Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - best time

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to book Saalbach for either January or March.
What would you guys recommend for snow reliability and overall best time to visit?

Bunch of lads going so sometimes our ski day doesn’t start til after 10am with a bad hangover and heard slopes can get slushy around 1/2pm in March? But then also heard January can sometimes be a white out with no blue days? I guess nothing is guaranteed but just interested in everyones opinion.

Only been to Austria once in Ischgl late March which was amazing but I know the skiing is at a higher altitude.

Thanks all.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nba2005uk,there is no right answer, if you were keen skiers ie in the queue for the first lift every day then I would definitely say January but if the apres bit is a key part then March. Yes there is a much higher possibility of slush or poor snow on the south facing slopes (basically the whole of the north side of the valley) but if the sun is shining it is much better for the apres. Nothing better than standing around for a beer or five in the spring sunshine after a day on the slopes. There will still be plenty of snow to have good time skiing too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@nba2005uk, I live in Saalbach throughout every ski season. Based on the last few years, my favourite times to ski in the Ski Circus have been the middle of December, the middle of January, the middle of March, and early April. Relatively uncrowded pistes means they tend to remain in reasonable condition. Obviously cold snaps and warmer spells alternate throughout the season, (and that’s always in the lap of the gods when booking in advance), but the times I’ve mentioned provide a reasonable expectation of decent skiing and a good time. Obviously not December or April if après-ski is important, as in both cases it’s quiet.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
January & March covers over 60 days - about 1/2 the ski season.
Do you have a week for each month in mind?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
January. Later the better if you can afford it
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@tatmanstours, I'm heading there peak season middle of Feb as I have kids in tow, how bad should I expect the lift queues to be at this time?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was there the 3rd week of Jan and second week of March 2020, snow and apri were great for both, COVID not so good. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
last week of jan for me

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 22-12-22 10:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pctaylor, During February, the various half term holidays are spread out during the month: Vienna, Salzburg, Bavaria, Netherlands, etc. So much depends on whether the U.K. half term week happens to clash with one of those.
You can check on one of those websites that tells you the European school holidays/term dates.
But generally Saalbach is pretty good - assisted by the fact that it has the largest number of gondolas of any resort in the world, and they tend to disperse skiers throughout the area. I don’t tend to go up at peak times, so I’m always surprised to encounter a queue.
There are a couple of bottlenecks at the Schönleitenbahn bottom and mid-stations, and the Reiter Ost lift, where I have sometimes encountered queues, but to my recollection during New Year and Fasching weeks. And not horrendous queues. It’s a relatively queue-free resort.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The only place we came across bad queues (maybe 4 or 5 mins) was this lift here between say 9.30 and 10.30.

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pctaylor, we visited at UK half term with kids for 10 years. Queues exist at peak times when ski schools are going from their meeting places onto the hill. That means on the Ubahn and Reiterkogel in Hinterglemm and on the Schonleitenbahn, Bernkogel and of course Turmweise in Saalbach, it will be busy between about 0925 and 1000 while those groups move through.

Other than that, queues of 5 minutes at pinch points on the hill were occasional rather than regular, and that was typically because of a pile-up on the exit ramp which caused the lift to be closed for a couple of minutes and resulted in a queue building up.

Basically, get out before 9am if you can. If you are dropping kids at ski school, drop them off at 0915 and leave rather than waiting for them to start their day and fighting your way through the lift queue while you watch them get priority access ahead of you.

The alms will be busy from 1230 to 1330 - it pays to have a coffee stop around 11 and then continue to 1330, or stop early for lunch, or decide for the day where you will be stopping and then reserve a table in advance.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[quote="nba2005uk"]Looking to book Saalbach for either January or March.
What would you guys recommend for snow reliability and overall best time to visit?

Bunch of lads going so sometimes our ski day doesn’t start til after 10am with a bad hangover and heard slopes can get slushy around 1/2pm in March? But then also heard January can sometimes be a white out with no blue days? I guess nothing is guaranteed but just interested in everyones op

in answer to your opening post ,Its been a while since I would call myself one of the lads but if you are of a mind to listen to the voice of an ageing bin there seen it done it and still does albeit a bit steadier chap
its got to be march ,longer days i.e daylight generally warm enough to start to party outside without getting frozen towards the end of your short day . Due to your late start time you could plan your day for the home run later or even stop off at a mountain hut that welcomes the 4pm onwards brigade to enjoy a tincture or two on the way down to the serious apres of whichever sort you like as its not yet sunset , never seen the point or to be fair not that much interested (nowadays) in stopping out all night every night so recommend a latish meal in covivial company then bed sleep with the window open a tad ( in my experience fresh air removes the chance of a hangover) dont shut the curtains so you wake up with the sun and repeat. weve been going to saalbach in march this last few years (other than covid ) usually within the first half and have had a ball ski wise, party wise the austrian hosts in saalbach have a word for it in fact two lassig and gemutchkilite ( forgive the spelling) , have fun hope you get sorted
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski for fun wrote:
to enjoy a tincture or two on the way down

Sorry bruv but you sounded a hundred there.

Other than that I'd agree with most. We done my 40th in saalbach with all the boys in early march. Snow, temps and apres we're spot on. Food in our hotel was perfect and the resort was excellent (thanks tatman) the only thing I can't believe is that it was 10 years ago already. That sux!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 24-12-22 16:37; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ha not a hundred yet, but well on the way to 70. I aint going to spend my time rocking in a chair unless its attached to an overhead cable .Shouldnt be wishing time away but looking forward to 11days to saalbach in march, the only slight concern I have is wether the hinterhag will be in full swing it did open outside last year when we went so time will tell
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ski for fun, it’s already open. Was in there last night. On the positive news front, there’s been a bit of refurbishment and maintenance work, and Evi has had her blonde locks chopped in favour of a far more fitting grey bob. On the negative side, she’s still trying to sing.
snow conditions
tatmanstours wrote:
@ski for fun, it’s already open. Was in there last night. On the positive news front, there’s been a bit of refurbishment and maintenance work, and Evi has had her blonde locks chopped in favour of a far more fitting grey bob. On the negative side, she’s still trying to sing.

thats good news for those of us who are tone deaf but got to hand it to the lady she is the heart of the place
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy