Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss train tickets

Poster: A snowHead
If you buy a ticket on the SBB website, usually listed as a particular time, is it valid all day or just for that time? Just asking in case my flight is late into GVA
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I thought there were two options, set time and open ticket for the day. The open ticket was usually slightly more expensive.

Have not looked for a few months though
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think Supersaver is for that particular train (so the cheapest) , point-to-point and day saver (if they are available when you book) are valid for any train for a day.

If you select a ticket in the app usually an (i) will appear to the right, click on that and a window opens telling you the validity.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@nevis1003, as @Gilberts Fridge says, last time I looked yould could often buy some sort of super saver that was only valid on one service otherwise valid all day.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Saver Day Pass is probably best, you buy one for each day of travel, valid through to 5 am the following morning and not tied to any particular train. Be sure and select to ‘no discount card’ option to get the correct fare price if you are a tourist, most Swiss have half fare cards but these aren’t usually economic for point to point holiday travel.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
On the website the validity is stated on the screen after you have selected the service you want and go through to where you are shown the available ticket types to select.

Alternatively on the website there is a “Travelcards and tickets” section, then navigate to “Tickets”, all the ticket types are there, and the validity for each one is in its respective pages.

Its all there.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Open tickets (more expensive, as mentioned) are the best option for outbound travel - in case you get delayed by flight, immigration, baggage reclaim etc. For the return, a supersaver is a good option when you are more in control of departure time. Just done this for our December Saas-Fee trip. I find the SBB website one of the easiest to use and most informative.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This week, I bought my Swiss Railways (SBB) Saver Day Pass for our trip out in Jan-Feb: CHF 52.

The Saver Day Pass, as mentioned, is probably the best option outbound, as it allows travel any time on the date specified, through to 5am the following day.

Go to www.sbb.ch/en then
> Travelcards & Tickets
> Tickets - Day Passes
> Saver Day Pass
> [Purchase Online]
at which point it displays a set of pages for travel dates within the next 60 days.

When you select a date, it takes you to a page where you login as either a Guest or a SwissPass member. If you want to use the SBB app to show any purchases and tickets, then you need to have a SwissPass account anyway (select 'Register for SwissPass' on the above page). Personally, I think that the app is pretty good and worth using, but it will (if I recall) require you to store card details. Having a SwissPass account will also mean you can retrieve your ticket at a later date if you lose the email version.

The price I paid was CHF 52 for a date 60 days away but the price will usually increase as the date gets nearer. The tickets appeared in my SBB app and I got an email attachment as well, which I printed out (just in case my mobile runs out of juice). Because there wasn't much price difference to the cheaper Supersaver ticket for a specific train, I've also opted to use the Saver Day Pass for the return leg as well. Just in case I have to get a later/earlier connection.

Things to watch out for:

The site/app pages switching to the assumption that you have a half-price abonnement (discount card) and applying its 50% discount automatically. You think you have a good deal when the real price is 2x that. As importantly, the ticket won't be valid when it's checked if you don't have an abonnement to match it.

When navigating the pages, it's easy to select the Day Pass or Supersaver Pass by mistake, rather than the Saver Day Pass.

Watch out for luggage/valuables theft on trains with GVA as the destination. Foreign holidaymakers are usually pretty conspicuous and easily distracted. It's not a major problem but worth being alert. Tricks include placing a similar-looking rucsack next to yours then picking yours up when they exit; pretending to have dropped something under the seat so you leave your stuff unguarded; dropping their coat on your handbag then picking it up with the coat; etc.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the useful replies!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anybody have any experience of using a Saver Day Pass for a day that isn't the one stated on the ticket?!

Got a Saver Day Pass for today, flight was cancelled so unlikely to make it to Switzerland and wonder whether the inspectors are likely to sympathise if I were to just plead my case tomorrow Puzzled
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jebroni3_16 no chance. Maybe lodge an appeal at the ticket office before you board.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hd wrote:
@jebroni3_16 no chance. Maybe lodge an appeal at the ticket office before you board.

Speaking from experience, @hd?!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not specifically with the SDP but yes. The SBB ticket checks are red hot. At the very least it would make for an uncomfortable journey spent stressing if you would get away with it or (most likely) not.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
if you miss your train you can cash in the supersaver ticket at a ticket office as part payment to the normal full single fare
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jebroni3_16, are you using the app? Click the ticket and request refund- they’ll deduct 10chf processing
snow report
Also if you do get a demi tariff (50%) discount card, theres an 8-10 week production delay because of chip shortages so you need to print a temporary paper one with a QR code
ski holidays
hd wrote:
Not specifically with the SDP but yes. The SBB ticket checks are red hot. At the very least it would make for an uncomfortable journey spent stressing if you would get away with it or (most likely) not.

OK, thanks. I've always found the SBB staff to be excellent and friendly, especially the inspector on the way back from Stöckli to Geneva. We started off speaking in German and then shifted into French as we passed through the cantons. Would definitely have fancied my chances winging it with someone like him, but it's increasingly looking like a moot point and I just won't travel.

Nadenoodlee wrote:
@jebroni3_16, are you using the app? Click the ticket and request refund- they’ll deduct 10chf processing

Yes, but it's very clear about grounds for refunds of SDP and this isn't one of them. In fact, it expressly days it isn't one and to contact the other travel provider and / or your insurer.

I think @hobbiteater's suggestion of cashing it in as part-payment against a new full-price ticket is probably as good as it would have got, and it itself seems fair enough.
ski holidays
Although upon further inspection of the online refund form, it looks like you can only use the cost of an unused supersaver ticket against the cost of a new normal fair ticket: LINK

Something else to note: I had to purchase each of my two Saver Day Passes in their own individual transaction due to something not working correctly on SBB's site... or maybe this was exactly as intended, because instead of one transaction over £100 on my credit-card that may have been covered by Section 75, they're two £56 transactions that are not.

Today's proving to be a real schoolday!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy