Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Finland is open -- Oct 6 2023

Poster: A snowHead
European season is go.

Levi, Finland, opened on Oct 6, 2023.

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmmm side piste isn't too re-assuring

I wanted to go after Christmas this year but didn't pull the trigger quick enough and flights are now silly. Love the idea of skiing in the low light.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Going here for Christmas this year can’t wait! I’ve been informed there is effectively no daylight at the time of year so I’m a little apprehensive on that front but will hopefully make up for it with slope side cooking huts and husky rides!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Floodlit skiing in the dark is definitely overrated, give me a nice long sunny (but cool) day in March anyday! Cool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"Farmed" snow from last year I guess...looks amazing, night skiing rules!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ruka opened at the weekend too, using farmed snow.. However it then snowed on Saturday and covered the rest of the area.. more due on Wednesday..
As for the light situation.. I found the visibility better under floodlit than during the day last year Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
javindo wrote:
Going here for Christmas this year can’t wait! I’ve been informed there is effectively no daylight at the time of year so I’m a little apprehensive on that front but will hopefully make up for it with slope side cooking huts and husky rides!

Take vitamin d pills
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We have been to Levi for the last few years and absolutely love it. Aside from skiing, as you can imagine there is so much to do. Hiring a snow mobile is like hiring a car and off you go.

Skiing wise, being in the dark all the time is great fun, never any issue with flat light days skiing under flood lights.

Off piste by head torch it great fun too when you know the area, as is the tree skiing to the side of the piste.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Floodlit skiing in the dark is definitely overrated

I agree. Tried it once, when I was young and really keen. It was cold and weird. Never bothered again. If you don't care what's around you, Hemel Hemstead has a lot to recommend it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Floodlights aside I see it as a win that I was able to essentially sneak in an extra ski week with my better half this year by framing it as Christmas in Lapland snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
javindo wrote:

We were in Ruka last new year. The proper daytime is only a few hours long, but the twilight either side is much longer than you get in non-Arctic parts, and with the floodlights as well, quite a lot of the day could be better described as 'a bit gloomy', rather than night time. I didn't feel like the floodlit skiing was all that different to the daylight skiing, maybe because the change from day to night was so gradual.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Norway (Norefjell) opens its first 2023-24 ski resort this weekend.

And has ~30cm of fresh.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Way south in Helsinki the sun kind of pops over the low hills in the middle of the day, so sometimes it's a bit better than just floodlights - all day gloaming with a sunrise and set as bonuses. The restaurant at "the Mountains of Serena" (Finnish joke) was in a cave, so it was pretty dark in there too. This below is a promotional video, not mostly how it actually is and not current conditions. This is their Hemel, really:

http://youtube.com/v/-3MyhJPDHFg&t=1s
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is it good powder skiing in Finland or not much different to the Alps?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Levi averages only around 100-150cm of snowfall per season.

Powda is rare.

European Alps typically get 200-700cm per season.

Northern Japan and Western US get 500-2000cm per season.
snow conditions
Ah that's a shame, seems a nice holiday though
latest report
@archors, haven't been up there before, but get the impression that it's a very different holiday to an Alps trip. Smaller ski areas, but lots of off slope activities to have a go at too.
ski holidays
I'd agree that proper powder is rare in Lapland but in general the snow quality is much better than the Alps. It generally stays below zero so there is little melt so icy slopes are quite rare. You can get a bit blown hard pack on the tops though. Slushy moguls are also a rare sight in Lapland unless your skiing in April...

Yes it is a very different holiday to the Alps and as said above there are lots of other things to do e.g. reindeer rides, husky safaris, snowmobiling, walking across frozen lakes, ice fishing etc.

Lapland is also probably one of the best places in Europe to cross country ski - the network is huge, goes through some amazing scenery, is well maintained and is also completely free to use.
latest report
Also, the snow situation in Levi is looking very good already this year - and much better than the photo at the top of this thread. https://www.levi.fi/en/ski/slopes-and-liftsThe airport in Kittilä is reporting 29cm of snow and from the webcams it looks very white - https://www.levi.fi/en/ski/slopes-and-lifts

The fronts slopes are open and also the south chair lift and the long flood lit blue (8.4) has been open the past week. It also looks like the west slopes and the easier Gondoli slopes will open next week. More info here: https://www.levi.fi/en/ski/slopes-and-lifts

The women's FIS slalom is also on this weekend (11th - 12th Nov) in Levi on the G2 slope . you can see the stands being built on the webcam at the moment Smile
snow report
The entire snowscape looked amazing, on Eurosport as Mikaela Shiffrin clocked up WC win 89.
ski holidays
Mikaela Shiffrin is looking very much 2nd best this season and even herself looked embarrassed to have taken that win, with Vlhova on course to beat her by full second
snow report
peanuthead wrote:
Mikaela Shiffrin is looking very much 2nd best this season and even herself looked embarrassed to have taken that win, with Vlhova on course to beat her by full second

No. Shiffrin wins again snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy