Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner budget resort recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
We are a group of four guys, 2 snowboarder's, 2 skier's (one beginner of each).
Aiming to the french north Alps, already booked flights to Geneva (4-11th fev), this is a budget ski trip, so we are looking for a resort were we can enjoy 6 days of ski, some apres and have some lessons also.
So far we have been looking to Portes du Soleil (base: Chatel/Linga) and Grand Massif (base: Samoens).

- For Chatel is better have classes in Super Chatel or Pra-la-Joux?
    - Any big difference between both?
    - Any additional base/destination/resort to have in consideration?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's the first week of the French school holidays, so you might struggle for "budget" in the northern French Alps. Might be worth considering Italy which is accessible from GVA, or changing dates?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

already booked flights to Geneva (4-11th fev)

Hmm. French school holidays. Accommodation will be expensive and the slopes might be crowded. Could you do the previous week?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pnag,

If you can get it in budget, then Flaine village would make more sense for the group of mixed skills.

Immediate piste surrounding with excellent progression slopes right from top lift to bring on beginners, it's by far the easiest to use for a week like that.

Also just a little further into the mountains to have day trippers less the part of total skiers crowd wise (Samöens, Morillon and Les Carroz are easier to reach from casual skiers turning up ad hoc) with at least three decent lifts straight up the mountain from village location.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Samoens village is a schlep to the skiing - pretty place, but I agree Flaine would be a lot easier. Will your beginners have group lessons?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Will your beginners have group lessons?

Yes. We are planning to all have group lessons for our different skills

Quote:

That's the first week of the French school holidays, so you might struggle for "budget" in the northern French Alps. Might be worth considering Italy which is accessible from GVA, or changing dates?

Already booked the flights. Also do not have availability to go the week before.
Probably Italy from GVA will increase the costs for transfers Sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To be honest, there is only one French region on holiday that week (two the following week). And it's not the one that includes Paris. So with luck it won't have too bad an effect on prices and ski schools. With the flights already booked, I am not sure advice to go the previous week is that helpful. The week should have plenty of decent snow everywhere.

With half the group beginners, you don't need to be too fussy about resorts though I wouldn't suggest Chamonix which majors on the more expert end of the market. More important on a budget will be the availability and cost of transfers. So create a long-list of possibles and start looking for suitable self-catering bookings - and when you find something you like, book it. And then get the lesson bookings, they fill up in half term weeks.

If you haven't experienced French self-catering, do beware of the advertised apartment capacity - you may find yourself with the smallest of shoe boxes with bunks in the hallway (not that bad) and some form of sofabed (probably not ideal). And if you find yourself with a choice of possibilities, go for somewhere with easy access to the ski school meeting place plus walking distance to the village centre.

I have personally never stayed in either Chatel or Samoens, and others can provide specific advice. However you are unlikely to need the full extent of Porte du Soleil - but transfers would be easily found to Lets Gets or Morzine, not so sure about Chatel. There are other possible satellites of Grand Massif as well as Flaine itself, though check transfers before booking. Other possibilities within easy reach of Geneva are La Clusaz, St Gervais and possibly Les Contamines (less choice of economical transfers).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OK, if you can't change the dates and don't want the longer transfer times, then you can pick up some cheaper accommodation but you'll need to compromise. Generally speaking, if you're on a budget you'll need to pick what's more important... space or closeness to the piste. But don't just think you need to be close if you want the apres. For example, Les Gets have just launched a free night shuttle which means you can stay out until late but still get a quick bus back to the further out accomodation.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
UCPA (booked through Action Outdoors if you're UK based) might suit your group's requirements. They have a centre in Flaine.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Based on your list, and assuming dates can't be moved to avoid the first week of French holidays....then the PDS or Grand Massif would be good options. But I wouldn't stay in Chatel or Samoens.
For the PDS I'd look at Avoriaz or Morzine. Avoriaz is ski in/out so better experience for your beginners! Both would be better for some apres than Chatel. And better access to the wider area of the PDS.
And I'd look at Flaine for the Grand Massif for very much the same reasons as above.

As for other options.....
Wanting to keep the price down unfortunately rules out Switzerland. And Geneva makes Italy more tricky with the transfer (unless hiring a car) but still doable. If you weren't too bothered about a bit of a further drive, then maybe Sauze could work for you.

I'd avoid Chamonix as it's too spread out.

Val Thoren/Les Men would have some more budget options and ski in/out. And good apres.

L2A and ADH are doable but obviously twice the journey time as PDS or Grand Massif. But would be ski in/out, decent apres and more budget friendly.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
with four of you renting a car could be a good decision, and gives you more choice.

I realised that recommending the week before doesn't look very helpful but if you can find cheapish flights you might find that the cheaper accommodation (and often cheaper ski school too, and increasingly this year cheaper lift passes) compensates for the lost flights. Or your airline might not charge a huge penalty for a switch. It all depends..........
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Like @j b I've never stayed in Chatel, only transited through it doing one variation of the circuit or another and it comes across as more a family than apres resort.

For your group in the PdS I'd probably say Morzine's a better base, with Morzine lessons/lift passes for the beginners and maybe full area passes if the other 2 of you are going to want to hit some big miles and just see them at the end of the day.

Your groups should also be fine not being too central for accomodation - adults should be able to walk 1km without complaning too much, or further if you stop for a beer part way Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

adults should be able to walk 1km without complaning too much

A beginner in ski boots will complain - I'd certainly complain!! Some Morzine places are a schlep. And if snow is a bit scarce this Christmas, somewhere higher might be better.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, the ski shop I rent from just over the hill in Les Gets has free boot and ski storage overnight, and is right opposite the main lifts. No schlepping in ski boots for me! I suspect there are places in Morzine that so similar.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, if you can sort that out, a walk in comfortable boots makes a good start to the day.
snow report
Quote:

Yes, but only Group A are on holiday that week (Besançon, Bordeaux, Clermont-Ferrand, Dijon, Grenoble, Limoges, Lyon, and Poitiers are in Zone A) It could be a lot worse such as 2 weeks later.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy