Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car rental size for skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The cost of renting cars is really eye-watering compared to before the pandemic. Trying to work out the best size to fit two adults and 184cm length skis. I got upgraded last time so never worked out whether a small hatchback (Polo/206 size) would work. Skis can come out of the carrying back to reduce bulk in the car. We have a 4 hour drive from Geneva so would rather not have the skis sticking out the side window. Any advice? What have you done? Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whatever you rent, there's no guarantee you'll get it. I once rented a car which would fit in a wheelchair (for my mother). We were given one which wouldn't - same category, so no recourse. In the end we managed, but it was a pain. Good luck! You can get (maybe hire) magnetic rack things to stick on the roof.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tradstyle, Economy (/ second smallest size) has always been sufficient for us, as long as at least one of the rear seats folds down. I think the cars you have listed above would fit into that category. Skis carried parallel to direction of travel in the middle of the car, with the tips level with the gap between the two front seats.

We now take a canvas ski bag with us to stop the skis muddying or scratching the interior of the car, though bin bags would be the low-tech option!

Mini (/ the smallest car size) is not usually big enough. There is usually only a tiny difference in price between the two categories.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We’re in a Fabia this weekend and 175s fit easily with the tips just level with your elbow.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tradstyle wrote:
The cost of renting cars is really eye-watering compared to before the pandemic. Trying to work out the best size to fit two adults and 184cm length skis. I got upgraded last time so never worked out whether a small hatchback (Polo/206 size) would work. Skis can come out of the carrying back to reduce bulk in the car. We have a 4 hour drive from Geneva so would rather not have the skis sticking out the side window. Any advice? What have you done? Thanks!

We regularly got 2 pairs of 197cm skis (in the good old days of long skis...) in our mini Very Happy.

We used to recline the passenger seat and put the skibag on that, with the passenger in the back Very Happy.

4 of us have also hired Corsa/Polo-sized cars abroad many times and fitted in 2 double ski bags - down the centre of the car and resting on the parcel shelf at one end and dashboard at the other. Very Happy .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you all, that is very helpful! It makes the rental price massively more manageable.

I have heard about the magnetic ski racks, but will have a look into it to learn more about that. It would depend on their weight.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Tradstyle, rental prices at uk airports have dropped about 60% in recent weeks … wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, thanks, I was just seeing that (for Geneva). This summer, I ended up driving to Corsica and Italy and despite fuel and peages, it was a saving of £1,500. Corsica wanted just that amount for 10 days in car rental, never mind Italy on top plus flights/ferries. Looks like the economy size cars in Geneva are at about £250-£280 for a week in January which works!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Tradstyle, still pricier than pre-crise but moving in the right direction
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@Tradstyle, still pricier than pre-crise but moving in the right direction

If the price is moving downwards, book now but with a free cancellation option, and then price check closer to your travel date. Re-book if it makes sense – we did this in August and saved about €200 on a week's hire.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’ve just rented a car in Japan for a couple of weeks in February. Need a 4wd. All I could get with 4wd was a k car Very Happy 600cc motor and really not very big. I also suspect from the photos online that it’s bright pink.

two of us, 4 snowboards plus luggage. Could be interesting. And I’m 6’2”.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In the past, we fitted 4 people with large holdalls/2 boot bags/2 sets of straight skis (195/170)/hand luggage -into a Renault 5 Turbo.

The person in the Long Term parking facility at Belfast Airport (responsible for taking your car to park), was left scratching his head in amazement, as he witnessed so much luggage and people exit from this Tardis on wheels.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We just wrap the skis in an old towel, have them between the two front seats and into the boot. All depends on the type of split folding rear seat and how much other stuff/people is in the car!

And booking is a bit of a lottery with what you'll get. I once booked a 5 door large hatchback as needed to move my step mum about to and from hospital to see my dad. She has mobility issues...so was well chuffed when they gave me a 3 door convertible Fiat 500. It was an out of hours pick up, so had no choice to take it....and it was December.....so couldn't even have the roof down!

But then the other year, booked a 3 door small hatchback for just me and the OH. Got a brand new top of the range ST Ford Focus Estate.....go figure!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Tradstyle, Two more options:

1) Passenger gets in, then skis go down the side of the car between their seat and the door. I prefer this to the skis-down-the-middle option, where they have a habit of interfering with things like the handbrake and gear lever.

2) Handirack - inflatable ski rack that you bring out with you. I have one and it's great, tho' I wouldn't want to drive a long way at high speed on the motorway using it, mine is mainly for carting wet skis around resort.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snowdave, Option 1 is a good idea, we will play around with that or down the middle. If it is an automatic, then not so big a deal, but if a stick, I agree that it could interfere.

Option 2 is probably not a good plan as we will be driving from Geneva to Vallouise (4 hours) and then going to different resorts, depending on the snow conditions. This said, I will research the magnetic/inflatable options if only to know more about them as they certainly have their place.

@Fridge03, when BA lost my luggage in March and the rental desk was then closed resulting in an impromptu night at the hotel, the car rental person took pity on us and upgraded us to a bells and whistles 5008 with about 3000 km on it which was a really pick me up after the preceding 15 hours Very Happy .
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy