Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations on family resorts in Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all would love some recommendations for skiing in Italy. Will probably be flying into Turin and looking for somewhere with good snow and long cruisy runs (for hesitant intermediates). Travelling as a family so apres ski isn't very important - prefer a quieter resort. Have only skied France before. Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@CosmoJo, hi, we’ve just been to Puy St Vincent which is France but just 2/2.5hr transfer from
Turin. Couldn’t recommend highly enough for child holiday. Very quiet resort - ideal for little people on skis. Great EsF team.
Italy - friends just returned form
esprit in Campoulac again similar transfer time from Turin. I’m looking at it for our trip.
Will be keen to hear any reviews/ideas too!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've done Cervinia twice - easy drive from Turin, really good for long cruisy blues and not-too-difficult reds. Lots of accommodation very close to the centre/chair lifts. Much, much quieter than France. Probably not as picturesque and less tree-line skiing, but reasonably priced, pizza, gelato - we all loved it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not sure quite what "hesitant intermediates" means, but the obvious choices from Turin are either Via Lattea / milky way area - Sestriere, Sauze etc a big linked area, lots of very cruisy reds or Aosta valley, a number of different smaller resorts, where you can base at one and visit others are just go to one. Cervinia, Champoluc/Monterosa, La Thuile, Courmeyeur and Pila being the main ones, but there are countless "local" one and two lift resorts too.

Pila (staying in Aosta town) is obvious choice if you intend to visit a number of resorts in your week there as its most central and lots of accom choices.

there are a couple of very detailed recent threads on Aosta valley if you search.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd second Cervina. Pila is great but not so many long runs - though crusiey! Cervinia has super long runs for all abilities, a bus so you can start either in the main area or at Valtournenche if you don't fancy the connection, and although it's a decent sized ski village it doesn't seem like party central. Plus beautiful, and there's the link to Zermatt depending on what level you're all at. It does lack cover in bad weather - Pila wins there.

As for snow, both Cervinia and Pila held up pretty well considering it didn't snow for ages this season, and even in the hotter weather only the lower runs in Cervinia was mush (which made a nice change to ice which was prevalent everywhere)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You don’t say when you are going. Most of the Italian resorts close this weekend, leaving you really with just Cervinia.
But in general terms I completely agree re the Aosta valley. Full of marvellous slightly old-fashioned quiet friendly resorts. You won’t go wrong with any of the names mentioned. Pila, la thuille, Cervinia/Val tournenche.
But also have a think about gressoney / Alagna / Champoluc. Champoluc in particular is One of my favourite resorts to ski (tho I actually stay in Gressoney). Mellow, great snow, trees, just lovely
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all. Really helpful. We are looking at late Jan 2022 - so a bit concerned about weather in Cervinia. Have read a lot about wind closing lifts.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tbh I’d say it’s hard to top champuloc for a winning combination of local vibe, trees, good snow and general all round family ness. Plus you get access to the amazing gressoney and Alagna skiing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CosmoJo wrote:
Thanks all. Really helpful. We are looking at late Jan 2022 - so a bit concerned about weather in Cervinia. Have read a lot about wind closing lifts.

Gonna need a time travel device...

but if i 2023 you'll be fine.

Wind can close higher lifts anywhere. High winds in Cervinia would most likely stop you going over to Zermatt, but leave you with stuff to ski on Italy side.

the wonders of skiing is you cant predict the weather, it can be lovely in Jan it can be foul in March. if you have transferred via Car, then at least in Aosta valley here are other resorts to drive to if a particular resort is weather effected more than others.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cervinia - fantastic! But later in the season as the wind is brutal
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just a quick one to say, having been only to the pre birthday bash and birthday bash - pretty much any of the smaller resorts we've been to would be fantastic. San Pelligrino would be my choice for a chill week with family but go to that area on google maps and just cruise around looking for little towns with a decent amount of lifts/runs and you'll be golden. Anywhere I've been in that area and of course the little towns off the sella ronda, all excellent with an immensely welcoming attitude everywhere you go.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

if you have transferred via Car, then at least in Aosta valley here are other resorts to drive to if a particular resort is weather effected more than others.

@t44tomo, what are the best ways to monitor daily resort conditions/weather closures?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
purplhays wrote:
Quote:

if you have transferred via Car, then at least in Aosta valley here are other resorts to drive to if a particular resort is weather effected more than others.

@t44tomo, what are the best ways to monitor daily resort conditions/weather closures?

The internet is pretty useful, you can get weather forecasts, resort webcams, resort piste / lift statuses.

My basic thrust was if the weather forecast was windy . then you wouldn't go to such as Champoluc as most of its lifts go over a peak. But such as Pila is essentially a bowl, so the high lifts being closed for wind dont stop you skiing the lower altitude pistes in the resort

etc etc

have had a few skiing holidays with the lap top on with the kettle / coffee pot in the morning checking out the options for the day
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@t44tomo, Monterosa really isn't that windy, all that often, for a high mountain range ...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
@t44tomo, Monterosa really isn't that windy, all that often, for a high mountain range ...

The comment wasn't about whether it was or wasn't. It was about checking the conditions and having options in case somewhere has closed off a number of lifts or it is windy.

It is a super resort, I was mighty impressed when I went.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy