Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

F@@@ing BA

Poster: A snowHead
5 pm tonight, just got message that our Lyon flights on Saturday have been cancelled.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That’s going to cost them a few bob in compo. I hope you find something else. But I wonder if it’s to do with fuel shortages at some French airports due to the strikes. That said they could load enough fuel for both legs for a Lyon trip, even Edinburgh or Glasgow is only a couple of hours each way.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They have to find you an alternative flight.

https://www.caa.co.uk/passengers/resolving-travel-problems/delays-and-cancellations/cancellations/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No capacity on the same route that day.
Do you get compensation on top of a refund with such notice?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowhound, It does not have to be the same route. They need to find alternate flights, regardless of whether they are via another airport or require a change of plane or a different airline. And they are responsible for any extra costs involved in that alternate. Where were you flying from originally?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helpline said it was because of industrial action in France. They could have flown us to Geneva, but that's not much good when you're flying back from Lyon (they couldn't change the return to come back from Geneva) and you're hiring a car.
Cancelled and got new flights with Easyjet for the same days. Actually cheaper than the original flights....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@snowhound, I think BA will have to pay for the new flights

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 24-03-23 0:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@snowhound, Sounds like a good outcome! Note you can choose EITHER a refund or for the airline to pay for alternate flights. In this case as the alternates are cheaper you are better taking the refund.

You should check if you are entitled to compensation. And be prepared to fight it if you don't think the reason given was really exceptional. I would not accept strikes to do with fuel as a good reason for example, there are plenty of places they can file their planes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@snowhound, I think EJ will have to pay for the new flights

Puzzled why?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowhound wrote:
Helpline said it was because of industrial action in France. They could have flown us to Geneva, but that's not much good when you're flying back from Lyon (they couldn't change the return to come back from Geneva) and you're hiring a car.
Cancelled and got new flights with Easyjet for the same days. Actually cheaper than the original flights....

So BA cancel & EJ still fly?
I would be questioning BA excuse. Take lots of screenshots to show the airport operational
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowhound, you can book car hire to collect and return to different locations. It does cost extra but surely that extra cost is responsible for that cost at this point
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snowhound, commiserations, terrible at such short notice. BA are beginning to make Ryanair and Wizzair look more reliable lately.

I was going to suggest cheap flights with Jet2 to Grenoble as an alternative. Grenoble airport is well outside the city, on the way towards Lyon.
Sounds like you're sorted now. Hope they don't drag their heels with compensation, though I heard travel journalist Simon Calder saying they'd done that a lot recently. Mad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowhound wrote:

Do you get compensation on top of a refund with such notice?

Depends who is on strike

https://www.fairplane.co.uk/flight-delayed-cancelled-industrial-action
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can't see how BA can use strikes as a valid reason when their other two flights to Lyon are flying, and as well as all of Easyjet's that day.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowhound wrote:
I can't see how BA can use strikes as a valid reason when their other two flights to Lyon are flying, and as well as all of Easyjet's that day.

ATC strikes will affect capacity - for example.

So carriers prune the rosta

or - it could be something personal against you
latest report
@red 27, Fair point, the call centre staff (who to be fair probably wouldn't know) didn't specify who exactly was on strike.
In any case, it certainly seems personal when your flight seems to be the only one cancelled. Que sera sera.
snow report
French traffic control insisted that 30% of flights were cancelled during the last strikes during the first week of March, fortunately our flight back from Lyon to Heathrow was not cancelled just an hour and a bit late departing, but the departure board was full of cancelled flights to various parts of Europe.
snow conditions
adithorp wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
@snowhound, I think EJ will have to pay for the new flights

Puzzled why?

Cos I typed EJ instead of BA..meh
latest report
When the original post was put up I did check BAs flights on Saturday from LON (ie all London airports) to Lyon, Marseille, Nice, Charles de Gaulle and Orly and only two flights to Lyon had been cancelled from the dozens those routes covered. Might be handy when you come to discuss.

This link shows the ATC strikes finished on the 23rd.
https://www.cestlagreve.fr/
ski holidays
We are regular flyers to GVA on BA and had many flights cancelled this season. Only one was weather related (fog at LHR) and no reason given for others. In every case but one we were offered a new booking within an hour or two of our original flight. They struggled to get us back on time on Monday of the fog incident and we opted to make our own way back by TGV and Eurostar with a night at Ibis Geneva. On that occasion BA reimbursed our costs of c. £2k total for four of us. I think the cancellations are done as they try to consolidate numerous hourly 1/2 full flights in the evenings to minimise flights.

We found booking individual tickets if there is a group makes it easier for the airline to rebook individuals instead of a block of, say 4, passengers travelling together.

Load flight details into the TripCase app so your are notified the instant the flight is cancelled, so you can get in touch with BA before others find out.
snow conditions
@Ozboy, yes, BA Turin to GTW has been cancelled twice I know of this season.

My OH was due to fly 13:50 and at 07:30 let out a few expletives as she checked her phone to find out the flight had been cancelled, then was intense panic to find another flight as she was flying out the next day to Madeira.

Ended up driving to Lyon for a 17:00 EJ flight, not too sure how the compensation worked out, as she put in for transport to Lyon and hotel room in GTW as well as the flight.
latest report
So I think I owe BA an apology and should re title the thread F@@@ing French strikers. My replacement EasyJet flight (for 6 am tomorrow) was cancelled at 11 this morning. Same reason given-strikes. Got an other EJ flight Sunday morning but was fully booked half an hour later so just in time. But we miss a day of skiing and had to rebook car hire, airport parking etc all over again. Apart from accommodation, I've booked two ski holidays in the last 24 hours because people seem to think they can work for 30 years which will fund 20 years or education and 20 years of retirement.
snow report
Should add EJ cancelled flight also to Lyon. BA would only offer outward bound flight replacement to Geneva which ain't much good when you're hiring a car and they are sticking to you flying back from Lyon.
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
@snowhound, you can book car hire to collect and return to different locations. It does cost extra but surely that extra cost is responsible for that cost at this point
latest report
snowhound wrote:
Should add EJ cancelled flight also to Lyon. BA would only offer outward bound flight replacement to Geneva which ain't much good when you're hiring a car and they are sticking to you flying back from Lyon.

Lots of hire places let you drop off at another location
snow report
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-65091012

More BA cancellations this weekend, keep an eye on your App.
snow conditions
Oh god, we've got BA flights booked for Sunday.. LGW to LYS.... I had a sneaking suspicion something might be up with them.. But need to wait to hear from our travel agent first.. Which should be tomorrow (Tuesday)...
snow report
Which flight number / time were you flying at please?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@eps, read the link..its Heathrow
snow report
Ah, phew!!!!!!!
snow conditions
Just back from my Alps trip. BA lost my ski bag on the way over, and lost it and another checked bag on the way back. From their website, it appears claiming ski rental costs will result only in my becoming even more apoplectic. Ski bag contents were soaking wet upon arrival here in Seattle, including a new down coat. Bless their futzing hearts!

Trying to learn from this, I'd say if the connection is at all tight, and they were, this is bound to happen. But man, when my own skis arrived I couldn't wait to jettison the rentals. Those Mantras are animals.
latest report
snowhound wrote:
because people seem to think they can work for 30 years which will fund 20 years or education and 20 years of retirement.

You are misinformed. The French air traffic controllers have to contribute 42 years to get a full pension, 43 to 44 years after the reform. Given most start the job at 22 or 23 that means they won't be able to retire on a full pension until 64 to 65... only they are forced to retire at 59 due to a "decline in their mental abilities". They could get another job I suppose. Their union went to court in 2014 to get this limit removed as pilots, for example, can work to 65 but the court found against them.

They also receive a part of the salary in bonuses, these don't count towards their pensions.
snow report
Seen lots of BA cancellations this year. The conspiracy theorists in me think if they have 3 flights on a route and dont fill them to a minimum utilisation then they can squeeze down to 2 flights and improve margins.
snow report
It might be inconvenient, but it would be a sound business plan. I'm sure some other airlines would do similar things if they ran 3 flights per day.

Last couple of years, EJ have cancelled Saturday flights and, very inconveniently, moved them to Friday/Sunday. Probably for the same reason, but would never admit it. Happened to me last year, so transferred to BA (and got it cheaper)

Long term, it might help to keep prices lower.
ski holidays
Think I’ve had every flight to and from GVA re-scheduled this season - only one occasion due to “act of god” when there was fog at LHR. It’s clear they consolidate consolidate flights and we tend to end up rammed on the larger A321 aircraft. I assume it’s been a difficult year to predict passenger number on weekends due to the bad season and companies cutting back on travel expenses post covid. Also good for environment as less flights.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy