Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Before my time

Poster: A snowHead
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=700067254997227&set=a.213868556950435
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wouldn't feel particularly at ease on that chairlift Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That was what the Pt de l'Au lift (Champoussin) was like until about 3 years ago.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@OuatteDePhoque, it's what Mt Chery was like last time I was in Les Gets
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That pic brings back memories.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
OuatteDePhoque wrote:
That was what the Pt de l'Au lift (Champoussin) was like until about 3 years ago.

What? Had they put a new one in? It certainly wasn’t side saddle in 1989!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, Maybe not quite that shonky, but certainly along those lines.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
First chairlift I ever went on....!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Timmycb5 wrote:
I wouldn't feel particularly at ease on that chairlift Shocked

How come? seem to remember it had a bar across your knees Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It would be fun to know what the capital investment was to get the two chairs up to the Ptarmigan.
The irony is it "worked", for years and years! Side loaders definitely in a class of their own.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
I wouldn't feel particularly at ease on that chairlift
It was state of the art! We knew no other! Also the first chair I ever rode Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ace. Remember a brilliant April weekend post Easter when the other side of White Lady gully had filled in and there were genuine faceshots to be had on my board. For some reason don't remember the shuffling queue being as bad as usual.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@OuatteDePhoque, nah, it was just a two seater and a bit old. And slow.

That was my first chair experience, probably in '75 or '76.

Nothing as bad as the old Punta Indren chocolate pots that you literally had to run after and leap into, with skis.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Detachable and you could ride the same chair from the car park through the middle station up to the summit. Simple and useful in summer too. The problem was it couldn’t tolerate high winds, but neither can modern chairlifts.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=b909AAAAIBAJ&sjid=LUgMAAAAIBAJ&pg=6385%2C8259230

Glasgow Herald, xmas day, 1961 story about the Cairngorm chairlift launching.
snow conditions
From uann's link

".....were unable to see the lift in action - as it has to be still completed. The interior of the White Lady Shieling is also unfinished.."

So, the current problems on Cairngorm are nothing new ..!!
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, “other side of White Lady gully” The M2?
snow report
Wonderful chair - it worked and it got people up the mountain! That's something a multimillion pound funicular doesn't seem to achieve these days.
Cherished memories; the sound of the chairs coming in to the station and the smell of oil (and the sign warning that oil may drip on your clothing - although I never remember it doing so).
snow conditions
Peter S wrote:
Detachable and you could ride the same chair from the car park through the middle station up to the summit. Simple and useful in summer too. The problem was it couldn’t tolerate high winds, but neither can modern chairlifts.

Are you talking about the Cairngorm chair here? I don't remember that you could stay on the chair; I'm sure we had to trudge up the steps to the White Lady Chair?
ski holidays
Certainly wasn't scary. We took our boys on that chair when they were 3 and 6 almost 30 years ago. I also took both with me on the T bars at the top. That's what you did then. No carving skis either.
snow report
That's a deluxe model compared to the pizza box 'chair' lifts Shocked

snow report
Jan, the second stage was moved onto the roof about the same time they built the M1 Poma circa 1981. This was to avoid having to dig out the lift station at the bottom of the White lady.
Before that you got pushed through the Sheiling station on a series of overhead rails..
ski holidays
billb wrote:
Certainly wasn't scary. We took our boys on that chair when they were 3 and 6 almost 30 years ago. I also took both with me on the T bars at the top. That's what you did then. No carving skis either.

So modest
ski holidays
This ride would be fun Madeye-Smiley

http://youtube.com/v/ekvSWF31p1w
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy