Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drive to Trysil

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi have booked Trysil for a few days at the end of the month.

Has anyone driven there from Oslo airport? Is it quite easy? I usually hire a car abroad so I’m used to driving on the wrong side of the road, just a bit hesitant about snow/ ice.

I was thinking that it might be handy to have a car in resort as I’m staying at the Radisson over the other side.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@munchimo, yes, its a doddle. The roads are well kept and I assume you are renting a car so it should have winter tyres. Both Radissons seem fairly well self contained so a car not essential there but definitely handy if you want to get to town proper rather than stay in resort.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As above, I did this drive in January. Very simple, not alpine at all. You will not have any issue. Trysil is a lovely ski resort stunning sunsets from the top of the mountain, nothing very challenging though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Only been there (3 times) by bus but certainly didn’t look challenging. Pretty decent roads. If you’re staying at park inn there’s a well stocked supermarket there. If at the mountain one we caught a bus into town (it didn’t turn up coming back so maybe not too reliable!!) but there seemed plenty of taxis.

If you change your mind to drive to resort, maybe consider public transport. It was very easy and efficient we thought. Journey time about 2hrs 45. If at touristcentre you do have to hoike your cases across the icy car park though - but you’d have to do that in a car as it drops you in the car park.

https://www.nor-way.no/en/routes/trysilekspressen/#/reise?originId=18650BA5-D24F-4B0D-A98D-300D0E76ACAA&originName=Oslo%20bussterminal&destinationId=879F3515-DF15-4A6E-9AFF-2403D01288DF&destinationName=Turistsenteret%20%28Trysil%29
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, that’s helpful. Does anyone know if the roads have lighting? As I’ll be driving back in the dark.

The reason I thought I might need a car there is apparently the Radisson I booked is on the easy side of the Mountain, and my oldest would probably be better off skiing the other tourist centre side with some harder runs l, and there aren’t so many buses, is that true?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@munchimo, IIRC some of the roads have lighting but not all. But it's a really simple drive and Scandi roads are much better than UK ones.

Trysil isn't a big resort; from the Radisson on the Høyfjellssenteret side you only need to take 1 lift (a short drag) to get to the bottom of the main chairlift on that side. From there, you can go all the way to the top, and then ski down to any part of the mountain. Alternatively you can work your way around the mountain on the transport tracks (gentle but narrow green runs). This is the better option when it's really cold and windy up top.

The runs on the Turistsenteret side aren't much harder though - all the (vaguely) challenging runs are in Høgegga which is between the two.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are two Radisson Hotels - the main one in the tourist centre and then the mountain resort over the back of the mountain.

Like you say the area around the mountain resort is mainly very easy green/blue skiing but you can easily access the rest of the resorts via the lifts. Lots of buttons and t-bars. You can easily take lifts and ski to Hogegga, Tourist centre and the top of the mountain via easy green runs.

The grades are generally pretty soft in Trysil, the most challenging is in Hogegga part of the resort which are genuinely steep 'black' runs - which in reality would be reds in France/Austria/Suisse.

It's a great resort. We headed there in Jan 22 as our first France trip was cancelled due to Covid. We had a great time, no doubt influenced by the fact that we hadn't been skiing since Feb 20 but a great place to ski. It gets busiest at weekends due to the domestic traffic from the greater Oslo area. Mid-week myself and my wife had Hogegga completely to ourself at times and with fresh powder on top of the pistes we had a lots of fun.

Finally, bring lots of layers, it can get very cold, -20C when we were there.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are driving you will pass a decent sized supermarket as you enter Elverum where you can stock up on supplies.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I read the title and was hoping for an epic tale of driving via the tunnel, through France, Belgium, Germany, Denmark and Sweden...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Before it all hit the fan, I was contemplating a visit to St Petersburg and, looking at the map, had wondered about driving. Such a shame to fly across so many interesting places..... By the time that becomes possible I suspect I shall be well past it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I lived in Helsinki in my early 20s and drove to St Pete a few times. Once over the Finnish border you drive through a series of dilapidated cold war era towns, this was in circa 2004 so things may have changed since then. It is an interesting city and Russia has a very different feel to the rest of Europe that it borders.

But back to Trysil....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NoMapNoCompass wrote:
But back to Trysil....

Er….that’s about it. The drive’s a doddle or take the bus. Car’s handy but don’t need it. The resort is a doddle to get around on easy runs.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks so much everyone that’s so helpful! Really excited for the trip. Tbh I’m not a beginner I’ve been skiing for years, but I’m v nervous so I’m delighted to have lots of easy runs Eh oh!

On my second ski trip years ago I went to Oslo and the local ski resort and it was -26! Our snacks froze solid Eh oh!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Trysil TR - https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4953183&highlight=trysil#4953183
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Unless you are self catering (or not half board), or want to explore Trysil town, I wouldn't say you need a car as everything is there in the resort and the best /quickest way from one side to the other is on skis. That said, the drive up is super simple low altitude stuff.

We had a day at -21*C there.

If you're a boozer, stock up at the duty free on arrival
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy