Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs at Easter with first time kids

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at booking a week in Les Arcs during the Easter school holidays. This will be the first time skiing for the kids (6 & 10) so a top priority is easy access to ski school. Any advice on whether to go with Arc 1800 vs 1950 vs 2000 and ski school experiences greatly appreciated. I'm a bit wary of ESF given stories of large group sizes but maybe that's not reality.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sure others will have their own views, but from the perspective of us introducing our at the time 3 year old to ski, I think Arc 1800 works really well. It has lots of amenable blues that you can access from a range of lifts - plus easy access to the Peisey area, the Cabanes green to play on even after other lifts close and the bonus of the swimming pool if you want time off from skiing later in the day. We do love skiing in the 2000/1950 area but it's a bit better once competence grows as it can be quite busy and one of the main blues (down to Marmottes lift) can be a bit busy at times especially with relative novices as it gets either icy or cut up. Staying in 1800 it's easy to get to 2000 if you want to so it wouldn't stop them skiing there.

In terms of ski school access it's probably worth checking where your accommodation is as in both 2000 and 1800 (we've not stayed in 1950) you can be a fair walk from the meeting point dependent on accommodation choice.

Unfortunately I don't have any instructor recommendations in 1800 but we've found private lessons with time to practise skills pretty effective - but you obviously have to "sacrifice" your own skiing time for that. We've actually mainly used ESF for that and been really impressed with the instructors. Friends have used ESI for group lessons and they seem to have got on well but I don't have any more details than that.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 13-01-23 20:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If going to a Hotel:

The Golf Hotel in Arc 1800 (Nice 3* Hotel run by Belhambra)
Hotel La Cachette Arc 1600 (4* - used to be a Belhambra Hotel but had a referb and uprade)
Hotel L' Aiguille Rouge Arc 2000 (3* Comfortable but basic)

Edenarc Apartments in Arc 1800 (Quality 4* with H/B option)
Cime des Arcs Apartments in Arc 2000 (Typical 3* Apt)

Anywhere in Arc 1950 is handy with mostly 4* S/C (with H/B options). More expensive, but much higher standard of accommodation. Good ski school - used to be Tignes Spirit, which I think is now Evo2.

I think Evo 2 covers all the above and would be my choice.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Superb experience with Evo 2 in 1800 for us with kids not dissimilar ages. Max 8 in a class if I recall correctly. Also fab swimming pool and sledge track for afternoon fun.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You may need to get booked in for those lessons due to the school holidays, we are going to arc 1800 at Feb half term and I was surprised to find some lesson options not available back in early November. luckily I did manage to book what I wanted.

I was just searching to look for something similar as I think our hotel is a 10 min walk from the ski school, which with kids in ski boots is not going to be fun, does anyone know if there are lockers by the ski school that you can rent ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone for the advice. We're all booked in now at the Edenarc and I can't wait Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@colmhardiman,

What week are you booked in and which ski school did you go for in the end?

We're heading there at Easter too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

You may need to get booked in for those lessons due to the school holidays,

Not sure if this will be a problem. The school holidays don't start until Easter Sunday and then it is only one region.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1950. Nice accommodation, ski in and out.
High altitude - will be warm and slushy at Easter at 1800/1600.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Owlette wrote:
@colmhardiman,

What week are you booked in and which ski school did you go for in the end?

We're heading there at Easter too.

We're booked Apr 8-15 with Crystal. We've got the kids booked in for mornings with the ESF as it looks the easiest school to get to from our accommodation (Edenarc). I'd love to do a couple of private lessons in the mornings while the kids are in lessons but can't find any available, at least not in 1800. That said, having read through all the snowheads wisdom on skiing with kids, we're very much seeing this as a holiday where any skiing the grownups get will be a bonus. The priority is the kids having a good time and wanting to go ski again Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We did similar for a few years. Basically drop them off at ski school, then get your skiing done in the morning. Once they're confident you should be able to ski a little with them in the afternoon, but usually instructors recommend not skiing in the afternoon with beginners - just take them swimming, tobogganing etc.. You should be okay by about Wednesday or Thursday though, to do some Blues and possibly Reds with them by then - again depends on the children. If your group is big enough you might be able to get some skiing done in the afternoon whilst one adult/parent looks after all the children.

I would recommend trying to get a session in one of the snowdomes here before then. It will save a lot on time and faffing once in resort - then both your children will have had some slope time, with instruction and gotten used to putting boots on and skis, etc.. Less of a surprise and you should end up getting more out of being on the slopes in Les Arcs.

ESF I think is fine these days - the extra competition in terms of ski schools has meant that groups tend to be 8 maximum.

Once out there you may well find someone who is available for tuition. Either ESF or Evo2. Just enquire once in resort.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@colmhardiman, its often all hands on deck for instructors in the morning as group lessons will be fully subscribed during busier times.
Those same instructor are often then out on more individual basis during afternoon, giving that availability then. Thats usually the way they structure.

Great asset of 1800 and places like it is that you are literally stepping out onto piste area from most accommodation, making it really easy to mix and match family demand for those that want to rest or ski without difficulties.

Eden Arc has direct ski route into it (if I've understood the correct building ) as you approach the village environs you keep right and it passess above "Alpage" apartments and across a bridge over the access road straight in to that area, about 1 min skiing Very Happy
Out is similar, in that you ski below the Alpage apartments to join piste down to the lifts. Usually no hiking, waiting or anything problematic.

There's plenty to play around with even just staying local to village.

Also a small cable car from village snow front (principal gathering area) that lifts you back up to that entry point to get into Eden easily, ski or pedestrian accessible.

All very convenient.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
srooks wrote:
1950. Nice accommodation, ski in and out.

True. But no beginners area. Ski school is at 2000. To get there you have to take the elevater/gondola thingy, which - of course - is located on the far end of town, and then once yu're up there walk a bit more, as the beginners area lays on outskirts.
Have I seen worse? For sure! Is that ideal? Nope.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy