Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

white streak after waxing

Poster: A snowHead
So I usually wax my skis at the end of season (and in the middle of the season when appropriate of course) and I did the same thing earlier this year. However when I took my skis out for the first time this season I noticed there were a lot of white streak (see picture). What did I do wrong and how can I prevent this from happening in future? Puzzled

For info I did scrap the wax off (after it has cooled overnight) before putting my skis away for the season.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it is just dry wax, will be off after a few runs.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All the excess wax (and even the useful wax which was helpful for a while......) will come off after a few runs, and unless the snow is particularly "cold" or you are in a race, it's arguable that all that messy scraping is unnecessary. Cue big argument.... Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Run your fingernail lightly across it. Did it come off? Then it's wax. If not It's dry bases and you need a light grind and a wax job.

I'm guessing it's wax. Over the summer with temperature changes, the wax has worked its way out of the pores and come back to the surface. Hit it a few times with a steel brush and the base should look great. If not, it's off to your local ski shop. Because dried out (aka "burned") bases don't ever stop showing up gray. You slap wax on and in three runs, it's back.

By the way, I wax every 60,000 vertical feet more or less depending on the type of snow. I don't know what your twice a season equates to. Sounds insufficient. That's sort of in the "Why even bother" category unless you only ski 5 days a year. You might be a candidate for Gigaglide or DPS Phantom.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sibhusky, every how many whats? how do you know?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My Lyonnaise neighbour in Les Saisies, who had skied since she was 4, asked my OH one day, when he was doing our skis on the terrace "Do you do that every year?"
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On the other hand I do recall having to use notwax (or something recommended here) every few runs on some particularly gluey spring snow. But my Lyonaise neighbour would have been sitting in the sun on her terrace with a glass of something expensive, not out battling with it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As others have said it's either going to be too much wax or not enough. Thankfully it sounds like you wax your own skis so the solution is simple - just give them another waxing! It only costs you a few pence and a little time.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you. Followed all your advice - brushed them and then wax them again! Looking great now Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@euanovsky, yes but what temp wax did you put on for the forthcoming temps ? Laughing

Theoretically I should be re-waxing for the thaw that is forecast for the next week or so, but as ever I just get by.

Just maybe, I think many over think the whole waxing scenario*?

*Based on many weeks /season's since the mid 90s

Though I know know maybe I should tune my XC skate skis more than I do rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’m amazed we have got this far without a schoolboy remark Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Weathercam,
You should wax your XC skis once for the morning and again for the afternoon. I'm sure primoz will be along soon to confirm this wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
@sibhusky, every how many whats? how do you know?

How do I know? I have an altimeter. But you can also use many tracking apps available for smartphones, or add up the vertical rise of each lift you ride. I just write it down each day, along with notes about the day. I've done it since 1989. I also keep tuning records for a season or so, but maybe only been doing that for 6 or so years. As I get older I get more absentminded. I didn't do that for the first decade.

Everyone's "day" is different. One person might knock off after 5000 feet and spend 2 hours doing apres. Another might knock off 50,000 feet in one day. Obviously, they will need new wax with different frequency. That's why when I say how often to wax I express it in vertical feet skied. I guess more valid would be length of surface passed over, not vertical, but vertical is easier to track. It just been my experience over time that where I ski, that's about when I need to take them home and do some work. (Normally, they are in a locker at the resort.)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skis get waxed when they need it. For example I find hard packed artificial snow is hard on both wax and edges, so more frequent attention is required. If I am intending to ski fast and aggressively fresh wax and edge tuning is worthwhile, and it's a good idea to touch your edges up if you know it will be icy. If I know I will be side-touring or have long run-outs I always make sure skis are freshly waxed. If I am pottering around with wife and kids I will care much less.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chocksaway wrote:
I’m amazed we have got this far without a schoolboy remark Very Happy Very Happy
Very Happy

Definitely sailing close to the wind with this "you need a light grind and a wax job." for those habitually sitting at the back of classes Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
And as for those "fartage" huts in France, they're always good for a snigger.
snow report
@sibhusky, crikey!
ski holidays
@pam w, @chocksaway, just the three us of with detention after school then Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy