Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy ski insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there I have always taken out winter sports insurance with my travel insurance for skiing. I now see Italy have a rule about 3rd party/liability insurance as a necessity. Isn’t this covered with your regular winter sports insurance? It’s nothing new? I’m Asking as when I go to buy a ski pass they try to charge you a premium for insurance…but surely I already have it covered with my winter sports insurance. I don’t want to be forking out insurance when I actually already have it!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Clairey1975, No need to pay extra - all Wintersports insurance include 3rd party liability
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Clairey1975, but not always...check the wording. One of my policies didn't cover liability when tobogganing. Not an issue for me but don't assume
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
make sure check your insurance properly!!!
ive returned early from Austria where a young lad wiped me out! ruptured tendon, the costs are huge! police are called by the rescue team! the lad get up and pretty much did a runner. but legal claims are on the rise!
my best mate also in Austria had to be helicoptered to hospital which cost 7.5K alone.
ski carefully
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Skitothetop wrote:
make sure check your insurance properly!!!
ive returned early from Austria where a young lad wiped me out! ruptured tendon, the costs are huge! police are called by the rescue team! the lad get up and pretty much did a runner. but legal claims are on the rise!
my best mate also in Austria had to be helicoptered to hospital which cost 7.5K alone.
ski carefully

Just shows the difference between countries. I was helicoptered off last March in Italy &, although I’m not sure whether it was the piste rescue bit or the GHIC bit, it didn’t ‘cost’ anything else. Piste rescue worked out at £168 which my insurance paid out without issue.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yea its one of those things that can easily be overlooked and often doesn't get noticed until you need it.
Ski as carefully as possible and hopefully it you will never need it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
there is an element of double cover on the 3rd party liability. However often the "€3 per day with the ski pass insurance" means if you need to be rescued / helicoptered / stretchered etc from the piste, your pass is scanned and you're on your way, otherwise you're getting your credit card out (assuming you can move your arms to reach it) and claiming it back later off the insurance company.

whilst its a bit irking, €20 on top of a £1000 ski holiday, its probably worth just saying "yes with insurance".
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@t44tomo, do the piste patrol have the technology on them to scan lift passes? And do you have first hand experience of confirming payment arrangements being prioritised over casualty care?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
t44tomo wrote:
there is an element of double cover on the 3rd party liability. However often the "€3 per day with the ski pass insurance" means if you need to be rescued / helicoptered / stretchered etc from the piste, your pass is scanned and you're on your way, otherwise you're getting your credit card out (assuming you can move your arms to reach it) and claiming it back later off the insurance company.

whilst its a bit irking, €20 on top of a £1000 ski holiday, its probably worth just saying "yes with insurance".

I’ve been rescued by piste patrol 3 times over the years (yes I know rolling eyes ). Twice in Les Arcs & once in Pila. None of these involved being forced to get my credit card out at any stage prior to help/rescue (1 x skidoo ride / 1 x body bag/ambulance & 1 x body bag/helicopter). They asked if I had the cover, I said no. My full details were taken & I was either given or emailed an invoice for settlement. My only reason for not buying the extra insurance is that we’ve never been offered it when purchasing the lift pass as part of a package (Crystal/Inghams).

We’re off skiing next month, back to Pila (to put a few ghosts to rest) so will pop to the lift pass office & enquire about adding the Snowcare bit on as an extra if they do it that way.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chuckles3 wrote:

We’re off skiing next month, back to Pila (to put a few ghosts to rest) so will pop to the lift pass office & enquire about adding the Snowcare bit on as an extra if they do it that way.

I would be interested to know if there is any issue adding it to a Lift Pass that has already been purchased (and not used). It's no problem with Carre Neige.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@t44tomo, do the piste patrol have the technology on them to scan lift passes? And do you have first hand experience of confirming payment arrangements being prioritised over casualty care?

fortunately not needed piste patrol so far in life, and as you correctly detected there was an element of dramatisation.... but the point is a valid one, if the worst happens you want the remedy to be as smooth as possible and €20 on the cost of ski holiday is a fart on the breeze. Ditto no point having you GHIC card in your suitcase, keep it in your wallet.

interestingly we went to Via Lattea & Aosta valley in 2020 and there wasn't a "with insurance option", but there was in Via Lattea in Jan 23 just gone. However the infrastructure has changed hands in 2022 which may or may not be relevant, or it maybe a new Italian law requiring the 3rd party insurance.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 14-02-23 18:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Old Fartbag wrote:
Chuckles3 wrote:

I would be interested to know if there is any issue adding it to a Lift Pass that has already been purchased (and not used). It's no problem with Carre Neige.

I shall report back with my success or failure.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chuckles3 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
Chuckles3 wrote:

I shall report back with my success or failure.

Many thanks.

Hopefully the same will apply in Gressoney.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I don’t want to be forking out insurance when I actually already have it!

Personally I don't have a problem with "forking out" the price of a cup of coffee and when it hits the fan, that local insurance can be very useful, even if you have belt and braces. It's particularly useful for getting you off the hill "no questions asked" whereas because some resorts have had problems recovering substantial rescue costs from insurance companies in distant countries, you can sometimes be asked for cash up front. Quite a few people do take the risk of going without insurance and will try to blag it - you can't blame resorts for being cautious.
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
Chuckles3 wrote:

I have just been looking at the Dolomitisuperski site and that states

"..Snowcare is the most known ski and snowboard insurance in Europe the only insurance policy for injury and third party liability (RC) for ski and snowboard that you can also buy for only one day.
The Snowcare insurance takes care of yourself and protects you for damage to others.
For more info visit our insurance partner website.

Already purchased your ticket but don't have insurance?
You can purchase it directly online in one click here:...."

and the link takes you here

https://www.24hassistance.com/snowcare#/

It is in Italian, but if you click through it changes the English
snow conditions
Someone asked about technology to scan passes. IME in France, technology is irrelevant. Passed bought with insurance have an "A" on them and if you buy separately you are told to keep the paper receipt with the pass.
ski holidays
@albob, Thank you....but I wonder if you can buy it "Indirectly" through the L/Pass office, like with Carre Neige (as Pam says - by keeping the receipt)?
latest report
@albob, Thanks for the link. Will purchase before our visit. Saves yomping up the hill to the office when we get there or first thing on the Monday before we ski.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Someone asked about technology to scan passes. IME in France, technology is irrelevant. Passed bought with insurance have an "A" on them and if you buy separately you are told to keep the paper receipt with the pass.

Yes, I was under the impression that you often need to carry the receipt with you. I was asking as I was concerned that someone confidently talking about passes being scanned might mislead people into thinking they didn't need to carry the receipt.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy