Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva Car Rental - Price drop

Poster: A snowHead
It was pointed out on the PDS thread that car rental prices at Geneva Airport Swiss side have dropped significantly for January (probably due to cancellations) and somewhat for March. I have just cancelled and rebooked 3 car rental long-weekend and saved around £250. I use genevaairport.org site which allows free cancellation upto 48 hours before the rental.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Agreed...we are off for 8 days and were going to use trains as car rental was mental.
I got an email yesterday from Rentalcars.com offering 10% off, that prompted me to check and it was nearly 60% the previous extremely high price....now reasonable, so we booked a car.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We use Europcar as we are in their loyalty scheme (and I’m two rentals off the status that gives us a free 2nd driver) and annoyingly their prices haven’t moved at all! We also use them as they have a few ID3 EVs which saves us a few quid on fuel (it’s obviously not full to full on elec), especially if we’re doing a midweek airport run to drop off/pick up mates. But for a weekend in March I have flights for I think I’ll be going back to a broker site as it’s c£100 cheaper for a 4 day rental.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@andy from embsay, try the GVA site as it’s a broker site run by Car Trawler for the airport and even the cheapest bookings can be amended or cancelled upto 48 hours. Was recommended by @laforet and found them cheaper than the Rentalcars.com site. I always go for cheapest over the rental company as don’t see a lot of difference between the ones using GVA P51 facility and I am often the first to the counter as I travel only with hand luggage and site near front of economy.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, we’ll try that @Ozboy - there’s not really much difference for our 9 day Feb trip, especially given effectively free fuel with an EV, so we’ll stick with Europcar til we’ve got the status for a free 2nd driver then do some shopping around. We can cancel Europcar with 48hrs notice, but there’s not really a lot of difference on any of our trips that we have booked. We spend about CHF45 on a return trip to Morzine with a couple of supermarket trips, probably CHF90 if we do an airport run midweek. With an EV it costs us at most €10 for elec (we have a charger at our place so we pay about €0.15kWh).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree EV is the way to go, especially not having to fill up, but I am yet to have one offered. I’ve had a Toyota petrol hybrid (hideous looking SUV thing) a few times and found them very cheap and quickly to fill.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Europcar have quite a few ID3s and the occasional Cupra EVs. Other than that Avis have some Polestars but they’re super-spendy.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I got an email from Hertz Gold Club to say they have offers with a 15% discount in Europe, including EVs. You have to book by 20th Jan. Gold Club is free to join and you get a 2nd driver included (or did). And upgraded if possible (generally, I've got upgraded about 1 time in 3). You also get a fast track desk at GVA. I've already bought our SBB train/télépherique Saver Day Passes for our upcoming trip but taking a quick look, the cheapest Herzt is £51/day (Fiat 500) while the cheapest estate is £61/day. That seems cheaper than when I last looked but given our Saver Day Pass tickets work out at £91 each return door-to-door, car rental still doesn't compare favourably - but that's for only 2 of us staying 2 weeks: a group of 4 staying only a week might be happy to pay the extra £15 or so each for the convenience of a car.

[Addendum: Just going to the Hertz website directly sees quotes about 15% higher than the above, so there's obviously something in my email link that passes on my membership details and gets me the slightly better rates. Presumably if I logged into my account through a browser or used the app I'd also get the better rates that way as well.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 27-12-22 23:17; edited 5 times in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Current low prices aren't limited to Geneva - 11 day rental from Milan Malpensa in March currently £73 including snow chains. Can't complain with that!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@LaForet, I joined Hertz membership last season but I’ve always found their prices higher than from the GVA site which offers the cheaper “second tier” subsidiary brands that do not seem any different to their parents - perhaps slightly older car. I’m cost sensitive as we use a lot of rental cars, sometimes on my own.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@LaForet, I’m a Hertz gold member - just had a look for our early feb trip - way more expensive than our current booking - we’re paying CHF680 for an ID3 for 9 days. Hertz want £750 for an EV. We did book very, very early though.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

11 day rental from Milan Malpensa in March currently £73 including snow chains.

nothing like that at Geneva Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
Current low prices aren't limited to Geneva - 11 day rental from Milan Malpensa in March currently £73 including snow chains. Can't complain with that!
At that price it could be well worth driving to France or Switzerland from Milan! Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, must admit that has crossed my mind before! Flights to Malpensa and Bergamo are really frequent and cheap from Edinburgh too...

@pam w, Geneva Swiss side is currently £354 for 11 days in January for me (including winter tyres). More than double previous years but cheaper than it was looking a few months ago.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
At that price it could be well worth driving to France or Switzerland from Milan! Laughing

That’s a long way in a wheelbarrow Very Happy
ski holidays
Just saved £300 by rebooking.... Thanks for the heads up! Very Happy
ski holidays
Just rebooked our car for next weekend (5-9 Jan). Same car, same supplier, £40 cheaper - not a huge saving but better in my pocket than theirs! Our end of Jan hasn’t got cheaper yet though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy