Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring Boots for Large Calves

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am looking for a new women's touring boot for tech bindings, but I have a large calf (46cm / 18") and so far I haven't tried anything I've been close to being able to buckle up. Does anyone have any recommendations for touring boots that might suit a larger calf, or know where I can find cuff heights and max circumference listed? Ideally I'm looking for a fairly stiff all-rounder boot. I know that a boot fitter should be able to help with modifications, but I think I need something that starts in a better place than I've found so far. I haven't tried all local options yet, but I think it's likely that I'll have to order a boot online or ask a shop to order one in rather than finding something suitable I can try in store.

I'm still able to fasten my 2010 Black Diamond boots, but they're pretty tired and BD no longer make boots. My most recent pair were 2015 La Sportiva Spectre which I liked a lot. I'm no longer able to do those up but it doesn't feel too far off so I think a women's La Sportiva boot with a lower cuff might work - but I don't think they are stocked much in the UK so I would need to take a punt. Of course I haven't taken any notes on what boots I've tried... I haven't skied much since I developed the larger calf from a medical condition (cleared to ski with), but I want to get back into it this year.

I'm in Scotland close to Aviemore. Does anyone have recommendations for boot fitters in that area or elsewhere in Scotland? Most of the Scottish recommendations I've found here are older and likely out of date, although I see recommendations for Kayla at Craigdon Mountain Sports in Perth from last year that I assume are still current - that's doable for me although Aviemore or Inverness would be easier.

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you need to be looking at the women’s specific boots rather than the unisex ones, as they tend to have a lower cuff height. For example, I use the Technika Zero G women’s, which fits well around my not-particularly-skinny legs (though still somewhat smaller), but the ZeroG Pro (unisex) was much taller and very uncomfortable when I tried it.

The boot still needs to fit your foot though, so you may have to go with that and then get the cuff modified to fit. If you are out in the Alps at any point, you may find the range available is better, though still check for recommendations first.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@carrie33, karla at Craigdon perth is your best bet up that way, craigdon do have a store in inverness but i don't know who is doing the fitting so can't say for sure what they are like

it should be possible to enlarge the cuff of most boots to accommodate a larger calf muscle, they key is get one that works for the foot and have the boot fitter work their stuff
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@carrie33, Look at Dynafit range, I have similar issues and find them, also Tecnica in the past good.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you liked the La Sportiva boot then it’s a shame to have to buy new ones, you said your calves have increased in size due to a medical condition, is it possible they will shrink back a bit and then you can get your La Sportiva boots back on particularly as you said they aren’t far off?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Many thanks for the feedback everyone and apologies for being so slow to come back. I had a good experience with Callum and Sarah at Tiso Aviemore last weekend. I haven't bought anything yet, but I think the Roxa R3 might be a winner. The power strap top buckle gives a lot of flexibility in the fit which works well for me and I generally liked it. They only had the men's model in, so they are checking on whether they are getting the women's model in my size. If this doesn't work out then I'll book in with Karla at Craigdon Perth.

The Scarpa GEA boot didn't quite work for me, but also seemed to be a good option for larger calves. These were the only two boots from the few that I've tried that came close to feeling like the fit might work.

I'm going to Val D'Isere in late March and may also look at what boot options they have there, but I imagine selection will be reduced late season and in any case I would like to have something sorted out before then.

Unfortunately the medical condition (lymphoedema) is permanent - not caused by, but made worse by an infection I got from a ski boot and left way too long to get treated - and my calf size is pretty stable. There are ways I can make a small difference and I might try to do this before skiing, but I want a boot that works even if I don't. I think I'm decided on a new boot for now, but I'll probably also talk to a fitter about whether the La Sportiva boots can be modified to extend the top buckle reach to make them an option again.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That sounds hopeful, @carrie33. Lymphoedema sounds miserable. But it does remind me of Nymphadora, who as we all know, was an Auror.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I like your connection @pam_w Laughing and thanks for the thoughts. Honestly, lymphoedema can be very limiting for some people, but my presentation is mostly just a bit tedious, it needs some management but finding ski boots is one of few things I've come across that doesn't have an easy workaround.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@carrie33, oh that sounds not very nice. How did you get an infection from a ski boot in the first place? A blister or something?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had slight grazing on my calf from a bit of rubbing during a tour which was an entry point for infection, I'm sure most ski boots are a hot bed of bacteria, and people with lymphoedema (which I already had but it was milder and undiagnosed) are more susceptible to cellulitis. That wasn't definitely the cause, but it's pretty likely from the timing. I definitely recommend people take good care of their skin and don't assume that swelling and hot red skin will go away on its own!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@carrie33, it’s true yes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy