Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Afternoon lessons for kids

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

We're off to Tignes Le Lac for Feb halfterm 11th Feb, yes i know.... And as it turns out already too late to book morning group lessons for our 2 boys ( 6 and 7)! Have tried ALL the schools, Ultimate, Evo, Supreme, Bass, newgen, pds, progression, skicool. Waiting to hear back from prelim booking with Oxygene, but am assuming they'll say they have no spaces... Not hugely keen for ESF or ESI...ESF do a lunch time group up to 6 kids but its only 2hrs long.. And most of these companies also dont have private lessons avail either.

Evo still has afternoon lessons available , 2 till 5, just wondering if people have experience with kids and afternoon lesson and if its super annoying/ kids shattered? I know last yr ours were exhausted by 2 or 3ish after their morning lessons. Obviously we wouldn't go hard in the morning with them but could be quite annoying logistics to do other stuff around Tignes?

Any thoughts appreciated!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I mean or we could stop being over concerned and book ESF Tignes le lac morning lessons!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
noodlehat wrote:
I mean or we could stop being over concerned and book ESF Tignes le lac morning lessons!

Do this or just have a lie in and take it easy in the mornings, after all its a holiday too wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We did afternoon lessons for the kids a couple of years ago after hitting the same issue, and it actually worked pretty well. You control the pace of your morning, hit an early lunch which if your kids are anything like mine, will get wolfed down, then off in time to get to the lesson meeting point. We'd then have the afternoon to ourselves in time for pick-up, and the kids wanting more food.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In Austria, most skischool for kids is both morning and afternoon, usually 2 hours in each, the kids seem to cope well with it, and usually up for a bit more skiing when they finish.

Unless you are skiing like it's some military training exercise in the morning they'll be fine with lessons in the afternoon. It will make organizing things in the morning a lot more relaxed too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, take the easy route of NOT having to get everybody up and kitted up early in the morning. Afternoon lessons should be fine. But if you are wedded to your morning routine, go for the ESF or ESI. Either way, it's not really a biggie - you always knew you would be on holiday on one of the most crowded weeks of the year. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@noodlehat, you know your kids best - do they get tired later in the day, or will a slow start suit them? Just as a counterpoint to the (lucky parents whose) kids do fine in the afternoon, mini_mg was very much a morning girl, and always woke up early irrespective of what she was doing or when she went to bed. So morning lessons were a must, and ESF (in various resorts) were fine for her. She was sometimes in a minority as a non-French speaker, but the instructors always spoke to her in English and took her needs into account. Personally, if you can make the times work I think the lunchtime ESF option would be good: small group, and the slopes will be quieter because most people will be having lunch. So it's a great time to be skiing, especially in peak periods. But it would limit what you can do/how far you can go outside of lessons so you'd need to be OK with that compromise.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
we had the same debate with ourselves for Feb half term and I was quite determined that afternoon lessons would be the best and prevent irritation trying to get out out early but not all companies did afternoon ones, and those that did they seemed to finish about 5.30 which seemed quite late. In the end we went with morning figuring that whilst it might be a hassle to get out at least they'll (hopefully) be keen to get going vs 'I've had enough now, can we go swimming' before a 2.30 start. I do wish they started at 930 rather than 9 though as I suspect some tough love will be required !
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

they seemed to finish about 5.30 which seemed quite late.

Yes, it is!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks all for your comments. Oxygene surprisingly after all have managed to fit them in morning lessons. I can definitely see the attraction of afternoon lessons but as @janed9388, says it turns into quite a late finish! Afternoon might be an option as the boys gets older and less likely to fall apart in the afternoons!

We'll be in Tignes Le Lac that week of the 11th if any other snowheads around!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
another plus is getting to the apres ski a little earlier with morning sessions - It's been a long time since I went skiing and I suspect I'll be done in by the afternoon too. Toofy Grin we'll be in Arc 1800
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My friends are (meant to be) looking at this too, with generally a choice of 2hr morning/2hr lunch/2.5hr afternoon lessons.

Morning Lessons (09:00 - 11:00)
+ The children are fresh and about as attentive as they get for their lesson, so get the most out of it. You can then ski till they get bored/tired/melt down after lunch.
+ Gives parents a chance to see some fresh-ish snow.
- You have the fight to get them up/fed/dressed/out the house/to ski school.

Lunch Lessons (11:15 - 13:15)
+ In theory less of a morning fight (or just a delayed fight?) to get peopel to ski school on time.
+ Given parents some 'empty slope' time while everyone else is at lunch.
- Do you early lunch (very close after breakfast) or late lunch (with possible sugar crash mid-lesson)?

Afternoon Lessons (15:00 - 17:30)
+ Often the longest session for the same cost and easy to spread breakfast/early lunch/get to lesson on time.
+ Provided ski school collection's 'in town' parents can be sat drinking vin chaud while waiting for children to return.
- Lot of wasted time for beginners on day 1.
- Risk of doing too much independent skiing in the morning so dropping tired children off for their lesson.
- While you get an extra 30min they tend to end quite late/after many of us would have already completed our last run of the day.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My 4 year old did a mix of morning, lunch and late lessons last season as I didn't prebook anything due to the covid restrictions not knowing exactly when we would be there and that is what we were able to grab in resort last minute, he seemed to cope fine with all times and it was good to be able to do different things at different times. I did wonder if he would be too tired for the later ones, but he was ok even with doing a few things in the mornings and by then there was noone else on the beginner lifts at all, so he had the whole place to himself.

This year we are there for 10 ski days, I've booked him 2 mornings, then 2 lates in case he is shattered and needs to sleep a bit later (can guarantee it won't be those 2 days he wants to sleep now I'm sure!), then a morning, then a day off lessons but he will likely ski with us, then 3 more mornings and finally a day off to ski as we please. I only had the choice of mornings or lates all the lunch sessions were booked with his preferred instructor.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy