Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me decide!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hey folks.

Long time since I’ve been on here!

Soooo.. me and the nuisance have bagged 20-23rd December child free and have booked flights to GVA.

Where should we go skiing?? Opinions please. For reference we just ski about on the piste mainly - can ski any runs.

Would like a bit of apres. But more importantly the ability to get some kms in.

Merci!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Portes du Soleil is nice and close, Morzine is a nice little town and Avoriaz has the height. Loads of great places to eat and a big varied ski area
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do we think portes du soleil will be open? Or a decent % open?

Last time I was in Morzine in February it rained Sad

Which resorts are easiest to get to? I’ve been to flaine/Morzine/courmayeur . Had chamonix in my head, is it easy to get to?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@v1cky24,

If you're only going for a weekend then I agree with Xanderajma because the PDS is a short distance/transfer from GVA. Morzine itself is very low at about 1000 metres above sea level and therefore you need to check where the snow level is. This season has already started better than last year with snow cover try and find some webcams to see the actual snow cover in the resort.

Chamonix itself is also very low and the skiing is not interlinked.

Flaine and Verbier are also a similar distance from GVA. However Verbier is not as good for piste cruising.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@welshflyer, the season hasn’t really started at all in PdS - there was a fair amount of early November snow that has mostly gone again due to the torrential rain last week, which is normal for early snow. Last December there was actually a ton of early snow (Morzine opened early and the Super Morzine lift was closed because of too much snow) but then there was a massive rainy warm spell over xmas that ruined everything below about 1700m. But despite the doom and gloom it was actually ok above Avoriaz and Plaine Dranse over in Chatel - we didn’t miss any days skiing on any of our trips.

@v1cky24 - you really can’t use what happened on a previous trip as a measure of what conditions will be like in December. Morzine is very low, and it’s not unusual to have no snow in the village, but there’s a decent amount of skiing higher up. And if it’s rubbish in PdS, it’ll probably be rubbish in Flaine - the two ski areas are only a valley apart at the closest point. There’s more skiing higher up in Verbier, and Cham has some high altitude skiing, but may not meet your “cruisy pistes” requirement.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@v1cky24, with just three days and before Christmas you don't want to be taking too much of a risk. Avoriaz is the obvious choice because of its height, but it wouldn't be that hard to stay in Morzine (for the ambience/apres) and take the bus to Prodains or Ardent to access the higher slopes if necessary. There are lots of transfer companies making access easy.

Flaine would be a good choice too, highish with some north-facing slopes. But you know both Morzine and Flaine, and might reasonably want to explore somewhere different. Chamonix really consists of several small resorts spread along the valley, but there is nothing to stop you choosing one per day and taking the bus (or train). Again well served by transfers, and Chamonix is a proper town with a different ambience from Morzine or Flaine.

If you are happy with a smaller resort where you will be repeating runs you could think of Les Contamines, the only bit of Evasion Mont Blanc that you can bank on pre-Christmas. Evenings it is definitely village rather than town so it depends on what you like. Its other downside is on the transfer front, while there are a few (Flixbus) you are likely to find yourself using a private transfer or renting a car.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I know Morzine is low down was my point. Didn’t appear to have a lot of terrain open when I was there. No skiing back to valley etc and poor conditions. Appreciate I’m in lap of gods with this given early season.

I’d like to actually ski. First and foremost. So am I looking at a long transfer to la Plagne/3V then? Where else is there to consider?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For a short trip from GVA, Les Carroz?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For a short trip from GVA, Les Carroz?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@v1cky24,

If you're happy with long transfers then Val 'disere or Tignes are the places to go.

I spend 4 weeks each year in Val d and therefore I am biased. However I've skied in more than 25 ski resorts in Europe. A limited number of lifts in Tignes opened today.

As I said look at the webcams.

https://www.valdisere.com/en/live/webcams/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you'll need accommodation on Saturday 22nd you will struggle with finding somewhere "in resort", as that's the first night of the very busy Christmas week and providers will be looking to sell the whole week. And many will already have done so. If you're hiring a car from Gva I'd suggest you book a hotel in the valley - somewhere like Sallanches, and then decide "on the day" which resort to visit. Could be that snow all round will be fine - or that you might have to be choosy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No back home on the Saturday (I think 23rd?) weds-Saturday.

I don’t mind a longer transfer but I’m not sure how easy a transfer is? It’s not Saturday-Saturday etc. am I looking at £600 for a taxi Shocked Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@v1cky24,

For transfers to Val d; Tignes use "Snowdrone Transfers". They may also serve other resorts in the Tarentaise Valley (Les Arcs, La Plagne, Les 3 Vallees).

Are you looking for hotels, B&Bs, self catered or catered accommodation? The accommodation may be your main issue.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
v1cky24 wrote:
I know Morzine is low down was my point. Didn’t appear to have a lot of terrain open when I was there. No skiing back to valley etc and poor conditions. Appreciate I’m in lap of gods with this given early season.

I’d like to actually ski. First and foremost. So am I looking at a long transfer to la Plagne/3V then? Where else is there to consider?

Verbier.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Any accommodation is fine. I’ve looked and there are options on Sunweb. It’s more of the transfers if I recall being an issue!
snow conditions
Quote:

Chamonix itself is also very low and the skiing is not interlinked. [yeah, but, almost all the skiing is above 1,900m and frankly, if you can ski yourself out on e.g. the Grands Montets in a week, you're a more easily bored skier than me rolling eyes ]

Flaine and Verbier are also a similar distance from GVA. However Verbier is not as good for piste cruising. [yeah, Verbs is rubbish, that's why it's got such a crap reputation. Wait, what?]

Chamonix (or Verbier) would both work nicely. Lifts aren't running here in Chamonix but a friend (who is a guide and doesn't bother skiing if it's not going to be fun) is skinning up Flégèere today (probably home by now).

And it's easy to get here, Swisstours/Flixbus for scheduled buses, CVT/Mountain Dropoffs for door-door transfers.
latest report
@v1cky24, transfer wise, Chamonix has regular buses as noted above and a healthy transfer infrastructure. Morzine, f'instance definitely has good transfers - c.f. Skiidy Gonzales - not sure about scheduled. Grand Massif also (no recs).

Would add that we would be hoping that we'd have good snow by then - doigts croisées
latest report
@v1cky24, sorry, I got confused about dates. For such a short trip car rental probably cheaper than transfer. But Chamonix and the bus option sounds fine. Probably Bevent/Flegere would be enough for a couple of days?
snow report
Flaine - for that early + short transfer
snow report
I am doing something similar on 1st Jan, have you considered hiring a car rather than transfers? For the length of time you are there it will be less than £250 and means you can maximize your time on the slopes plus try different ski areas very easily.

I will stay in st Gervais but if the snow is poor there I can easily get to Les Contamines or Chamonix, I will probably try all 3.
snow conditions
Geneva car hire seem to have had some significant price cuts recently. I’ve got a VW ID4 4x4 electric car for 3 days for £147 next weekend.
latest report
I've been going to the PdS, staying in Morzine at least once, normally two or thee times a season for the last 10 years, including opening week in 2016, one of the worst starts to a season the locals could remember, when the Pleney home run slope was still a green pasture...but jump the bus to Prodains/gondola up to Avoriaz and the snow and skiing up there were great.

In fact I'll also be flying out on the 20th, heading to Morzine. Return shared private minibus transfers GVA to Morzine are £110pp this year.
snow conditions
Ello ello.

I went to chamonix in the end Very Happy

Thanks for the advice! I will say, first 2 days (21/22 dec) were a bit testing but the opening day skiing le tour is right up there with my best/favourite day of skiing I’ve ever had!!

Now.. hubby is off to flaine Sunday . While I’m stuck home with the kiddos. My mind is turning to 3rd feb and our family trip to L2A
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy