Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How bad is the early 2023 ski season in the Alps (in the overall scheme)?

Poster: A snowHead
Obviously, things ain't great just now in the Alps, but I'm wondering how unusual these early Jan conditions actually are?
Have we had a similar situation in the last 5 or 10 years?
Thanks.
N Neige
PS please delete if other threads covering the same topic.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The locals figure on 1 bad season in 3

A lot depends on what altitude you are at.

Val Thorens doesn't really have bad seasons, although it can have delayed starts.

A ski resort in the Jura may not open at all some years.

From memory, 2015 and 2016 were not great, we then have had quite a good run although a bad start often means an early end as the base isn't there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@davidof, was it 2015 where we really didn’t have any snow North Western French alpes till after new year’s week?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are masses of threads, @Neil Neige. It doesn't really make sense to talk about how things are in "The Alps"; it's a big place, and conditions vary a great deal between east and west and even between north and south. Interesting reading around the forum. Lots of sensible comments and observations and a fair few daft ones, on the lines of "we're doomed, it's all awful, never been like this before". There are also some folk who insist on telling us how much they enjoyed hopping from one slushy lump to the next, in the pouring rain.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, down here in the Valley 22nd December 2014 it was green, though from 2,000m there was snow, though leftovers from three weeks prior

And then the infamous SnowMagedon when my daughter was trying to get from here to Tignes on the 27th

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 3-01-23 16:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think you have to separate out the long term trend (general warming, glaciers receding, more frequent and extreme weather events) with the usual year to year pot luck with the weather. We've skied a lot at the start and end of the season - TR links at top of this post - and we've had dodgy ones, meh/mid ones and great ones. And to be honest before that I've been in the core of the season and it's still pretty variable.

I must say I've not seen temps as high and as prolonged in December as this year (the avalanched mountainside's back to rock have been exceptional for the time of year in IME) but especially higher up there is still a good base and forecasts suggest before mid-Jan there could be some big weather changes. And then the conversation will move on - and it will just be another year of, well 'weather'.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That looks tricky..... good picture to show the twits who say "there's no such thing as too much snow".
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
There are also some folk who insist on telling us how much they enjoyed hopping from one slushy lump to the next, in the pouring rain.
You have to make the best of it, especially if you are on your one week a year ski trip. Good luck to those that manage to enjoy themselves irrespective of conditions. Skiing in the rain definitely beats stressing out at work wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Weathercam, must have been earlier then!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I blame the yanks...somehow they've discovered a way to nick all our snow! Laughing Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some webcams have a long archive so you can look at the same day for each year. The pano one at Les Houches goes back to November 2014 for example.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for these thoughts!
Appreciate the issue is nuanced and there will always be snow way up high (was nice to see resort-level snow in the Zermatt webcam earlier today) but, altitude aside, I think it is a bit of an Alps-wide issue at the mo hence articles like this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64151166
One of my favourite resorts (Thollon) is closed completely, but it sounds like snow is on its way.
If memory serves, Scotland had a disastrous start to the season last year with virtually no skiing almost until Feb so good to see they've managed to open a few runs already, and great that the new chairlift has finally opened at Glen Coe. Hope to pay a visit this season, probably staying at Fort W - nice chance to also ski Nevis Range and have a crack at the adjacent parkrun!
Didn't realise some Jura resorts don't open at all some seasons but guess it's understandable given the altitude.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If we are talking about current conditions compared to the same time of year in an average year, I think it is:

- very poor in the northwest and far western French Alps (e.g. Portes du Soleil)
- poor low down in the interior ranges of the French northern Alps (e.g. lower parts of the 3 Valleys, lower parts of La Plagne, Maurienne...) and western Switzerland (e.g. Gstaad, Villars, Wengen / Grindelwald), but better at altitude (e.g. Verbier, Val Thorens, Val / Tignes, Arc 2000, higher parts of Alpe d'Huez, Les 2 Alpes)
- slightly below average in most of the rest of the Alps (Austria, Italy, eastern Switzerland, far west of southern French Alps), but helped by snowmaking
- average in the interior part of southern France (e.g. Isola 2000, Auron, Pra-Loup)
- above average in a very small area around Briançon in France (basically Serre Chevalier, Puy St Vincent, Pelvoux). And maybe some other localised spots?

If we are talking about the season as a whole so far, I think it started OK and has deteriorated since Christmas, either because of rain (NW Alps) or persistently high temperatures / not much new snow (everywhere else). But although it is generally below average, it's only really poor in a relatively small area (see above).

Apart from this season, I think the most recent widely dodgy season starts were 2014/15 and 2015/16.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seen worse, seen better.

worry about the things you can influence not things you cannot influence
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think it's only hit the headlines because so many people insist on skiing at New Year, despite the crowds and the historical risk of poor snow conditions.
latest report
@Neil Neige, The BBC 6 O'clock news has just done a 20 second piece on the lack of Snow... :: Must be BAD !!
latest report
'90 was a bad one as I recall... We went to Ellmau 1st week in Jan on only our 2nd trip.

We were rolling along in the transfer coach on a lovely sunny day, admiring the lush green Alpine meadows....when the coach stops and the rep says, "Here you are, your chalet is just there..."

Not a flake of snow to be seen anywhere - the whole of the Ski Welt was bussed into Scheffau for the 3 open runs there.

Happy days
latest report
Remember it is still only 3rd Jan it’s very early in the season.
Sometimes you get big dumps in Dec and Jan then nothing for weeks through Feb and early Mar
There was a lot of snow early season last year and then it was warm for ages about end of Feb Mar if I remember correctly so you never really know what you’re going to get.
snow conditions
albob wrote:
@Neil Neige, The BBC 6 O'clock news has just done a 20 second piece on the lack of Snow... :: Must be BAD !!

Who did they blame

1. Climate change
2. The B word
3. The government
4. Covid

Must be at least any 2 of 4
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
'90 was a bad one as I recall... We went to Ellmau 1st week in Jan on only our 2nd trip.

We were rolling along in the transfer coach on a lovely sunny day, admiring the lush green Alpine meadows....when the coach stops and the rep says, "Here you are, your chalet is just there..."

Not a flake of snow to be seen anywhere - the whole of the Ski Welt was bussed into Scheffau for the 3 open runs there.

Happy days

Early March 2007 was flakeless too by the hotel and even higher up it was big soft piles of muddy slush.
ski holidays
stewart woodward wrote:
albob wrote:

Who did they blame

1. Climate change
2. The B word
3. The government
4. Covid

5. Putin
6. Suez Canal
7. Chip Shortage
latest report
It was all of those Laughing
snow report
If you're a piste skier, conditions in Val and Tignes right now are really very good. Immaculate (snowboard!) carving conditions the past couple of mornings. Sainte Foy is a little thin, but everything is open and the snow quality is decent enough. Anything lower than that is pretty desperate. Off piste is pretty bad, but snow cover up high is actually very good for the time of year (where it hasn't purged!) and it will only take a small amount of fresh snow to give good conditions.

Overall, orders of magnitude better than 2015 and 2016. Was it 2011 that was very bad too? Way better than that anyway.
snow conditions
The difference this time appears to be the large volume of rain at almost all altitudes. In the northern French Alps and SE Switzerland.

I’ve memory of many rubbish Alpine December’s going back to 1980, but they seemed to be sunny, warm and arid for weeks on end.

I think there was a run of very low snow Alpine winters, was it the late 80’s and early/mid 90’s?, where folk were very gloomy about the future of skiing in Europe.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 3-01-23 23:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I only started skiiing in the late 80's, and as a beginner we didn't want new snow as the resort typically closed. In fact we rarely lost a day to 'snow' for years.

The impression I have/had was the the conditions went from 1 bad year in 5, to 1 in 3, to every other year, to 1 great year in 3 to 1 great year in 5.

This was largely in Saas-Fee, where there is massive evidence of the change in the climate, and the melting of the glaciers, due to a combination of low snow fall and higher temperatures. I checked the village tempatures today and it was +8C, which is ridiculous for a village at 1800m, in January, without direct sunlight.
snow report
@stewart woodward, @red 27,

Nah -- just record temperatures ; 20 degrees C in Switzerland (highest recorded temperature for January in the Alps..)
snow report
@PowderAdict, I disagree and agree. Have been going to Saas Fee for the same period as you. No doubt the glacier is seriously depleted, but in terms of snowfall it has not no much reduced as moved to later in the season. We have had epic conditions for many springs in Saas Fee but disappointing in Feb.
ski holidays
I still doubt there is anything like the total snowfall they used to get, even if some is arriving later. In any case early season snowfall isn't there to add to the snowpack on the glacier. Any late season snowfall will just melt before it can be compacted onto the glacier.

In the days when alpine snowfall was recorded on teletex, Saas-Fee didn't bother reporting anything under 50cm, as snowfall was so regular. Do you remember the year when they built the giant snowman at Felskinn, and the many years snow banks were halfway up the bus windows from the start of the Saas valley snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PowderAdict wrote:

In the days when alpine snowfall was recorded on teletex,

Ah yes! The daily excitement of looking weather the numbers had moved...
latest report
All the alpine glaciers are shadows of their former selves.
snow conditions
red 27 wrote:
PowderAdict wrote:

In the days when alpine snowfall was recorded on teletex,

Ah yes! The daily excitement of looking weather the numbers had moved...

True, and it didn't matter when you looked at it, it was always on the page after the resort you were interested in, so you had to wait 5 mins for it to repeat rolling eyes
ski holidays
Quote:

it was always on the page after the resort you were interested in, so you had to wait 5 mins for it to repeat

I'd forgotten that! So true....
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

it was always on the page after the resort you were interested in, so you had to wait 5 mins for it to repeat

I'd forgotten that! So true....

Ceefax, if not Teletext, is still actually around! (well kind of).
It was resurrected fairly recently and can be found here: https://www.nathanmediaservices.co.uk/teletext-viewer/
I don't know if it contains snow reports - I haven't got enough time to sit through the stupid thing to find out!
ski holidays
The difference is the temperature. The source air is much warmer than it used to be. The recent cold spell in the UK for example, should have been much colder given the Synoptics but the artic air is just not as cold as it used to be because there is less snow cover and the oceans are warmer lifting air temps higher. Same impact on the Alps. Higher snow lines and much more rain particularly in the places exposed to the south and west. Warm air holds more moisture so heavy snow can still happen but it’s all getting more marginal. High energy costs and ultimately very high prices may be the bigger short term restriction for many. Bit bleak I’m afraid.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@davidof, was it 2015 where we really didn’t have any snow North Western French alpes till after new year’s week?

There's no arguing with the record temperatures and very heavy rain this seaon - heaviest since the 1990s in some places. This following a very long, hot summer that didn't do the glaciers any good. Many ski areas were closed Christmas 2014, so in that respect it was worse but heavy snowfall on the 27th opened stuff up, in that respect this season is marginally worse. We've probably been spoilt by a 5 year run on of reasonable to good winters.

I'm just having a quick look back at my ski touring diary

2021-22 Began a bit late at the end of November but with a meter of snow it set up the season with snow from 1000 meters. After a last blast of winter the first weekend of April a heatwave, that lasted on and off to November ended the season early. After Christmas was a bit of a washout but it snowed fairly heavily in the second week of January.

2020-21 I started in September and January was excellent, very cold, I even skied a couloir from the top of the Mont du Chat opposite Chambery airport down to the lake. Finished ski touring in the second half of May. Snow cover wasn't great below 1500 meters. Some excellent end of season touring, respecting the 10km rule of the Covid lockdown
Here is my friend Chris a bit uncomfortable on a very icy entrance.

Lots of disruption due to Covid lockdowns during 2020

2018-19: Season started in the second half of November with powder in May and big smiles

2017-18, Season got underway in the first half of November, Good end of season snow

2016-17, Skied to start of May but poor snow year despite early snow in Nov
]
2015-16, Christmas without snow. Local resorts closed, Walking at 1800 meters on Christmas day. Skied in may thanks to man made snow at les 7 Laux - they spent 100,000 euros snow making on a single piste that season and there was a meter of thickness in May!
The season started well with snow just behind the house in November

but not enough to resist a foehn and rain episode

with snow returning mid January 2016

Meteo France says that winters like the current one happen "every ten years or so" then goes on to observe "only they are getting much more frequent".

2014-15. Started in mid November but very warm and all the snow melted in early December until the famous Snowmaggedon on the 27th. Nice end of season return to winter with some steep skiing in Chamrousse

2013-14: Stormy, lots of snow, not always easy to find a weather window, below average snow cover below 1500 m.

2012-13: good season, excellent end of season snow

2011-12: good season
latest report
stewart woodward wrote:
Seen worse, seen better.

It does help to be out for the season with that philosophy. Cool
latest report
Second 2 weeks in Dec in VT were excellent this year.
snow report
Quote:

That's a sound philosophy whatever you're doing. wink
snow conditions
stewart woodward wrote:
albob wrote:

Who did they blame

1. Climate change
2. The B word
3. The government
4. Covid

5. Millennium bug.
ski holidays
@davidof, Depends how far you go back. I remember back I think 2007 the snow was as bad as it is currently is this year across the alps, with images of green slopes everywhere. I remember as I cancelled plans to ski that year and went scuba diving instead. Laughing

So it's not as if this has never happened before...it does happen and has happened before.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy