Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

February 9th - 16th 2023 Resort Help

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

Struggling to nail down a resort so looking for recommendations. Nothing is booked as yet but can get cheap flights from Bristol to Geneva. Happy to hire a car and drive a max of 3 hours.

1. 3 couples in our early 30's so want bars/restaurants nearby.

2. Relatively large ski area and we are all intermediate to expert.

3. Budget wise for accommodation would be a max of £1k per head for a catered chalet but understand asking a lot for our dates.

I have been looking at Flaine and Avoriaz but struggling with accommodation.

Thanks all
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I have been looking at Flaine and Avoriaz but struggling with accommodation.

Because it's French school hols. Go to another country!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have you got the dates right? That looks to be Thurs to Thurs. Catered chalets generally work on Sat to Sat or Sun to Sun weeks.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't know how easy catered chalets are to find anywhere these days. But if you're prepared to self cater with restaurants near by or go to hotels you could try going through the Mont Blanc tunnel to somewhere in the Aosta valley. La Thuile and the Monte Rosa ski area are both reasonable size and should be a bit quieter than France at that time of year with reasonable priced accommodation. Switzerland should have stuff well within your budget but finding it catered may be a bit pricier and eating out is more expensive. But the satellites of the Verbier ski area are not extortionate.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I hadn't looked at the dates - but yes, Thursday to Thursday will complicate accommodation most everywhere. But no wonder the flights are cheap!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think you're going to struggle with those Thurs-Thurs dates if you want to be in a catered chalet at the heart of a bustling resort and walking distance to lifts. The 11th to 18th is half-term in many parts of UK, which ramps up the prices for flights and packages leaving the UK that weekend.

Nevertheless, I put your dates into Booking.com, searched Haute-Savoie & Valle d'Aosta and quite a few nice affordable options came up. If you don't mind a drive each morning, there are hotels, some including breakfast and some half board in Les Houches in France and Entreves in Italy (just the other side of the Mont-Blanc tunnel) well within budget and leaving plenty for restaurants in the evening if the hotel only does brekkie.

There's a nice looking chalet in Megeve (Le Chalet d'Antoine) on there that does B&B, they want £1385 per couple for a double room B&B for your dates, they have 4 left. Megeve ain't cheap, but I reckon a couple could eat out for £615 for the week (£44 per head per meal), as long as you don't order fillet steak & hammer the wine cellar every night!! snowHead

But as others have said, France will be rammed as it's school hols from 4th Feb to 4th Mar 2023, though Paris weeks are the last two this time.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all.

Yes Chosen Thursday to Thursday due to the flight cost saving! and saw that most chalets were check out on a Sunday so appreciate that.

I will take a look at the suggestions tonight.

I dont mind driving to the slopes each morning either, or the couple airbnb's ive found for Saint Jean have a shuttle at the end of the road.

thanks again
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well i be....

https://www.sunweb.co.uk/ski/search?Allocation=2&Participants%5B0%5D%5B0%5D=1992-11-12&Participants%5B0%5D%5B1%5D=1992-11-12&DepartureDate%5B0%5D=2023-02-09&DepartureDate%5B1%5D=2023-02-09&Mealplan%5B0%5D=ai&Mealplan%5B1%5D=vp&Mealplan%5B2%5D=hp&Country%5B0%5D=13&Duration%5B0%5D=8-8&offset=0

There do appear to be options that meet your dates and requirements. Nb prices include lift passes.

(If I have done right should be reachable from Geneva, yours dates and inc half board full board and all inclusive)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Tjhodgson_145, Thurs-Thurs will restrict your accommodation and probably negates any saving you will have on cheaper flights.

I'm on a trip soon Thurs-Sunday (10 days) what I save on flights gets me a hotel near Venice. But in resort it is Sat-Sat. The one day on a Friday is unavailable in resort.

Also consider the cost of the week there. EG how much is food a day in one country (eg France or CH compared to Austria or Italy).

EG as Luigi says in that recommendation £44/meal. When I'm on the BB in Italy I'm spending nothing for breakfast, 6 euros for a pit stop at 11am, £15 max for lunch and nothing for the included evening meal.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’ve just got a quote for courmayuer at £945 per head for a double room and half board.

The runs look ideal being mainly red and blacks. Anyone got anything against the resort? I think the price is pretty good to include breakfast and dinners
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Tjhodgson_145, Courmayuer is a seductive town, a very pleasant place to stay. Assuming you are in Courmayeur proper which is unlikely at that price. The skiing is very limited (41km of piste), which is the opposite of what you said you were looking for. There is some epic off-piste including day trips to Chamonix, you will need a guide for most of it though. And the better stuff is genuine expert terrain.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have stayed in Courmayeur many times, it is a nice town. Where is the quote for?

If you have a car then it isn't too far to drive to Pila or La Thuile for a day.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs wrote:
I have stayed in Courmayeur many times, it is a nice town. Where is the quote for?

If you have a car then it isn't too far to drive to Pila or La Thuile for a day.

so the first one for £945 was Hotel Pilier d’Angle and he's just emailed with £635 for Hotel Berthod which is inclusive of breakfast
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zikomo wrote:
@Tjhodgson_145, Courmayuer is a seductive town, a very pleasant place to stay. Assuming you are in Courmayeur proper which is unlikely at that price. The skiing is very limited (41km of piste), which is the opposite of what you said you were looking for. There is some epic off-piste including day trips to Chamonix, you will need a guide for most of it though. And the better stuff is genuine expert terrain.

ah yes. id read 100km ski area but as you say, only 41km is pisted.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NickyJ wrote:
Well i be....

https://www.sunweb.co.uk/ski/search?Allocation=2&Participants%5B0%5D%5B0%5D=1992-11-12&Participants%5B0%5D%5B1%5D=1992-11-12&DepartureDate%5B0%5D=2023-02-09&DepartureDate%5B1%5D=2023-02-09&Mealplan%5B0%5D=ai&Mealplan%5B1%5D=vp&Mealplan%5B2%5D=hp&Country%5B0%5D=13&Duration%5B0%5D=8-8&offset=0

There do appear to be options that meet your dates and requirements. Nb prices include lift passes.

(If I have done right should be reachable from Geneva, yours dates and inc half board full board and all inclusive)

thank you will definitely take a look
snow report
rjs wrote:

Pretty good and quick bus service to La Thuile as well not sure about Pila.
ski holidays
Tjhodgson_145 wrote:
rjs wrote:

so the first one for £945 was Hotel Pilier d’Angle and he's just emailed with £635 for Hotel Berthod which is inclusive of breakfast

I’ve stopped in Hotel Berthod before and it’s nice, smart rooms (especially in the new wing), close to bars and restaurants and walkable to the main lift up to the ski area. I really like Courmayeur and could happily keep myself busy there for a week.
snow report
@Tjhodgson_145, The Pilier d'Angle is in Entreves, it is near one of the cablecars up but full board makes sense. The Hotel Berthod is right in the centre of Courmayeur, so easy to pick a different restaurant each night.
ski holidays
Tjhodgson_145 wrote:
I’ve just got a quote for courmayuer at £945 per head for a double room and half board.

The runs look ideal being mainly red and blacks. Anyone got anything against the resort? I think the price is pretty good to include breakfast and dinners

Courmayeur is a nice place, beautiful ancient village, very popular with wealthy Milanese who will appear at the weekends.

The ski area is very scenic with the Mont Blanc massif and its glaciers as the backdrop, but has a limited amount of piste skiing. There are the off-piste itineraries, but you'll prob need a guide.

As others have said, it's not far to La Thuile (25mins by car) for a lot more skiing as the Espace Bernardo ski area crosses the border to La Rosiere in France. You might want to do 2 or 3 days there.

Pila is a bit further, 40 min on the Autostrada if you don't mind paying the toll, a bit longer on the SS26 main road, but definitely worth a day in its scenic bowl with a nice variety of slopes above the old Roman town of Aosta.
snow report
T Bar wrote:
Don't know how easy catered chalets are to find anywhere these days. But if you're prepared to self cater with restaurants near by or go to hotels you could try going through the Mont Blanc tunnel to somewhere in the Aosta valley. La Thuile and the Monte Rosa ski area are both reasonable size and should be a bit quieter than France at that time of year with reasonable priced accommodation. Switzerland should have stuff well within your budget but finding it catered may be a bit pricier and eating out is more expensive. But the satellites of the Verbier ski area are not extortionate.

I like the look of La Thuile but the 4 hour drive is off putting!
snow conditions
Tjhodgson_145 wrote:

Where do you get 4 hours from?
snow conditions
It's only a couple of hours but through the Mont Blanc tunnel, so quite expensive.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
Tjhodgson_145 wrote:

Where do you get 4 hours from?

oh I see - for some reason google maps, without avoiding tolls, says 3 hours 45?
ski holidays
@Tjhodgson_145, I meant, where were you measuring 4 hours from to La Thuile?

It is 25 minutes further from Geneva than Courmayeur.
latest report
rjs wrote:
@Tjhodgson_145, I meant, where were you measuring 4 hours from to La Thuile?

It is 25 minutes further from Geneva than Courmayeur.

Yes correct, put in Geneva to La Thuile. Cant link you it but thats what it showed for me.
snow report
Is that NOT using the Mont Blanc tunnel? Perhaps the tunnel was closed when you googled it. Through the tunnel it's under 2 hours. If the tunnel were not available (and it is going to be closed at some point - there was a recent Snowheads thread about it) it would not be worth the journey.
snow report
Stay at home that week and book a ski trip instead in January or March when it's much cheaper and so much quieter.
snow conditions
It looks like the Mont Blanc tunnel is closed tonight, which could explain the long journey times the OP is seeing. From a quick Google, I've found the list of planned closures here:
https://www.tunnelmb.net/en-US/closures-and-forecasts
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sugarmoma666, Don't think Google knows about the closure, it shows less than 2 hours drive for me.
snow conditions
sugarmoma666 wrote:
It looks like the Mont Blanc tunnel is closed tonight, which could explain the long journey times the OP is seeing. From a quick Google, I've found the list of planned closures here:

from my limited French that looks like its going to be closed on the 9th feb. bug ! back to the drawing board
ski holidays
@Markscotski advised
Quote:

Stay at home that week and book a ski trip instead in January or March when it's much cheaper and so much quieter.

Good advice. But for maximum choice of venue, travel Sat/Sat, though there are also some Sun/Sun options.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
@Markscotski advised
Quote:

Good advice. But for maximum choice of venue, travel Sat/Sat, though there are also some Sun/Sun options.

its not helpful advice when the mrs is a teacher so half term it is
ski holidays
Tjhodgson_145 wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:

from my limited French that looks like its going to be closed on the 9th feb. bug ! back to the drawing board

It looks to be closed 22:00 to 06:00, what time does your flight land?
snow conditions
Quote:

its not helpful advice when the mrs is a teacher

Well, that's key information you didn't disclose. This is not supposed to be a guessing game.
snow report
rjs wrote:

I'm guessing it's an evening flight...

Tjhodgson_145 wrote:

the mrs is a teacher so half term it is

...as I can't imagine a teacher getting Thursday and Friday off before HT...

pam w wrote:
This is not supposed to be a guessing game.

Elementary, my dear Pamela! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
Tjhodgson_145 wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:

8.30pm Shocked
latest report
Why not get a cheap hotel somewhere like Cluses the night you land, be up early and through the tunnel and you’ll still be skiing no later than you would had you been in the Courmayeur hotel? It’ll likely be cheaper and a shorter drive from the flight.
snow conditions
@Tjhodgson_145, is gatwick no good? you could fly in to Munich and access plenty of Austrian resorts which would fit your bill
snow report
@Tjhodgson_145, if you can get to Bournemouth, Ryanair flights to Venice are still* decent price Sunday to Sunday for Feb half this 2023....

* or were when I looked a week or so ago.... snowHead
snow report
Quote:
Well, that's key information you didn't disclose. This is not supposed to be a guessing game.
Surely no guessing needed when he'd given us the travel dates wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy