Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Macedonia

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone who is interested in skiing in Macedonia? I just got back from a trip to "sound it out"!

The off piste opportunities are amazing but this location would not be for everyone!!! I will go back for sure and I think with a set of skins and an open minded attitude there is a great time to be had.

I blogged it here www.petesilvergillespie.wordpress.com

Be interested to hear from anyone else who has been (or similar places)

PSG
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
very interesting, gilleski - good to hear about other places, really quite close to home, in terms of simple distance, but so different in other ways.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good read.

Stayed at the Hotel Slavija for 8 nights in January 2011.

Skied the resort for 7 days and 1 day with Eskimo Freeride cat skiing.

Great welcome and service at the hotel.

Food and drink solid.

Snow excellent.

Amazing views.

Excellent skiing and touring.

Cheap and superb value for money.

Returned to that area a month later and skied Brezovica, Kosovo and Savin Kuk & Kolasin, Montenegro.

A two week trip skiing all three countries is highly recommended.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike Pow, Thanks Mike, I would love to check out the other areas. I think the Balkans has something to offer, little bit wild!!

PSG
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
After Gulmarg last year http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2245800&highlight=gulmarg#2245800 I am planning another budget powder trip. I am thinking of a week in Jan or early Feb.Mostly cat skiing with Eskimo Freeride. Any info or any one want to join me welcome.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Going to get round to the TR some day soon. One that slipped through the cracks.

Eskimo Freeride is a good operation but if the double to the top is open then I'd just ride the lifts.

Approx 15 euro for a day ticket compared with 160 euro for a cat day. They end up doing 1-2 runs more on pretty much the same terrain.

But if the double is closed and it's a powder day then it's a must do.

Or if the front side is wind blasted and Eskimo ski the backside.

Easy touring from the base.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 11-09-13 9:54; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some links in the meantime :

http://popovasapka.com/

http://makedonija.name/land/popova-sapka-ski-resort

http://www.skieguide.com/macedonia-skiing.php

http://travel2macedonia.com.mk/accommodation/hotel-slavija-popova-sapka
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gilleski, Hi, I went skiing a Strpce in Kosovo in 2002 when I was working in Kosovo. I remember some good nights at the pizzeria and being invited to drink slivovic at 08h00 in the morning with the local instructors! I spent a good number of weekends in Macedonia between Skopje and Ohrid but never went skiing in Macedonia although my Macedonian friends spoke about Tetovo. I did a lot of paragliding around Lake Ohrid on the border with Albania. Fond memories and still stay in contact with Macedonian friends.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Interesting read! Thank you for posting. You really wouldn't take kids there though, huh?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
read this
http://www.sommerschi.com/forum/reportagen-f8/sos-2013-sued-osteuropa-ski-15-2-4-3-2013-t2945.html

even if it's written in german (not by me) - pictures tell a thousand words
and there's always google translate
http://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sommerschi.com%2Fforum%2Freportagen-f8%2Fsos-2013-sued-osteuropa-ski-15-2-4-3-2013-t2945.html
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Clarrylove wrote:
Interesting read! Thank you for posting. You really wouldn't take kids there though, huh?

Plenty of children skiing Popova Shapka when I was there.

Great variety of terrain.

Quiet.

Very different ski experience.

Very friendly workers and visitors.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow! just seen that Whizzair flights from Luton to Skopje are as little as £30 each way in the winter! Mrs MA and I are always game to ski somewhere new so could well be up for some of that for a long weekend in Macedonia Smile.

It's quite funny to be planning somewhere new and to be totally clueless regarding logistics - I haven't yet looked up any maps so have no idea how ski areas/resorts/towns might relate to each other..... Confused.

Can I be like a Snowheads newbie and ask Mike Pow and gilleski:

- Thoughts on a possible itinerary/where to stay if we were to have three full days on snow, hopefully including one day of catskiing?
- Is it Popova Sapka resort that the catskiing is next to?
- Would we need a car? (Presume so - and if so, how are the roads/can you get snow tyres/hire chains?)
- Is Skopje worth a look - and if so, is there any skiing that is do-able from there?

Cheers!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hopefully your questions will be answered over the next couple of days. Working through the pics now

TR: Western Balkans Part I - Popova Shapka, Macedonia (January 2011)

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2342318#2342318
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This all looks VERY interesting!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's a great area and I'd definitely return.

Keep checking the link as I add more entries.
latest report
Brilliant post - i love to read about the more adventurous/unusual slopes. There is a thread here on Trip Advisor that you might find useful if you are still looking for ideas? Their forums are always packed with great ideas from travellers as well as the usual resort reviews.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g295109-i8578-k4691049-Macedonia_Itinerary-Republic_of_Macedonia.html
snow report
Nothing in our sH snowbase for Macedonia - anyone want to update it? Or is snowbase just a historical 'feature' that is never really used these days?
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Wow! just seen that Whizzair flights from Luton to Skopje are as little as £30 each way in the winter! Mrs MA and I are always game to ski somewhere new so could well be up for some of that for a long weekend in Macedonia Smile.

Which period did you look for? I could not find anything under £160 on Kayak?
snow report
Two otehr questiosn that sprang to mind is:

- What kind of backcountry gear is one going to need for the off-piste areas?
- What is the avalanche risk?
snow report
ysb33r, presumably:

- The normal kit
- Depends

?
snow report
clarky999, keep the avalanche poodle on a hair trigger. Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:
Wow! just seen that Whizzair flights from Luton to Skopje are as little as £30 each way in the winter!
Quote:
Which period did you look for? I could not find anything under £160 on Kayak?
I went straight to the Wizzair website ysb33r - and have just been back on five mins ago. I haven't checked any other times in winter but in the last week of February and the first week of March 2014, practically all of the outbound flights and a lot of the return flights are £29.99 each. After that, the next price is £39.99.

Mike Pow: Your link and report are excellent! Really whetting my appetite - it all looks amazing! Keep it coming Smile.
latest report
meh, Laughing
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
ysb33r, presumably:

- The normal kit
- Depends

?

+1
ski holidays
Thanks mountainaddict
latest report
Interesting piece.

'The only one obvious difference is the villages were centred around a Mosque.'

This worried me, until you mentioned the half litre of wine.
latest report
I loved Macedonia and am returning in 2014 with some clients. You need to be open minded as its not like a standard European resort ( service levels) although everyone I can across was really friendly. The trade off is it feels like an adventure and you feel you are skiing in an exotic location with a twist of adventure.

We used the Luton Skopje flight then a Macedonian friend organised a private taxi to resort. This cost €150 return which was quite good value as I was also quotes €300 for the same trip. It helps to have someone on the inside as western Europeans may be taken advantage of!

I used Hotel Slavja which was ok as I knew what to expect and I was there for the adventure. Food was nice but rooms very basic and bathrooms was “ Interesting” to say the least. This season I am using The Snow Patrol lodge ( you fill find them n FB). These guys seem really well organised and are quick to get back to you.

It’s a small resort but with some good piste. The off piste terrain is great and if you have skins you will be able to access a very big area. The CAT skiing operation looks good but quite expensive and agree all prices first!! In the Balkans prices have a tendency to change a little ( but not in your favour)!

There is NO plan B for anything! You are your only plan B so think about that.

Not much on slope facilities and night life will be based around your accommodation as there is not really a hub to the resort.

Its as cheap as chips with lift pass at €15.00 a day and night skiing €5.00. ( obviously you will need the man who sells the lift tickets to turn up, he was a little late on most occasions.)

Its Balkan….but I love it.

PSG
snow conditions
Cheers gilleski!

It all sounds great - Mrs MA & I love off the beaten track/almost Warren Miller-esque destinations. So far we've managed that sort of feeling in Chile, Poland and, to a lesser extent, Bulgaria (lost on roads with cyrillic road signs.....then 'Istanbul 1500(?)km, being the next English sign we saw). Great fun. We're planning on trying a few more exotic places.

Interestingly, I note that Mike Pow's trip report refers to dirt cheap taxis from the airport to the skiing - which contrasts with the cautionary note (from gilleski) re. needing an insider/local to avoid being ripped off. Car hire seems reasonably priced though - but how are the roads?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Things may have changed since I was there (2011) compared with gilleski who was there in 2013.

But snow tyres aside I had no problems either way.

My second trip out there a month later (TR to follow) saw me fly in to Skojpe, hire a car at the airport with SIXT and then drive through Kosovo to Montenegro and back.

Roads were mostly good. Potholes in the cities and larger towns.

Not much traffic, downtown Pristina, Kosovo notwithstanding, and safe.

Stopped by police twice in Kosovo because I was on Macedonia plates driving late at night.

Very friendly. No dramas.

I was solo and it was good value. 2 people sharing the costs would make it very reasonable.
snow report
Looks good, and possibly a good place to learn some off piste skills and gain confidence. Cheap as well, very tempting.
latest report
Whilst the pitch, the wide open spaces and lack of crowds are great to help you transition from piste to off-piste, there is no avalanche control and no ski patrol (when I was there, may be different now).

So either have the skills and partners, or go with a company that provides guiding and first aid, if needed.
ski holidays
The terrain is great just off the side of the slopes, but as Mike Pow, said there is no avalance control as such. I did see a few piste patrol guys out and about.

If the top chair is closed ( wind etc) you would need skins to access the main off piste area. That said it would be easy skinning. The CAT opperation looks good but you can so a lot of what they do with a €15 a day pass and a set of skins, or a traverse.

I will look to go every season now www.offpistemacedonia.com and www.mountaintracks.co.uk also run courses there.

PSG
ski holidays
Updated

TR: Western Balkans Part I - Popova Shapka, Macedonia (January 2011)

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2343710#2343710
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy