Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier lift pass question

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Looking to book lift passes for our family trip to Serre Chevalier next month.

We're going to be staying in Chantemerle. My son is a complete beginner and he'll have just turned eight by the time we go, so he'll probably only really use the one gondola up and down to the nursery area at Ratier. Does he really need a 'whole area' ski pass, which is the only pre-bookable option with our tour operator?

I suppose they might have to go elsewhere in the valley if the weather is bad, but he's certainly not going to be doing away days to other resorts or anything like that!

Cheers,

Chris
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is your son doing lessons? If so they will use more than the nursery slopes.

An average 8 year old will progress pretty quickly.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I believe there is a daily beginners ski pass price that covers Chantemerle and, presumably, Serre Ratier as it is above Chantemerle.

https://www.serrechevalier-pass.com/en/beginners

The Serre Ratier bowl is a good place to learn but it is quite limited. Really only one or two short drag lifts….IIRC.

Ideally one may need to take the next lift up to Grand Alp which is another bowl with many more beginner/progressor options. No idea if this is included on the same ticket.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layne wrote:
Is your son doing lessons? If so they will use more than the nursery slopes.

An average 8 year old will progress pretty quickly.

Yep. He'll only just be eight when we go and he's quite cautious. I'd love to be proved wrong, but I doubt he'll be zooming down the blues - we did a week when he was four and he had great fun, but the instructor kept moaning about how slowly he was progressing! He's going back into Class 1 and I suspect he'll just want to go sledging and have snowball fights in the afternoons.

Obviously, I don't mind doing it if it is the best option, but a whole area pass just sounds a bit excessive.

On a related note. Where's the best place in or around Chantmerle for kids to play around in the snow? Don't suppose there's a park or anything?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ChrisP71, there's the Parc des Colombiers.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ChrisP71, I would try and find out which ski school the TO will be using, then you can ask them about the lift pass.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hells Bells wrote:
@ChrisP71, there's the Parc des Colombiers.

That looks handy, thank you.

Anywhere you'd recommend for playing around with sledge - somewhere with a bit of a hill where he won't be in the way of people skiing?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ChrisP71, there's a great area at the bottom of the pistes in Monetier with its own magic carpet, and I know of others (they're listed on the website on the piste map page as Luges -Espace Ludique, but none of them are in Chantemerle. https://www.serre-chevalier.com/fr/domaine-skiable/plan-pistes-interactif
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Having stayed there 5 times, I also can’t think of anywhere in Chantemerle that’s suitable for sledging i.e. with a hill that’s away from skiers.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We were in Chantmerle a few years ago & saw people with sledges opposite where we were staying! If you look at Google Earth it’s described as Piste de luge gratuite (*to the right of the main lifts)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarletgirl wrote:
We were in Chantmerle a few years ago & saw people with sledges opposite where we were staying! If you look at Google Earth it’s described as Piste de luge gratuite (*to the right of the main lifts)

That looks perfect, thank you!
https://goo.gl/maps/SWeWH839c4wPQnh7A

We're going to be at the Plein Sud, which is quite close to where we stayed last time (Chalet Marmottes). Didn't really find anywhere then.

Now wondering whether to take the big plastic sledge in the suitcase. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ChrisP71, there might even be some at the Plein Sud to borrow? They quite often have school parties in. The area mentioned is across the main road from Plein Sud hotel, and down the hill towards the lifts. I'm not sure how you access it though. It may be from Parc Colombiers,
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells wrote:
@ChrisP71, there might even be some at the Plein Sud to borrow? They quite often have school parties in. The area mentioned is across the main road from Plein Sud hotel, and down the hill towards the lifts. I'm not sure how you access it though. It may be from Parc Colombiers,

Ah yes, that's worth looking into. It looks fairly straightforward on Google Maps, I'm sure we'll find our way in.

Any other 'kid' stuff you'd recommend in Chantemerle or the surrounding area?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ChrisP71 wrote:

We're going to be at the Plein Sud, which is quite close to where we stayed last time (Chalet Marmottes). Didn't really find anywhere then

Karin & Denis Lucas’ place? Lovely people and fab chalet Very Happy Have stayed there 5 times, the last of which was in the cosy apartment below.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cacciatore wrote:
ChrisP71 wrote:

We're going to be at the Plein Sud, which is quite close to where we stayed last time (Chalet Marmottes). Didn't really find anywhere then

Karin & Denis Lucas’ place? Lovely people and fab chalet Very Happy Have stayed there 5 times, the last of which was in the cosy apartment below.

I think so, yes. It was run by one of the tour operators when we were there, but I think we met Denis briefly.
latest report
@ChrisP71 We were at the Plein Sud last year - and going there again in March. Great hotel, delicious food & lovely staff.
Think you can access the “Luge” area through the car park - but not absolutely certain! Hotel staff or Ski instructor will probably be able to advise! Have a great holiday Eh oh!
snow conditions
Scarletgirl wrote:
@ChrisP71 We were at the Plein Sud last year - and going there again in March. Great hotel, delicious food & lovely staff.
Think you can access the “Luge” area through the car park - but not absolutely certain! Hotel staff or Ski instructor will probably be able to advise! Have a great holiday Eh oh!

Thanks. Have a good one.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy