Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Down jacket - wardrobe malfunction/user error?

Poster: A snowHead
Beloved Rab down jacket was washed and died at end of last season - I was not involved in those processes - and I’ve just unpacked it in prep for departing to the Alps next week.
As you can hopefully see from the photo, the down has packed into balls and is no longer uniformly distributed along the quilt pockets…

Any ideas/tips on how to evenly distribute the fluff in the puff?

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dried not died, although ….
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Read second part of this article

https://support-uk.rab.equipment/hc/en-us/articles/360013291597-How-to-wash-a-down-jacket-

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 29-11-22 11:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You could try chucking it back in the wash for a rinse and then back in to the drier with a few tennis balls, or one of those fancy spiky plastic ball things if you happen to have one.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kitenski, @oink, thanks both - there’s a very clear moral illustrated here!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Grinning, up to 5 hours drying time in a dryer appears to be the important bit!! Good luck
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Grinning, if you can get to a laundrette with BIG dryers, that's a bit more effective. I use little rubber bouncing balls, as that was all I could find years ago. My down jacket's been washed probably 10 times?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's a JYSK shop near us that sells "Dryer Balls". They're effectively heavy tennis balls and sold in packs of 3. Low heat setting in a tumble dryer. Should see some improvement but can take a while. (but you get free bongo tunes)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dryer balls work well. My 2 year old’s down jacket got washed quite frequently (cos he’s a messy little chap) and it always puffed up nicely with them
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ordinary tennis balls are ideal - no need to buy anything new.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I use ordinary tennis balls in my tumble drier. I have quite a few quilted/padded gilets as well as ski jackets and sometimes they look very sad and flat after washing but always bounce back into life after bing bong with the tennis balls.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, they do bong around! I tried to avoid doing it when my downstairs lodger is in her room, as it shares a wall with the garage, where the tumble drier lives.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
if you are lucky enought to have a dog in the family, use its ball, kill 2 birds with 1 stone
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Grinning, if you have/have access to a heat pump tumble dryer, they are much kinder to outdoor fabrics as they use only lightly warmed but very low humidity air to do the drying. One of the problems trying to tumble dry down kit is that most of the jacket fabric is bone dry (and therefore heats up a lot in a conventional dryer), long before the down is dry.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've find mine are adequately "fluffed up" after quite a short time in the dryer, then give them a good shake and hang in the warm to finish drying. I think the tennis balls create a huge amount of static, which helps the down to fluff up.
latest report
Looks like an x-ray of a drugs mule's innards.
ski holidays
I have a down gillet that I hand-wash from time to time. When it is dry, it looks like yours. I spend half an hour shaking it and generally agitating it in order to re-puff and re-distribute the down. Works fine for me.
latest report
I'm not sure why down jackets are so popular. My wife has one and she is rightly terrified of getting it wet. I on the other hand have a manmade fibre filled one. It packs almost as small and only weighs a few grams more. On one occaison I dropped when paked in its pocket. It bounced down the mountainside and lodged in a stream with water flowing over it. I Pulled it out of the stream unpacked it, gave it a good shake and put it on. It still retained a fair bit of body heat and was dry in a hour or so.

They are not cheep, perhaps more expensive than some cheep down ones but pretty efficient - see https://rab.equipment/uk/generator-alpine-jacket for example.
snow report
My down things are not skiing things - and I don't wear them out in the rain!!
ski holidays
My wife's jacket is not for skiing either. It and mine are usually refered to as "belay jackets" you wear them while stood at a stance belaying a climber then they pack into your rucksack while actually climbing. They are also very useful as emergency warm clothing and like my waterproof jacket spend almost all their time in a rucksack.
ski holidays
@johnE, https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/down-vs-synthetic.html

Down

Pros
Higher warmth-to-weight ratio than synthetic insulation
Very compressible
Very durable; with proper care, a down sleeping bag or jacket can last for decades
Cons
Loses insulating power when it gets wet and takes a long time to dry
Cleaning down requires special care
Not hypoallergenic (rarely an issue)
More expensive than synthetics

Synthetic

Pros
Very water-resistant and continues to insulate even when wet
Hypoallergenic
Less expensive than down
Cons
Heavier and bulkier than down insulation
Offers less warmth for its weight than down
Less durable than down; insulating power gets reduced each time the bag is stuffed into a stuff sack

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 29-11-22 16:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
oink wrote:
You could try chucking it back in the wash for a rinse and then back in to the drier with a few tennis balls, or one of those fancy spiky plastic ball things if you happen to have one.
This. All of those sorts of jackets need to be dried like that.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
My down things are not skiing things - and I don't wear them out in the rain!!

Yep on the skiing, although many do, inc a mate who lives in the Alps.............

I have a couple of Rab jackets, one duck down, one synthetic down and both Pertex coating - which means I dont "mind" wearing them in rain, but always allow to dry after, preferably in the wind (usually available in Edinburgh !).

I also have a duck down gilet (Alpkit) which again dries outside if poss.

In fact, thinking on it, I have never washed any of my down gear, I am almost certain they wont perform as well after washing.
ski holidays
I washed a couple of my down jackets three weeks ago, both high-end, Jotnar & Elevanate jackets, knowing full well without a dryer I'd have issues, having seen the OH results post wash.

I dried them over a heater and would try and spread the down out with a rolling pin and then stretch pulling the down by hand, I did this every half hour or so.

I also read to hang it out to dry in the cold air which I did, have to say now they are not too bad.

I had to wash mine as when ski touring I get really sweaty even if it's cold, and as soon as arriving at the transition point, the down jacket is the first thing I pull out of my bag and put on, hence, one the Jotnar did start to smell. The Elevanate was bright orange and attracted the grime, I used NIK wax down protector after the NIK tech wash.
ski holidays
Crikey, they do sound a faff. Luckily I eschew such garments on the grounds of not wishing to be mistaken for the Michelin Man. Embarassed
snow report
As others have alluded to-
Put it back in the wash and put some Nikwax tech wash in the washing machine drawer
Dry it again in the tumble dryer. I don’t use tennis balls in mine and all of my puffy items come back out the dryer looking as they should, make sure you don’t overload the dryer.
ski holidays
I have shoved mine and Mr HH's downs in the washing machine on a gentle wash and the hung them on the line to dry several times....never had a problem and never worried about them until I read this! May have to be more careful next time
latest report
I just binned a down sleeping bag after 18 years of sweat, bug repellant, fishing and hunting smells got the better of it. Tried to wash it and it was no good after. But 18 years of regular use was impressive. If the new one lasts as long I can probably be cremated in it.

Personally I always use a synthetic for anything involving getting sweaty. So much better. My favourite is a Montane Prism Ultra, really light and small pack size for the warmth.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
An excellent tip for re-puffing down jackets is to have them in your hand luggage when you fly. air pressure in the cabin blows them up beautifully.

If you're as boringly fastidious as I am when it comes to cleaning and prepping kit, I've always found that the Granger's down care kit (link below) is dead good, but this relies on your having a tumble dryer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grangers-Repel-300ml-Perfect-Jackets/dp/B07DNCMWSH?th=1&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy