers and then getting the bus to VT from Moutiers (which is also run by Altibus). On paper it seems like a sensible and affordable option. However the issues seem to be:

1. Getting to Chambery train station. As far as I can tell there is no public bus service from the airport to the station (some mixed messages about a shuttle bus service being available but I am not sure if I trust them). Taxi to the train station seems likely to be the only option. However that also looks like it is potentially unreliable with no taxis likely to be waiting at the airport because it is so small and needing to be pre-booked (same issue with coming back from the train station).

2. Making sure I do not miss the last bus from Moutiers up the hill to VT. The last scheduled bus is quite early at 18:20 so the last train I could get from Chambery train station would be 16:50 (even that would be tight, ideally I would need to get a train an hour or more earlier to be safe). I know how things can go wrong in the mountains (fog/snow/traffic/flight delays etc) so I could still find myself stuck in Moutiers looking at an expensive taxi transfer for one.

Travelling solo is a pain as private transfers are exorbitantly expensive for one person as is hiring a car just for one person. The safest thing to do would probably be to minimise connections and get a direct transfer from the airport to reduce chances for things to go wrong. I would happily share transfers but there does not seem to be many companies that help to coordinate shared transfers apart from at the last minute. Are there any transfer companies that you would recommend looking at or places where I can try to arrange a shared transfer? I guess I am better off waiting until a bit closer until the time but I just like to have things organised in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a 15:31 from Chambery to Moutiers, assuming an hour to get out of the airport (generous), that gives you 2 hours to get from Chambery airport to the train station, and unless your flight is horribly delayed that should not be an issue at all, the drive is 15 minutes, so you'll have plenty of time and even if there are no busses, a taxi for a 10km drive won't be more than €15 or so. The train arrives at 16:45, meaning you'll have a bit of a wait for the bus but you'll still be on it (annoyingly there is a bus at 16:10 but you'd miss that).

Also, even if the flight was delayed and you missed this train and got the 16:50, you'd arrive at 18:12, still in time for the bus, as the bus station is just outside the train station in Moutiers. even if that train was a little late, they'll likely wait for a bit, last season I used altibus to go from GVA to Meribel, and we had someone joining in Moutiers who was 10 mins late and we waited for them, I guess it depends on the driver tho. So realistically your flight would have to be so late that you missed the 16:50 train in order for you to be stuck in Moutiers
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ManiaMuse, you shouldn’t have a problem getting a taxi. Easy to pre book.

Suggest you whether the train you’d get stops at Aix Les Bains. A slightly shorter and easier taxi journey from Chambery Airport. A quieter station, bit easier to negotiate with heavy bags.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
zaphod424 wrote:
There's a 15:31 from Chambery to Moutiers, assuming an hour to get out of the airport (generous), that gives you 2 hours to get from Chambery airport to the train station, and unless your flight is horribly delayed that should not be an issue at all, the drive is 15 minutes, so you'll have plenty of time and even if there are no busses, a taxi for a 10km drive won't be more than €15 or so. The train arrives at 16:45, meaning you'll have a bit of a wait for the bus but you'll still be on it (annoyingly there is a bus at 16:10 but you'd miss that).

Also, even if the flight was delayed and you missed this train and got the 16:50, you'd arrive at 18:12, still in time for the bus, as the bus station is just outside the train station in Moutiers. even if that train was a little late, they'll likely wait for a bit, last season I used altibus to go from GVA to Meribel, and we had someone joining in Moutiers who was 10 mins late and we waited for them, I guess it depends on the driver tho. So realistically your flight would have to be so late that you missed the 16:50 train in order for you to be stuck in Moutiers

Thanks. I think I am psyching myself out reading horror stories about Chambery airport. Looking at the flight history for my flight I think I should plan for a delay of at least 1 hour and then maybe another hour or more to get out of baggage carousel hell. If the flight is on time I would have about 4 hours to play with which should be enough. It is just if things go wrong I might be stuck for a backup option.

This all assumes that the trains are running on time as well which could be another story...

One good thing is that the trains go until relatively late (20:53 and then a slower bus service at 22:00). How easy is it to get a last-minute late night taxi/transfer from Moutiers to VT? I guess it would be pricey (€100-€150 or even more than that?) but would be useful to know if it is a possible option or if I am likely to to be completely stranded in Moutiers.

@PeakyB I had a look at Aix-les-Bains although loooks like there are slightly fewer trains available and most involve changing at Challes-les-Eaux anyway apart from the latest one that I could possibly catch to make the bus connection so probably not worth the risk of more connections.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Despite all the horror stories you will hear about Chambery, it's nowhere near as bad as made out. Yes the airport itself is a bit of a glorified shed and if you hit it (arrival/departure) at peak times then it can be a bit of scrum. Cancellations happen at all airports due to weather and there is an increased risk at Chambery due to it being at the end of a valley and approach/exit is over a lake so can get fog, though in my experience this is usually earlier on in the morning.

So your flight arrival is later so less likely to have a fog issue and also less likely to be stupidly busy unless there have been earlier issues and stuff is backed up.

You don't mention your return times, all the major TO's will kick everyone out by 6/7am so peak busy period in the shed will be around 9-10am.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ansta1 wrote:
Despite all the horror stories you will hear about Chambery, it's nowhere near as bad as made out. Yes the airport itself is a bit of a glorified shed and if you hit it (arrival/departure) at peak times then it can be a bit of scrum. Cancellations happen at all airports due to weather and there is an increased risk at Chambery due to it being at the end of a valley and approach/exit is over a lake so can get fog, though in my experience this is usually earlier on in the morning.

So your flight arrival is later so less likely to have a fog issue and also less likely to be stupidly busy unless there have been earlier issues and stuff is backed up.

You don't mention your return times, all the major TO's will kick everyone out by 6/7am so peak busy period in the shed will be around 9-10am.

Flight back is 18:40. Deliberately picked the later flight to give me more breathing room and less worried about the return leg as it is more in my control. But yeah I do remember many years ago being at Chambery airport at 9am returning from a package holiday and it being absolute carnage at the check in desks. All the tour operators dumped their guests off at the same time and there were only 2 check in desks for all flights and staff having to manually handle bags from the desks or something stupid like that. Think it took us about 2 hours just to check in.

I suppose you are right it is all going to be the same story everywhere on bad transfer days. Just trying to sort out my back up plans in advance
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good plan, the only fly in your ointment is (and I'm making an assumption here, is that your travel is booked 'independently' so if you flight is diverted on the way in, Geneva, Lyon, grenoble being the most likely options, then explore what you would do if that happens i.e. backup transfer/train options. On the way home is potentially easier as the airline will be responsible for getting you to any alternative departure airport.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ansta1 wrote:
Good plan, the only fly in your ointment is (and I'm making an assumption here, is that your travel is booked 'independently' so if you flight is diverted on the way in, Geneva, Lyon, grenoble being the most likely options, then explore what you would do if that happens i.e. backup transfer/train options. On the way home is potentially easier as the airline will be responsible for getting you to any alternative departure airport.

If the flight is diverted on the way in it's still the airline's responsibility to get you to the actual arrival airport, so the airline is still obliged to organise and pay for transport from whatever diversion airport to Chambery, though of course you'll be very delayed. You may be able to talk them into just paying for a taxi from the diversion airport all the way to VT, though I wouldn't count on that.

Also worth noting that if the flight is delayed by 3 or more hours (including if it was diverted and the transport from the diversion airport arrived at the scheduled airport more than 3 hours after the scheduled arrival time) you'll be entitled to compensation which will more than cover the cost of a taxi from Moutiers to VT. If the delay is caused by "extraordinary circumstances", which does include bad weather unfortunately, then the airline isn't obliged to pay this compensation. However if you're booked on a "full service" airline, like BA, they probably will be accommodating and pay for (at least part of) the taxi transfer. Doubt you'd get the same from a budget airline though. If you have good travel insurance however, that should cover you if the flight is delayed, even in extraordinary circumstances, and should reimburse you for the taxi costs, for example my Coverwise policy states:

"We will pay you up to £500 for your reasonable additional travel (including up to £200 for taxis
and hire cars) and accommodation costs (room only) which are of a similar standard to that of your
pre-booked travel and accommodation you have to pay to reach your overseas destination that you
cannot claim back from any other source if you fail to arrive at the departure point in time to board
any onward connecting public transport on which you are booked to travel as a result of:
a. The failure of other public transport.
b. Strike or industrial action or adverse weather conditions.
c. You being involuntarily denied boarding (because there are too many passengers for the seats
available) and no other suitable alternative flight could be provided within 12 hours."

Which basically covers all of these "extraordinary circumstances", so if there are no extraordinary circumstances, airline has to pay, if there are, then travel insurance will pay.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zaphod424 wrote:
ansta1 wrote:

If the flight is diverted on the way in it's still the airline's responsibility to get you to the actual arrival airport, so the airline is still obliged to organise and pay for transport from whatever diversion airport to Chambery, though of course you'll be very delayed. You may be able to talk them into just paying for a taxi from the diversion airport all the way to VT, though I wouldn't count on that.

Also worth noting that if the flight is delayed by 3 or more hours (including if it was diverted and the transport from the diversion airport arrived at the scheduled airport more than 3 hours after the scheduled arrival time) you'll be entitled to compensation which will more than cover the cost of a taxi from Moutiers to VT. If the delay is caused by "extraordinary circumstances", which does include bad weather unfortunately, then the airline isn't obliged to pay this compensation. However if you're booked on a "full service" airline, like BA, they probably will be accommodating and pay for (at least part of) the taxi transfer. Doubt you'd get the same from a budget airline though. If you have good travel insurance however, that should cover you if the flight is delayed, even in extraordinary circumstances, and should reimburse you for the taxi costs, for example my Coverwise policy states:

"We will pay you up to £500 for your reasonable additional travel (including up to £200 for taxis
and hire cars) and accommodation costs (room only) which are of a similar standard to that of your
pre-booked travel and accommodation you have to pay to reach your overseas destination that you
cannot claim back from any other source if you fail to arrive at the departure point in time to board
any onward connecting public transport on which you are booked to travel as a result of:
a. The failure of other public transport.
b. Strike or industrial action or adverse weather conditions.
c. You being involuntarily denied boarding (because there are too many passengers for the seats
available) and no other suitable alternative flight could be provided within 12 hours."

Which basically covers all of these "extraordinary circumstances", so if there are no extraordinary circumstances, airline has to pay, if there are, then travel insurance will pay.

Yeah that is a fair point. Perhaps it could be an advantage in some circumstances to be travelling independently. Though I suspect things can be quite chaotic on transfer days when a bunch of flights get diverted at the same time and all the coaches/taxis and drivers are in the wrong place or already on jobs/out of hours. Think something similar happened to a family friend who we went skiing with on a package holiday years ago. He was on a different flight to Chambery which got diverted to Lyon. Apparently it was absolute chaos at Lyon and even though it was with a tour operator it was about 5 hours before a coach turned up to take them to the resort and he arrived about 8 hours later than planned. The chalet hosts still offerred him reheated dinner when he finally got to the chalet hotel even though it was 5am by the time he arrived!

Checked my insureandgo policy which will cover me for missed departure costs up to £500 with a £60 excess which seems reasonable enough. I guess if I get diverted I just toss up how long it is likely to take to get to Chambery with whatever the airline is providing vs trying to get a taxi direct and claiming on the insurance.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've done the Chambery / train / resort trip as a solo a couple of times, 5 & 6 years ago now and to Les Coches (Aime on the train).

Taxi from the airport to the station: Didn't have a problem, they were arriving all the time (on a Saturday) and each time met someone to share the taxi with halving the cost! Just start chatting and asking. As the flights back were similar times a week later also arranged the same taxi share return too.
Taxi cost was about 30euro from memory back then..
Nice little bar opposite the station in Chambery for passing some time too. Also a good place to meet your taxi partner for the return leg.

Can't help on transfers up the hill as I was collected by the accomadation.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ciderinsport wrote:
I've done the Chambery / train / resort trip as a solo a couple of times, 5 & 6 years ago now and to Les Coches (Aime on the train).

Taxi from the airport to the station: Didn't have a problem, they were arriving all the time (on a Saturday) and each time met someone to share the taxi with halving the cost! Just start chatting and asking. As the flights back were similar times a week later also arranged the same taxi share return too.
Taxi cost was about 30euro from memory back then..
Nice little bar opposite the station in Chambery for passing some time too. Also a good place to meet your taxi partner for the return leg.

Can't help on transfers up the hill as I was collected by the accomadation.

Thanks for the info on the taxis. That is really useful to know. Were they ones you had to pre -book or could you just hail the driver?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ManiaMuse wrote:
You may be able to talk them into just paying for a taxi from the diversion airport all the way to VT, though I wouldn't count on that.

My experience is they won't.

I don't know how often Chambery gets closed. Once or twice in a winter maybe (and not necessarily on a Saturday)? The issues are fog off the lake and windshear. Geneva also suffers badly from winter fog but has better navigation systems it would seem. Last big closures were twice on Saturdays in 2020.

As you said, if it does close on a transfer day it is chaos. I remember about 20 years ago some flights diverted to Lyon but couldn't land there either so had to head to Geneva with the TO coaches racing to catch up. GVA didn't want them and they had to declare an emergency to get clearance (no fuel). Geneva's idea was they would land at Dijon International.

The airport website confirms that taxis are available - maybe not at 2am on a Tuesday.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ManiaMuse wrote:

Thanks for the info on the taxis. That is really useful to know. Were they ones you had to pre -book or could you just hail the driver?

I just stood in a short line at the taxi rank looking for another like-minded solo to share the costs - never took more than a few mins for either to arrive!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Geneva also suffers badly from winter fog but has better navigation systems it would seem

Yeah, Geneva has Cat-III ILS (instrument landing system) whereas Chambery only has Cat-I, which means that at GVA the pilot has to be able to see the runway at 15m above it to be able to land, whereas at Chambery the pilot has to be able to see the runway at 60m above it, meaning that a plane can land in much heavier fog at GVA than at CMF.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
zaphod424 wrote:
Quote:

Geneva also suffers badly from winter fog but has better navigation systems it would seem

Yeah, Geneva has Cat-III ILS (instrument landing system) whereas Chambery only has Cat-I, which means that at GVA the pilot has to be able to see the runway at 15m above it to be able to land, whereas at Chambery the pilot has to be able to see the runway at 60m above it, meaning that a plane can land in much heavier fog at GVA than at CMF.

I do remember one flight coming into Geneva over the lake and not seeing the ground until literally a couple of seconds before landing. Was pretty scary.
snow conditions
I just love the landing into chambery, never been diverted in nearly 30 years, only issue has been getting out when arriving flight didn't hit the runway, and that only happened twice since 1998
snow conditions
We flew into Chambery last year on March 11th arriving 15:20, weather was fine not surprisingly for March and cleared the airport pretty quickly - not too many other flights arriving at that time. It was quite busy outside the airport I think most were waiting for coach transfers. No taxis in rank, but many were dropping off, so we managed to grab one of those eventually, a bit stresssful as we cut it quite fine for our train, it cost 30EUR to the station and about 10 mins.

We took the OuiGo to Moutiers which doesn't appear to be running this year which is a shame as you could book a particular seat on the OuiGo. On the way back we took the 13:19 TER from Moutiers, can't book seats, we had to stand! At Chambery station, no taxis in rank, but we were able to get an Uber pretty quickly and only about 12EUR.

We're doing the same trip this year, but on Feb 4th so it's a toss up between trying for an Uber at the airport or pre-booking a taxi.
latest report
@ManiaMuse, I'm in almost exactly the same situation as you - change the dates and places and I could've written your first post! I'm trying to get from Chambery to Montchavin this Saturday, due to land at 1455, and I'm experiencing the exact same worries/issues as you - Altibus letting me down, getting to Chambery train station (or aix-les-bains), potentially getting to resort too late for the bus, lack of shared transfers this year, etc etc.

How did you get on? Cheers
latest report
@GentlemanSkier, Interesting to hear about Uber - I had assumed it was a bit of a closed-shop taxi racket at the airport, but I guess not. Do you know if it's possible to get an Uber from the airport to the train station (I can walk out of the airport to meet them if they can't actually come in), or do they only operate from the station to the airport? Thanks!
snow report
@GentlemanSkier,
How did your last trip go in terms of getting to and from Chambéry Airport to Chambéry train station please? I am hoping to use taxis but am worried that none will be available. I am travelling Saturday to Saturday in March.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy