Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Solo Trip Val D'Isere or Verbier?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I have been here. I am planning a last-minute short solo trip for the new year week (Monday - Friday, with 3 days skiing) but this is my first time skiing solo so I could use some advice. I have skied Val D'Isere twice and 3V a few times. I am a very average skier, last year in Val I was skiing blues most of the week and the odd red. For the trip, I am looking at Val D'Isere again or Verbier but I was a bit concerned I may not be a strong enough skier for Verbier based on some of the posts I have been reading. I would love to hear people's thoughts.

Cheers
Mark
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@sparky2003752, There are better choices than Verbier for piste skiing. 3V or Val d’Isere would be obvious choices. Zermatt / Cervinia another high altitude option.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@BobinCH, thanks for the quick reply. I had looked at Zermatt but was working out very expensive for a short trip. The only reason I was considering Verbier was because there was a good deal on and close to Geneva. I think you are right though, I may stick to the usual spots for the short trip and look at other options for late Feb.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sparky2003752, What do you count as "Verbier"? Maybe stay in Veysonnaz and ski there and around Thyon.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Where are you flying into?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rjs wrote:
@sparky2003752, What do you count as "Verbier"? Maybe stay in Veysonnaz and ski there and around Thyon.

Too low. There’s a heatwave at the moment
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, the criticism often levelled at Verbier is that unless you're an off-piste skier, the terrain is consistently intermediate. Personally, I've skied the 3 Vallées and I'd say that it's not generally any easier or harder than Verbier, on piste. Many of the main pistes in Verbier provide small 'by-pass' segment that take you past the steeper sections of the red runs: they aren't blues, just lesser reds. And as mentioned, you might consider a satellite of the Verbier hub like La Tzoumaz, whose main positive will be that it's north-facing so for a piste-only skier, the snw will be better preserved. But that would give you only about 50kms of ski area - which might not be enough for more than a couple of days, at which point you'd want to go higher up in Verbier.

I wonder if, at the moment, the north-facing thing might be a more important criteria, given the warm conditions and there may be other resorts you already know that have that profile.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Any chance you could postpone your trip a bit, given the ghastly weather in much of the Alps, especially the French alps and nearby, at the moment? Although the highest places obviously still have some good skiing they are likely to be crowded and accommodation hard to find.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pam w, I'd assume accom and crowding won't be an issue from Tuesday onwards, very low season IMHO
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy