Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

On piste bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I am looking for new skis and, in addition to comparing the different skis, I would also like to compare the bindings. I am basically looking at skis with the following options for bindings:
- Look SPX 12.
- Salomon / Atomic X 12 GW.
- Tyrolia Freeflex 14.
- Marker XCell 12.

Because in general there is a lot of info on dedicated piste skis and also on freeride bindings but not so much on these bindings orientated towards on piste use, is there anyone who knows anything about bindings who can give me some guidance on the following?
- Safety. I read that the Look bindings have a higher elasticity travel and that is supposed to be good. Is there anything else I should know? Any binding that also protect more the ligaments or reduces the forces to the knee?
- Which ones are easier / more difficult to click on.
- Which ones are easier / more difficult to open. Here I think Salomon and Tyrolia are easier than Look and Marker. I mean, Look and Marker are totally fine. It is just that the other two are comfier in this regard.
- General performance.

Thank you!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@etsius, I am by no means an expert but my understanding is that price pretty much dictates here. If you get a package (skis + bindings) from the likes of glisshop or ekosport the base price will be for a budget binding and there will be 2 or 3 other options ranging up in price (+£40, +£80, +£100 or something like that) and my reading in the past has suggested that the more expensive simply each better and ergo more expensive materials (plastics, metals).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@etsius, don't overthink it. Unless you are really big and skiing really hard, the chances are any of the bindings would be fine. Some have more elasticity than others but you're unlikely to notice the difference. Markers have a reputation for being difficult to step into, but that's mostly the older models and more of an issue for people with smaller feet.
More expensive bindings may well have more metal and less plastic, and potentially therefore be more durable (and heavier) but most people will change their skis before they wear out bindings.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Which ones match the colour of the skis?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Salomon shift
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've found this video useful when I was looking into the different bindings options.

http://youtube.com/v/RqF6AWejbsY
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ifyou are buying piste skis, they all come with a rack that will fit only one manufacturers binding... so Salomon/Atomic will come with Salomon/Atomic bindings etc. IMV there really isn't much to choose between them.. all DIN certified, all designs that have been around for a very long time...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wot @rjs says. Go with whatever the ski manufacturer supplies/suggests. Very little difference in day to day use in any of them.

@rjs, as good a criteria as any

@nevis1003, eh?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, I will take whatever binding comes with the ski (so the colors will match). I just want to consider the advantages and disadvantages of the ski and also the binding that comes with it, so not only the ski. And also the plate, but that’s another conversation Eh oh!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If possible, the next new skis I buy will have the tyrolia protector series bindings fitted.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have had trouble with bindings in the past (none have outlasted the skis!) so it isn't an unreasonable thing to consider.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Roguevfr, The Protectors are actually a quite interesting option. Maybe I will wait to hear for some more reviews. What I see though is that you can order in Head the Supershape models with this binding but not the World Cup Rebels models (I am looking at the e-SL and e-Race). Is there a lack of compatibility or performance for the more aggressive skis?

@mgrolf, Thank you for the advice!

@nevis1003, The Shifts will be maybe for my freeride skis if I decide to tour with them (I would need new boots also), but in this case I am looking to piste skis.

@Layne, Actually I had never thought about the bindings (only for Freeride/Touring skis), it is just that the person in local ski shop mentioned the advantages of the elastic travel of the Look binding when I complaint about how "difficult" they were to open as compared to my current Tyrolia bindings. And then I started looking into bindings.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy