Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow, Ski Tracks or Slopes

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I just wondered which app is best for an iPhone/Apple Watch combo… Snow, Ski Tracks or Slopes?

I have them all installed but have no idea which to use and why. I would just like to track my speed and where I have been really!

Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks

Ben
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Please don't.

I swear these apps make the slopes more dangerous.

Apple watch will track your distance and strava too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or any Garmin.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’ve used Ski Tracks since 2012 to track where I’ve been on a day by viewing the .kmz file and also it keeps a log of days skied. When we’ve been skinning it’s good at showing elevation climbed. I also use ST for recording days on the water foiling. No idea how accurate it is for speed, not concerned about that.

I use Strava for cycling exclusively.

FatMap is great for visualising and planning trips and they added a ‘record’ function last year so I’ve probably switched to FatMap now over ST. FatMap is £30 a year so if you just want it for a couple of weeks a year then stick with ST.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Please don't.

Honestly, for me it's not about going faster or anything live that, I just like looking back on where we went, altitude etc.... a bit like tracking a scuba dive on a dive computer!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
phil_w wrote:
Or any Garmin.

I only have an Apple Watch!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Please don't.

I think you’re right. I made the mistake of allowing my kids to have it. When my girls were about 12 they set off down a slope in tuck and stayed in tuck until they were out of sight around the corner and god knows how long after (Campanule in Les Gets for those that know it). I chased after them but could no way keep up. When I caught up with them, they were in hysterics huddling around their phones. One of the little buggers had hit 50mph Shocked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timmycb5 wrote:
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Please don't.

I think you’re right. I made the mistake of allowing my kids to have it. When my girls were about 12 they set off down a slope in tuck and stayed in tuck until they were out of sight around the corner and god knows how long after (Campanule in Les Gets for those that know it). I chased after them but could no way keep up. When I caught up with them, they were in hysterics huddling around their phones. One of the little buggers had hit 50mph Shocked

Yeah, I totally understand that and there is no way that will be me... too old and too cautious! I just love looking back at the data and I wondered which would give the best output!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've used Ski Tracks* for years and found it does exactly what you want. I've not used the others, so can't comment on them

*Disclaimer - I had the name before the App was created Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used to use Skitracks on an iPhone but switched to using my Garmin Fenix 5 instead. Distance travelled is pretty much the same but my max speed is consistently higher on the phone. I think the Garmin is much more accurate than the phone GPS.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Garmin and FATMAP is a great combo.

I quite often get a reported speed around 250kmh but it’s sitting inside a helicopter so doesn’t really count Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have only used ski Tracks. I have also used it on the kids phones when they were in ski school. This gave me a good idea of what they were upto in it.

I also use it to keep and eye on myself. Make sure I take it eash and don't go too fast rather than to see if I can go faster. Conscious of the remnants of my knee.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I use ski tracks and the resort app - both seldom agree with mileage altitude lifts used etc Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had a Suunto X10 so-called wrist-top computer with GPS and was surprised to find the Ski Tracks app gave virtually identical readouts Confused
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
another apple watch user being using Ski tracks for a few years, does the job and doesn't seem to eat battery! I've looked at a few others but some seem to want you to pay a subscription whereas Ski Tracks is a one off purchase (& I believe they also have a free version?)

https://www.corecoders.com/ski-tracks-app/
snow report
@kitenski, yes I use the Ski Tracks Lite free version. Lets you keep 5 tracks, then you have to decide which one to delete
snow report
I downloaded slopes for the last two days of my holiday and just let it record stuff. I’ve only sat down now a week later to look at it properly but I’m very impressed

Shows me my daily stats, overlays what runs I did and my path down them on the slope, when I stopped, I can scroll through and see what speed I was doing at what point, etc. it’s very cool! Only now getting to look at the data it captured but if I was off again I’d buy it for the year to get all the stats
latest report
That does sound quite fun for seeing where you've been in an unfamiliar area, and either repeating nice runs or avoiding them next time.
ski holidays
Grinning wrote:
FatMap is great for visualising and planning trips and they added a ‘record’ function last year so I’ve probably switched to FatMap now over ST. FatMap is £30 a year so if you just want it for a couple of weeks a year then stick with ST.

Certainly on Android you can download, install, and get the core tracking feature with FatMap for free. Would by surprised if it was different on iPhone.

Just looked and can't see speed on my recordings - but then in the past I've only used it when going off piste and it might record/display different data if you pick Resort Skiing rather than Freeriding
snow report
The Carv app is excellent for this. You need the pressure pads and membership too though which isn’t cheap.
snow conditions
I have tried all three and settled on slopes.

The developer is continually updating it whereas ski tracks feels a bit dated.
snow report
@sheffskibod, do you need to pay a subscription for Slopes? I have an Apple Watch app I use for running and hiking and was pleased to see it supports skiing, so after Ski Tracks failed to sync one day I tried it out the next day and it worked fine and I can also download ski maps to my watch Smile

http://workoutdoors.net/
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@sheffskibod, do you need to pay a subscription for Slopes? I have an Apple Watch app I use for running and hiking and was pleased to see it supports skiing, so after Ski Tracks failed to sync one day I tried it out the next day and it worked fine and I can also download ski maps to my watch Smile

http://workoutdoors.net/

Yes it is an annual subscription but feels worth it as the developer is always updating and adding new features. They recently added live interactive piste maps and dolomites is included so keen to test that out on Feb.

We can share the sub using apple family app sharing so doesn’t seem bad value.
ski holidays

is the main screen for slopes for a day
latest report

this is showing where I hit top speed with the kids that day in a lesson - yes I know it’s not fast Smile
snow conditions

zoomed in you can see the run I was on and how I travelled down it - all on slopes app
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy