Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Time to buy my own skis?

Poster: A snowHead
I know this gets asked a lot - so please scroll by if I'm being boring!

I'm an early intermediate - late to ski and quite cautious but have really started to get into it. My husband and kids love to ski and we are trying to take 3 trips a season if possible. We just returned from a trip to the PdS where I hired some skis which I just loved and really made some progress with. I'm wondering whether it's worth buying myself the same pair. I've looked at previous threads about ski carriage - doesn't apply as we normally fly with BA or might drive. Just wondering if there are other "cons" I haven't thought of. Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Everyone will have their own opinion on this but I like having my own skis , for me my day can be so different if I start good or bad, skiing is a confidence game and having my own known skis helps me feel more confident
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One thing to consider, rental versions of skis can be different to ones with the same name and topsheet that are available to buy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Reasons for buying:

- Getting something that you really like
- Consistency, as you know how they will feel
- You are in charge of the servicing
- Avoiding the queue at the hire shop
- You simply want to own your own skis

Reasons for hiring:

- No lugging them about through airports etc
- No Ski Carriage cost (if it applies)
- No Servicing costs
- Can change through the week if conditions change
- You are less paranoid about damage and theft - provided you take out the shop's insurance
- You are getting recent technology
- They don't become obsolete or potentially dangerous with age (bindings)

The decision to buy, is primarily not a financial one.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 15-01-23 23:24; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What were the skis? Hire skis are not always exactly the same as the retail model. You also need to take into account servicing.

Buy skis if you want your own skis, but these skis may not be the best skis for you – they’re just the ones you have experience of, from a pool of one (I’m assuming, this season. Previous seasons were a long time ago.). I would get on a few more pairs first, maybe through ski testing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks so much everyone!

That’s really interesting about skis not being the same if they’re retail vs rental versions, I had no idea… they were Head Absolut Joy if that sheds any light.

Good point that I haven’t tried many different ones. I felt i made good progress this trip on those skis - but I have been quite diligent at going to Hemel and practising over the last 12 months which obviously was the main factor (and I’m starting to overcome some mental anxieties about heights and speed - fairly crucial!). I like the idea of having the same skis for consistency as talked about above, and thought the skis I just used seemed to suit me well.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Soozm wrote:
Thanks so much everyone!

That’s really interesting about skis not being the same if they’re retail vs rental versions, I had no idea… they were Head Absolut Joy if that sheds any light.

I think Head make great Piste skis.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Soozm, if you’re skiing 3 weeks a season and not paying ski carriage then buying is a no brainer. Get boots as well if you don’t already have them
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BobinCH, thanks for the encouragement! Very Happy I already have boots, looks like it might be time for some skis then!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Soozm wrote:
@BobinCH, thanks for the encouragement! Very Happy I already have boots, looks like it might be time for some skis then!

The skis sound perfect for you too
https://skiisandbiikes.com/blogs/reviews/best-of-head-joy-series-for-2021
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dont forget you will also probably need to by a helmet as well.
Skis+boots+helmet does take up a lot of luggage space!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Soozm, how about waiting for Oktobertest. Then you can try lots of different skis at Hemel before investing?

My very first skis my hubby bought as a Mothers day present from girls. They were reduced to £99 in Decathlon. They were always OK. I then did the ski servicing course with @Spyderjon. While there I was talking about my knees (many injuries inc ruptures ACL), and he had skme knee bindings which I had been considering. Save to say I left that day with those attached.

A while later did Oktobertest and found a pair of ski I really loved. Much better than the Decathlon. Bought them as ex-demos when the test kit was being cleared and got @spyderjon to switch bindings over onto the new onr when collecting them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@NickyJ, Thanks - that does sound great but we have 2 more weeks skiing before then so I’m quite keen on the Head skis I’ve tried already. I imagine that even is very tempting though!!

@Gorred I already have a helmet… quite annoying taking it through the airport but worth it!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Soozm wrote:
Thanks so much everyone!

Good point that I haven’t tried many different ones. I felt i made good progress this trip on those skis - but I have been quite diligent at going to Hemel and practising over the last 12 months which obviously was the main factor (and I’m starting to overcome some mental anxieties about heights and speed - fairly crucial!). I like the idea of having the same skis for consistency as talked about above, and thought the skis I just used seemed to suit me well.

They are ideal in fufilling what you want/need in skills terms. That pure confidence you got is of such value in taking away any barriers of equipment that tnen allow you to just concentrate on other elements you're experiencing and improving with.

If your OK with the cost, then thoroughly worth it I feel.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you have another 2 weeks skiing and are considering buying I'd use that time to try some different skis out in resort.

Either just go for the top price package in the hire shop and you shouldn't have any issues popping back in after a couple of days and asking to swap the skis, or maybe just pre-book hire for 1 or 2 days and wander around the shops after skiing Monday talking to the ski sellers (as opposed to pure hire shops). Many will let you hire demo skis, often with a discount if you go on to buy them.

Something you'll see said a lot on the Oktobertest boards is that you might not think you're good-enough to tell the difference between different skis but you will be. It will all be a bit Three Bears. Some you'll hate, some you'll think are 'fine', but some you'll just click with.
ski holidays
In case 158 happens to be your size….

https://www.snowleader.co.uk/en/absolut-joy-slr-joy-pro-joy-9-gw-2023-HEAD00510.html
snow conditions
@BobinCH, I saw those, but sadly I want the next size down! Thanks for posting though.
snow report
We've bought, and we only ski 1 week per year (although the retirement bucket list plan is to do a full season or two within the next 4 years).
My wife is a perpetual nervous intermediate. Hyper self critical of her own technique and that is what is holding her back; she lacks the arrogant self-confidence that comes naturally to men.

She rented Head Super-Joys around 5 years ago and immediately loved them; light and responsive and her skiing improved immediately.
Since then, I have been spending many hours/days researching Rental shops in each resort we've been to trying to find one that rents out Super-Joys.

It is now almost mind over matter. If she's on SuperJoys then she is more confident.
So we bought some in last year's end of season sale, and it'll only take 3 years of rental to be in "profit". Include the "saved hours" and we're in profit already and haven't even gone out yet!
snow report
Quote:

the arrogant self-confidence that comes naturally to men

Some men. Not the ones I ever fancied..... wink
snow report
@jamescollings, I think that sounds quite like my story! Althought my ski history is quite short, I didn't ski until my mid forties (early hip replacement and lots of years spent overseas) and have been struggling with fear/ confidence. I Hope she really enjoys them Very Happy

And I bought the skis... being delivered to my nearest S&R in the next few days where they'll fit the bindings. Excited!
snow conditions
Soozm wrote:

And I bought the skis... being delivered to my nearest S&R in the next few days where they'll fit the bindings. Excited!

Very exciting, enjoy them Smile

Do be warned though, ski ownership gets addictive. I currently have 5 pairs… Embarassed Laughing

Ms T.
latest report
Well done. About to post buy them now don’t wait. You could then always buy a second pair if skiing 3 times per year Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Love these replies! Thanks Very Happy
snow report
Mistress Twerkle wrote:
Soozm wrote:

Very exciting, enjoy them Smile

Do be warned though, ski ownership gets addictive. I currently have 5 pairs… Embarassed Laughing

Ms T.

Skis must be like bikes and fishing rods with the ideal number being N+1

I bought my own skis last summer as they seemed the right ski for me and they were very well priced. Normally drive so it was mainly a financial thing. Just spent my first week skiing on them and loved them. They seemed to better than the rental skis I normally got and cant wait to use them again. Going again in March but flying this time and the carriage is £25 so will see what it is like lugging them around.
snow report
Quote:

the carriage is £25

that's not bad!
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

the carriage is £25

that's not bad!

Return or one way?
latest report
ster wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

the carriage is £25

that's not bad!

Return or one way?

That is return but it is £25 per ski!

My mistake it is £50 per pair of skis return and that is with Ski Miguel
ski holidays
You only pay ski carriage for one ski bag which can accommodate 2 or even more pairs so if your hubby also has own skis it halves the cost
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy