Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil as alternative to Saint Gervais

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I already booked at Saint Gervais for the last week of December and the first week of January, and now getting worried about the current weather and forecast, despite the first snow news a few days ago. Last mid March at La Clusaz in the super warm weather even makes me more anxious. I got the base at le Bettex and now deeply regret it.

So I'm thinking about plan B now.... Maybe not much different in this weather or too late to change.

I thought about Tignes or Val Thorens... But not affordable for now.

So now searching Portes du Soleil and Grand Massif...
Just after reading through the TR of @denfinella, PdS is getting more positive. Still SG is my place of choice though.

Only the factor of snow conditions matters now for changing plan.

Can anyone please give me suggestions or advice?

We are a family of 4. Kids are all almost grown late teenagers. All intermediate to enjoy red and blue. Self catered. Planning 5 days of ski straddling new years day.

Thanks!!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally, out of the resorts around Geneva, I'd go for Avoriaz (or Morzine with bus link to Avoriaz) at that time of the season.

Though if the snow's really poor everywhere else, Avoriaz will be unpleasantly busy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think St Gervais usually has reasonable snow by the beginning of January, the question tends to be just when in December it arrives. Your booking is a reasonably good bet - though global warming does mean historical snow records might not be that good a guide.

There will almost certainly be snow up the road in Les Contamines, on the same lift pass - it is a bit higher but more importantly benefits from cold air off the Mont Blanc massif lowering the temperature. Quite easy to get to from St Gervais town, but a bit more of a challenge from Bettex.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dkimble, for a start, stop worrying. There's nothing to be done, the weather is what it will be and (more or less) PdS vs St G are close enough that if one is poor so will be the other.

Forecasts are valid about 3 days out. So no-one has the first clue what the Wx will be like over NY. Long range forecasts are +/- worthless in terms of holiday planning.

Pour yourself a glass of wine or a cup of tea and look forward to your holiday.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, Quite so. Looking at the weather right now and trying to extrapolate for the new year is a fool's game. In effect, there's never really any significant snowfall, that will stick around, before the beginning of December, so yeah, relax, it's far too early to be changing plans just yet.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another vote for a soothing cup of tea....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone. Will try to be laid back and rather meditated...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Definitely no point in worrying yet. The last time there was really poor snow in the north west alps (December in 2016) there had been a significant snowfall in early November but then nothing for several weeks. Whereas last year there was little snow until the week before Christmas and then a huge fall creating one of the best Christmas weeks in years. I also don’t think Avoriaz is high enough to be better than Les contamines.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One more question.

How is Les Houches in snow wise? Is it similar to Les Contamines to have its own microclimate?

(I know it's not in Evasion MB, and needs different tickets)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If snow is poor, Les Contimens is your best bet
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dkimble wrote:
How is Les Houches in snow wise? Is it similar to Les Contamines to have its own microclimate?

I would say not, admittedly from limited sampling. It is pretty low, and its selling point is really being a little more family/beginner friendly than the rest of the Chamonix valley (and of course it does have its own charm). If snow is slushy at those altitudes, Les Houches will be slushy.

If you are lucky, Les Houches local @Idris will be along to give a definitive answer.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
j b wrote:
dkimble wrote:

I would say not, admittedly from limited sampling. It is pretty low, and its selling point is really being a little more family/beginner friendly than the rest of the Chamonix valley (and of course it does have its own charm). If snow is slushy at those altitudes, Les Houches will be slushy.

If you are lucky, Les Houches local @Idris will be along to give a definitive answer.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@dkimble, not sure what you are saying (I don't speak smiley).

But I don't think St Gervais/Bettex is a bad bet for those dates, and even if things are marginal it has more north-facing/highish runs likely to hold up than Les Houches. Just that no one will give a guarantee.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@j b, it was crying emoji...

I'm just thinking les contamines don't seem large enough for 5 days ski, and looking for any other place nearby which can have more snow.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's unlikely that anywhere in that area will have more snow than Les Contamines, because the aspect of most of its slopes (not so much Veleray) is so helpful. The Hauteluce side gets more sun, so is less good when the weather is iffy. If you like some off-piste options, there's plenty of choice in Contamines. I have little experience of Les Houches but when I spent a poor snow January week there, many years ago, it was pretty hopeless. We were looking for "intermediate" type skiing and found the best bet was up at Le Tour, other end of the Valley. We drove to Flaine one day, but the snow wasn't great.
snow conditions
dkimble wrote:
@j b, it was crying emoji...

Ah. I hadn't picked that up.

I agree, if you are someone who likes covering different ground Les Contamines won't cover 5 days. But Les Houches is smaller still.

As I said, Bettex is a reasonable bet at that time. There will surely be at least some snow by then, and in any case it should be cold enough at night for artificial snow. Most runs are over meadows which means a huge depth of snow isn't necessary. As long as there is some snow the runs off the north and north-east side of Mont d'Arbois to the Princesse mid-station and the Monts Rosset chair, some of the runs above St Nicholas, and the runs over at Cote 2000 should keep decent conditions. The runs over to La Giettaz also ought to be fine, at worst you might to have to download back to Megeve on the Le Jaillet gondola. And that is worst case, you have a good chance of being able to ski everywhere. The only thing that doesn't work so well from Bettex is a day trip to Les Contamines, but then if things are good you are better placed right on the snow.
snow report
@dkimble, no. Les Houches is not a better idea.

There is no better idea.

See what has been posted above and chill out.
snow report
@dkimble, if Saint Gervais isn't offering skiing over New Year then most of the areas that you mentioned won't either and those that are will have poor conditions and big crowds so not guaranteed to be worth it anyway. If worried, don't pay for the lift pass in advance, not much else to be done. For the record, I'd be surprised if St Gervais didn't have a good number of pistes open even if conditions aren't great
snow report
We skied St.G/Megeve over Christmas a few years ago, booking after an early Dec. snow that looked promising. Unfortunately all we got was a freeze/thaw cycle that left the pistes hard as rock and slushy at the same time. Not much to be done, we just skied what we could and enjoyed the time off otherwise. St. G. is a nice town to hang out in; often events/shows in the community space. And you could try Les Contamines, although it won't be that big of a difference if there's no new snow...
snow report
Past performance is no indication, etc.
snow report
sometimes it is better to have a couple of slopes with 30 cm for you and a few more fellows, than 10 slopes with 100 cm but total overcrowded...
snow report
Thanks again for all advice. Yes, I will take it easy and wish my luck.
snow report
j b wrote:
The runs over to La Giettaz also ought to be fine, at worst you might to have to download back to Megeve on the Le Jaillet gondola.

Oh... Didn't know la Giettaz has more snow in the area. As. I have to drive there for Jaillet and Giettaz, I just opted them out. I will look up more in it. Thanks.
snow conditions
@dkimble, you wouldn't have to drive to access the Jaillet lift and the runs to Giettaz - it would be a real pain from Bettex. There is a free bus across Megeve (from the road below the Mont d'Arbois gondola station).
latest report
dkimble wrote:
Hi, I already booked at Saint Gervais for the last week of December and the first week of January, and now getting worried about the current weather and forecast, despite the first snow news a few days ago. Last mid March at La Clusaz in the super warm weather even makes me more anxious. I got the base at le Bettex and now deeply regret it.

So I'm thinking about plan B now.... Maybe not much different in this weather or too late to change.

I thought about Tignes or Val Thorens... But not affordable for now.

So now searching Portes du Soleil and Grand Massif...
Just after reading through the TR of @denfinella, PdS is getting more positive. Still SG is my place of choice though.

Only the factor of snow conditions matters now for changing plan.

Can anyone please give me suggestions or advice?

We are a family of 4. Kids are all almost grown late teenagers. All intermediate to enjoy red and blue. Self catered. Planning 5 days of ski straddling new years day.

Thanks!!!

Your holiday is in 8-9 weeks. Let's put things into perspective. 8-9 weeks ago (early September) we were enjoying lovely sailing conditions (breeze, warm air, sunbathing weather) off the coast of North Wales. I'm now sat in my office at home wearing slippers, a pair of jeans and a jumper. Relax.
latest report
Just looked at a photo I took on November 19th last year in PDS. Virtually no snow visible, but then we had 2m before the season opened.
snow report
j b wrote:
dkimble wrote:

Sorry taken me 3 days to see this.

No Les Houches does not have the same benefits snow wise as Les Contamines. BUT due to having an aoccasional WC race we have enough snowmaking that the majority of the runs will be open for the majority of the winter. If it's too warm, then Les Contamines wouldn't have any snow either, their microclimate is (winter) precepitation anomaly, not temperature....you need to go to Les Chaux du Fond in the Jura for that one.
snow report
Thanks, @Idris.

Is Les Chaux in Neuchatel?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't think @Idris was seriously suggesting Les Chaux du Fond as a destination for your trip, @dkimble.
ski holidays
dkimble wrote:
Thanks, @Idris.

Is Les Chaux in Neuchatel?

Yup in the hills just north n west of the lake. Sub 20C is not uncommon at 700m asl
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy