Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for a repaired Achilles tendon

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In June 2023, I had major surgery on my left Achilles tendon to repair a full rupture ie snapped tendon.  The orthopaedic consultant examined me in October 2023 and he is happy with my progress and said I should be OK to ski so I've booked a week in Val Thorens in January.

I tried on my current left boot which is a Salomon Evolution C series (quite old now) and it felt uncomfortably tight.  I discussed this with a friend who is a very experienced skier and he suggested that I rent boots in resort and I can either use both rental boots or my current right boot and the "new" rental left boot which will probably be a larger size than my right boot.

I also talked to an Ellis Brigham technician, who asked if my foot was no longer swollen ie it's gone to the size it will be.  I said I didn't know and we agreed that it would be better to wait a while until I buy new boots and reiterated my friend's suggestion to rent in resort.  I consequently cancelled an appointment with Profeet next week but will rebook in around 6-12 months.

So, all that said, here's where I need advice:
I am an experienced skier (270 days skiing so far) and before my surgery, I could ski all terrains including off-piste.  I am 63 years old.  I need to rent skis so does anyone have any advice on whether I should rent advanced/expert skis (which I normally do) or revert to intermediate skis?  I am wondering whether expert skis will be too hard on my left ankle whereas intermediate skis may be "softer"?  Any advice/comments appreciated.  Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What about the Elan Ripstick 88, which according to Ski Essentials, is fun, playful, easy to ski, handles most conditions and has decent headroom. It also has no metal in the construction?

Another possibility is the Rossi Experience 82 or 86 Basalt....which are also playful, with no metal in the construction - again taken from Ski Essentials review.

The AM construction of the above skis, mean they have a front and back Rocker (longer on the Elan - whose Amphibio profile also helps the ease with which it skis), which should make life easier.

It may mean a bit of trial and error...and the ski shop might also have suggestions.

Ideally you need advice from someone with medical knowledge, who is a skier.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 16-12-23 20:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Stomps, as someone who has severe Achilles tendonitis along with knackered knees (65 yrs young) my advice is best to choose your terrain/conditions and ski accordingly to those.

Good clean soft / fresh snow on the piste, not hard icy boiler plate will obviously be better for you.

Good idea to rent boots and maybe experiment with different sizes for each foot, as long as it's not too busy in resort I'm sure the shop should be accommodating.

As for skis, just don't take out a full on slalom race ski that's needs to be skied aggressively, again different skis for the conditions.

Just go to the shop and explain your situation Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your advice and comments guys. It's very helpful. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Old Fartbag wrote:
What about the Elan Ripstick 88, which according to Ski Essentials, is fun, playful, easy to ski, handles most conditions and has decent headroom. It also has no metal in the construction?

Another possibility is the Rossi Experience 82 or 86 Basalt....which are also playful, with no metal in the construction - again taken from Ski Essentials review.

The AM construction of the above skis, mean they have a front and back Rocker (longer on the Elan - whose Amphibio profile also helps the ease with which it skis), which should make life easier.

It may mean a bit of trial and error...and the ski shop might also have suggestions.

Ideally you need advice from someone with medical knowledge, who is a skier.

Thanks OF. I'm never sure how much choice you get when you go into the rental shop. I'm thinking of booking with Ski Republic Peclet in VT but I'll bear in mind your suggestions. Ta
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Weathercam wrote:
@Stomps, as someone who has severe Achilles tendonitis along with knackered knees (65 yrs young) my advice is best to choose your terrain/conditions and ski accordingly to those.

Good clean soft / fresh snow on the piste, not hard icy boiler plate will obviously be better for you.

Good idea to rent boots and maybe experiment with different sizes for each foot, as long as it's not too busy in resort I'm sure the shop should be accommodating.

As for skis, just don't take out a full on slalom race ski that's needs to be skied aggressively, again different skis for the conditions.

Just go to the shop and explain your situation Very Happy

Thanks WC. This is useful advice. I have already envisaged myself tootling down blue runs for a while to start with. I will explain my situation to the shop as best I can!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As a fellow Achilles rupturee (if that is actually a word)(at 51 yo), I did mine in Feb 22 and skied in Jan 23, Feb 23 and March 23. I had a 95% rupture and no surgery. My boot felt awkward to get in and out of but not overly tight. In fact I've just had a new pair of boots fitted and am still the same size on both feet. It may be worth a quick chat with the consultant to explain what's happened and if they know of reason why that would be?

As for skis, I've got a pair of Elan Wingman 82 CTi which are quite a stiff ski but suit me fine. It hasn't changed the way I ski at all apart from the long road back to strength and fitness!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have no experience of the injury in question but switching to rental boots and hiring some 'noodle' skis seems questionable to me although I get your dilemma. The reason I would question the boots is because I presume your owned boots are custom fitted and were comfortable prior to the injury. I wouldn't have thought 6 months post surgery there should still be swelling to a significant degree but the consultant/medical professional would be best placed to say I would have thought.

With the skis again I would wary of getting something 'noodley' that I wasn't used to.

I would be thinking more along the lines of @Weathercam and easing myself back into things with relatively easy skiing and regaining confidence physically.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Layne wrote:

With the skis again I would wary of getting something 'noodley' that I wasn't used to.

Completely agree...though it's still quite possible to get skis that are a bit more forgiving, but not "noodley" ie. They only start feeling a bit soft at pretty high speeds, which the OP should probably be avoiding anyway. The joy of renting, is you can change during the week if the skis aren't suitable.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hey thanks guys. Very helpful.

I've just had a call with Richard at Daleboot and I'm going down to see him in Abingdon on Wednesday. I explained my situation and he asked if I had full flexion in my left knee. I don't because it's constrained by the tendon repair ie I can't bend my knee forward as much as I could. In fact, I can't yet get it over the end of my foot. So he said the problem will be that I will end up raising my heel (even when held by the boot) and will effectively be skiing on the ball of my foot and likely will be in pain after an hour. So I would need a heel wedge but you can't just put a wedge in one boot as it destablises the skiing position so I would need a balancing wedge in the other boot. He suggested I go and see him so he can see exactly how much flex I've got so that's what I'm going to do on Wednesday.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Stomps, best of luck, let us know how it works out.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For anyone who's interested, I've been to see Richard at Daleboot and he's going to make me some boots hopefully in time for me to take them with me to VT in January. I have booked expert/advanced skis in the hope that they will work for me with Daleboots.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy