Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Din setting for Mrs Skeeezo

Poster: A snowHead
I have bought my wife new skis & boots for Christmas and I’m sat here in the process of setting them up..

As I snowboard I’m a bit clueless as to what the din settings should be for her.

I have set them both to five for the moment but choice that be too high?

She’s 5ft10, don’t know weight exactly, I’d guess just under 9st. Her level is beginner/intermediate can do red runs but prefers cruising blue and greens.

Can anyone offer din advice please?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 14-12-22 20:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Skeeezo, her weight is more important than height...is she incredibly slender..as in a model with that weight? You need to find out properly and use a din chart...google
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
She’s slim, yes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boot length makes a difference too - can't really say without that. I use the calculator here: https://www.mechanicsofsport.com/skiing/equipment/bindings/din-calculator.html
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
didn't the shop set them up for you? Are you sure the bindings are adjusted to her boots?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Does she know she's getting them (please say yes and she's tried the boots)...if so ask her weight
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Best advice is to take them to a local ski shop to fit and adjust for you . The price would be small in comparison to an injury if you set them up incorrectly. Din is one part that needs to be right but also the forward pressure and possible toe height depending on the binding.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As above, don't just adjust binding to numbers on rail. If it's on the low side of range both front and back you often need to move the back binding forward a notch to get the correct forward pressure.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Salomon tech manual, should give you a good idea how to adjust forward pressure on most bindings.

https://issuu.com/salomonnz/docs/salomon_tm_alp_2021_72dpi

Din calculator

https://www.dincalculator.com/

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 15-12-22 12:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Yes, boots were tried in and they’re OK.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Glosterwolf, Salomon manual applies to most skis? How?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry, in terms of working out the forward pressure setting indicator, look and marker bindings I have seen have similar indicators in my fairly limited experience.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
does it have a "20" as a setting?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Get them set up by somebody who knows what they're doing. Your wife is far taller than I am, and weighs less - I'm around 9 st 10 and that makes me a fairly slim size 10. Unless you've got her weight and/or height wrong, she's Olive Oyl.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Skeeezo, boots were tried on, or fitted for her?
snow report
FWIW my avid skier consultant knee surgeon, who is, according to him, a handy skier recommends one shouldn't ski on more than 4! My din chart says I should be on 6.5 but I ski on 4.5. I'm relatively cautious, not having an ACL on my left, and have never had a binding release on me except when I have taken a tumble. Then they normally do, thankfully.
ski holidays
I think it is alot to do with personal preference dictated by ability and how you ski. If you ski slow you are better off having it lower than calcs say because injury will be more likely to come from twisting legs up than a ski releasing. If you ski fast you don't want to risk it releasing and losing a ski at 40+ mph. I have mine on 8 which is low for my physical attributes and ability but I don't ski faster than I'd be fairly comfortable hitting the deck at.
snow conditions
Best dose of common sense I've read on the subject for a very long time @noggy,
latest report
I can't agree with the low-DIN advice as a general rule. There are many many situations where a good skier is exerting forces through the binding that would instantly pop it out on that setting. I normally ski on 8.5 (85kg, 185cm) and on the rare occasions I have a fall they release just fine, like last week when I was hit side on and sent tumbling head-over-heals. Conversely I recall some years back when my Fritschi bindings had gone out of adjustment, down to 6 or so, and I had quite a few unwanted ski releases in normal skiing before I identified the problem; and of course the risk of injury increases hugely if you fall compared with if you don't.

Yes, a slow skier could go lower for reasons stated by @Glosterwolf, and also they'll not be putting much force through the ski anyway, but a fast aggressive skier needs a higher setting, full stop.
snow report
@Chaletbeauroc, I'm with you on that.
ski holidays
The general rule does apply @Chaletbeauroc, you are a ski instructor and ski at a level and speed that is nowhere near to the average British holiday skier.
Out of interest is your 8.5 din setting consistent with the calculated figure from manufactures data.
My stats: 182cm 73kgs advanced skier din 5.5 ..........never throw a ski!
ski holidays
There's no suggestion that Mrs@Skeeezo is a fast and aggressive skier. Rather the reverse, so all this willy waving is a bit irrelevant, isn't it? In my experience a slow speed fall (of the kind which happens to nervous intermediates) is highly likely to hurt a knee. After a couple of non-fatal knee injuries my DINS were generally set a bit low, because I saw myself as the opposite of an aggressive skier. My role models, when I was learning, were two elderly Austrian ladies I spotted on our first family holiday - dressed in their lovely loden coats, chatting as they flowed effortlessly down the mountain in unison. They looked like they'd not fallen over since they were 6.
ski holidays
As @pam w, discussions of DIN settings sometimes reverts to willie waving. There are standard charts easily available that will give you recommended settings based on height/weight/skiing ability. What should be added to that is personal preferences mostly driven by what type of skiing you do and the level of risk you are comfortable with. For example my daughter will set her bindings differently (and much higher than mine even though she is much lighter) for racing than when she is pottering about with the family. I will generally set mine very low when teaching beginners. I will adjust when skiing aggressively. And when off-piste in potential no-fall circumstances. It is also the case that pre-release is much less of a risk when skiing well on piste, I can ski as fast as I like on DIN 5.5 with no pre-releases when carving on piste. If doing some jumps and side-piste the risk of pre-release increases.

In short use the charts as a starting point. And if you want to save your knees go as low as you can.
latest report
Rogerdodger wrote:
The general rule does apply @Chaletbeauroc, you are a ski instructor and ski at a level and speed that is nowhere near to the average British holiday skier.
Out of interest is your 8.5 din setting consistent with the calculated figure from manufactures data.
My stats: 182cm 73kgs advanced skier din 5.5 ..........never throw a ski!

Sure, I'm not suggesting that my setting work for everyone, but the suggestion, allegedly from a surgeon, was that no-one should set them above 4, which IMO is just ludicrous.

The DIN settings calculators - and what a variation there is among them! - should take ability level, skiing style and everything else into consideration. I get 8.5 using this one: https://www.dincalculator.com/ . You need to set it to small-footed, short, lightweight novice to get it anywhere below 5.

For anyone of reasonable stature and weight, particularly once they start to progress, having them set on 4 would be disastrous. I do occasionally need to get a student to change their settings if they've been put too high, but also have, on a few occasions, had them set too low such that their skis are popping off every time they get slightly out of control. Every time a ski comes off the student's enthusiasm, energy level and confidence goes down a notch, so although a low-speed pre-release on a learner slope may not in itself be dangerous it's definitely something best avoided.
snow conditions
@Chaletbeauroc, I ran my data through the calculator you linked to.

On that particular system I came in at 6.5. As I said above, I run at 5.5 and hardly ever pop a ski off.
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
https://www.dincalculator.com/ . You need to set it to small-footed, short, lightweight novice to get it anywhere below 5.

Have you got this a little back to front? Isn’t it the big booted peeps who get the low DIN settings?
snow report
@kerb, Yeah, so it would seem. TBH it's not something I'd ever really thought about, but the mechanics of it do make sense, now that I do.
snow conditions
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
@kerb, Yeah, so it would seem. TBH it's not something I'd ever really thought about, but the mechanics of it do make sense, now that I do.

I think it’s a common misconception and a dangerous one in some cases: “I’m a big tough Bloke with massive feet so I’m going to crank my DINs up a bit”
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kerb, I'm not sure it's that common - if anyone's taking it into account at all they'll presumably be using a calculator anyway.

The more dangerous rule of thumb is just to divide your weight in kg by ten. As it happens that works for me, but for many people it would set them far too high.
ski holidays
No, the bigger the sole length the higher the rotational force so the din setting goes up to reduce the risk of a premature release. If I follow the suggestion to have higher din for smaller feet then children and small adults would never release and the injury rates would rocket.
snow report
I seem to recall a very sensible article years ago describing how pre-releases were often more to do with snow under the boot causing the obvious mechanical problem than poorly adjusted binding DINs.

I've just run myself through that online calc and get a 7 (ignoring my age >50 as there's no way that makes a huge difference (for me)). Which conflicts a tiny bit with the 8.5-ish I normally run on. Hey ho.
snow report
Just tried the calculator which chucked out 9.5 for me. When I had my last set of skis fitted 5 years ago their Calc chucked out 10.5 which seemed a bit OTT.

Have run at 9.0 since getting the skis and neither suffered pre-release nor non-release.

PS. My setting is mainly because I am 85 ish kg instead of a skiing god Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy