Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva airport to samoens

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking at a few days in samoens mid march for a few days, there seems to be a remarkably low number of affordable transport options compared to say Chamonix, which has alpybus etc.

Everywhere I look it's a minibus ride at at least a hundred euros.

What's the best option?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go Massif about 65 euro pp each way, depending on what day of the week/time of day you arrive.

Or train to Annemasse, then bus to Samoens. About £30pp each way

Or train to Cluses, then bus from there. Again about £30
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Train from Annemasse then bus to Samoens is way cheaper than £30.

Train from GVA station to Annemasse is 4.90 Swiss francs.
Bus from Annemasse to Samoens is 6 euros or 8 in the unlikely event you get charged for luggage.

Book the train online at SBB. Don't buy at the station as you could be asked for higher fares. I nearly did it at Annemasse until someone pointed me to a different machine.

Bus Station is about a 90sec walk from Station exit and can be seen from the exit.

It takes about 90mins all up but there are not many buses so take care with arrival times at GVA.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ian999 wrote:
Train from Annemasse then bus to Samoens is way cheaper than £30.

Train from GVA station to Annemasse is 4.90 Swiss francs.
Bus from Annemasse to Samoens is 6 euros or 8 in the unlikely event you get charged for luggage.

Book the train online at SBB. Don't buy at the station as you could be asked for higher fares. I nearly did it at Annemasse until someone pointed me to a different machine.

Bus Station is about a 90sec walk from Station exit and can be seen from the exit.

It takes about 90mins all up but there are not many buses so take care with arrival times at GVA.

Great yes this looks good, although I'm struggling to see what the final bus is! My flight gets in at 1555, so realistically it would mean a 5pm bus to annmasse.

I eventually found a timetable below, although I can't quite make out when the last bus from annmasse is, any ideas?

https://www.agilbus.fr/jacquet
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mrmeaner, PDFs here: https://jacquet-autocars.com/lignes-regulieres/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mrmeaner, you want the Y02 bus

https://jacquet-autocars.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/JACQUET_FH_Y02-003-1.pdf

last bus on a Saturday or Sunday is 18:15. Weekday it departs a little later.

There are more frequent options from Cluses (Y94), but you might struggle to get there in time for the last bus.

And yes, it's quite a bit cheaper than i first stated.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
normally 17.30 and 18.30 ish that goes through town and then onto Sixt via Les Vallons. Also one at 18.00 that finishes at the tourist office.

Its a train to Annemasse! there are about 4 an hour into Geneva centre and takes seven minutes. Plenty of trains to Annemasse where you have to change (its easy) and takes 20 mins.

Assuming no lateness/hold ups at passports or luggage then you should be okay for one of the buses.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
j b wrote:
@Mrmeaner, PDFs here: https://jacquet-autocars.com/lignes-regulieres/

Yes i found this before although it's not that easy to read! According to that PDF the last bus from annemasse on a thursday is 1840? I tried to paste a screenshot but it doesnt seem to work.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, that is the way I read it. You can probably imagine the actual physical timetable (you can pick one up on the bus) is long and thin and folds back on itself twice. All the timetables for "official" (regulated) buses look like that, at least in the Haute Savoie.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
j b wrote:
Yes, that is the way I read it. You can probably imagine the actual physical timetable (you can pick one up on the bus) is long and thin and folds back on itself twice. All the timetables for "official" (regulated) buses look like that, at least in the Haute Savoie.

Is it slightly easier to get to la clusaz do you think? I'm just weighing up options inc. snow reliability on 16th march, both resorts seem like they'd be similar, although samoens has access to flaine.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mrmeaner wrote:
j b wrote:

Is it slightly easier to get to la clusaz do you think? I'm just weighing up options inc. snow reliability on 16th march, both resorts seem like they'd be similar, although samoens has access to flaine.

For La Clusaz, you want this bus. https://www.aravis-shuttle.com/ I think there are 5 of 6 per day in each direction. I did it about 4 years ago. Was very straight forward.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You could also do other side of Grand Massif from Cluses. (Les Carroz closest lifts).

@ian999 is right, though, if you want to go to Samoens.

That said, the train from GVA to anywhere but Annemasse, which is a spur, is really slow.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pasigal wrote:
You could also do other side of Grand Massif from Cluses. (Les Carroz closest lifts).

@ian999 is right, though, if you want to go to Samoens.

That said, the train from GVA to anywhere but Annemasse, which is a spur, is really slow.

I had a provisional booked in carroz although it looked a little quiet. I want somwhere with a few bars. Is grand massif generally more reliable that time of year?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mrmeaner, Samoens is part of Grand Massif. https://www.grand-massif.com/votre-destination/domaine-skiable/stations-de-ski/

The area is basically a ridge, with Samoens/Morillon at the base of the northeast side (and the lowest altitude), then Araches/Les Carroz on the south or southwest side. Flaine is at the head of the ridge, at the highest altitude.

If you want a few bars, Samoens has some but it's in a valley so flat. Les Carroz is a proper ski town -- I kind of like it -- but more family friendly.

As for snow, there should be enough at that point.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy