Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Big wide pistes in Europe?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

My wife and I are thinking of going skiing somewhere in Europe early next year. Both us have a reasonable level of ability but my wife has some eyesight problems and struggles to see well in flat light. As a result, she only really enjoys skiing on very wide pistes without too many people near her. She's been to whistler before and described the runs there as perfect, but it's too much of a stretch in terms of price.

I like more technical, steep and twisty runs, but I'm not all that bothered about off-piste.

Can anyone recommend a European resort that might fit the bill? If there isn't one that offers both, the big wide pistes are much more important.

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lech-Zürs-Warth ('Arlberg-West'; Austria)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The pistes around San Cassiano and Corvara in the Dolomites might suit you
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A few points one is that light tends to be at its best on sunny days and the most open runs are above the tree line but when light does get flat it is above the tree line that it is at its worst but return runs to the valley can also be bad, going somewhere where downloading is possible may be sensible. In terms of business February and New Year tend to have the worst crowds. Less popular resorts in January can be very quiet and have the advantage of generally being the cheapest.

The majority of resorts that I have been to have wide open pistes were there any that were a particular problem?

One possibility I would suggest in Jan is Serre Chevalier which is not particularly crowded and has good open skiing above and below the tree line , options to download, a sunny climate and some more technical runs.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Left_Turn_Only, were the runs in whistler perfect because they were tree lined which can help a lot in flat light as opposed to simply being wide? In which case Austria is likely to have the best options for you but I haven't skied many Austrian resorts so wouldn't be sure which
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As long as you’re comfortable on red runs then Mayrhofen is worth looking into. Plenty of long, wide sweeping reds. There are far fewer blues though, but it’s a red run dream.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Maria Alm and the Hochkonig (pictured) has some of the best pistes in Austria. Leogang is similar and so is Saalbach. Otherwise, Alta Badia and the general Dolomite area.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wouldn't describe Whistler as uncrowded on piste nor particularly good visibility in the alpine in flat light/storm weather so you can only really be talking about the benefits of tree lined pistes. Serre Chevalier would seem to be a good shout as well as the best high transmission modern goggle lens you can find (I like Smith Chromapop Storm Rose but opinions and brand preferences vary).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Klamm Franzer wrote:

Maria Alm and the Hochkonig (pictured) has some of the best pistes in Austria. Leogang is similar and so is Saalbach. Otherwise, Alta Badia and the general Dolomite area.

I've shown her this picture and she's pretty keen on the tree lined idea, so Hochkonig or somewhere similar could be a good suggestion.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
my recollection of Whistler is not of unusually or especially wide pistes ...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The widest pistes I’ve come across are at Kronplatz near the Sella Ronda. The downside is that it encourages frighteningly fast skiing Puzzled
January would be quieter and also more likely to have sunny slopes than less sheltered or higher areas. Most of the runs are below the tree line and the uplift is predominantly Gondolas.
https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/kronplatz-plan-de-corones/photos/#&gid=1&pid=26
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Plus 1 for the Hochkonig. It also has the Konigstour to take you from one end to the other with minimal navigation. The relatively new "extension" which goes round Maria Alm has some lovely gentle slopes to ease you in and there are some cracking restaurants and hutte to visit. Stay in Maria Alm for the best options and fly to Salzburg for short transfer options although it's not much longer from Munich either.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wide featureless pistes are the last thing you want in flat light, as that just makes it harder to visually gauge the slope. You want tree-lined pistes to because the contrast between dark trees and white snow helps the eye and brain 'see' what's going on better.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Courchevel and Trois Vallees in general has loads of good wide pistes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Davos/Klosters. Lots of open space on the top of the Parsenn area in particular, long, wide pistes, glorious scenery. And plenty of possibilities for the stronger skier to drop off and do a tricky run while remaining pretty much within the same area, so "lets meet back here, or at that restaurant, in half an hour" arrangements are very easy.
snow conditions
Zakopane has very wide and in midweek very quiet pistes. They are also tree lined. The only problem is that it is a tiny resort.
latest report
Cervinia
ski holidays
hammerite wrote:
Cervinia

I'm not sure there is a single tree?
snow conditions
Wide wide empty pistes in flat light are great fun and forgiving, narrow tree lined full pistes are a nightmare ... wide tree lined empty pistes would be the optimum
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
hammerite wrote:
Cervinia

I didn’t notice the word tree in the original post!
snow conditions
On the plus side, in flat light, no trees means fewer obstacles to hit that can really make your eyes water if you do.

If tree-lined pistes are very very wide, doesn’t that reduce the ‘ability to see better’ benefits of trees anyway?

Medium width tree-lined pistes that aren’t too steep or busy?
Evasion Mont Blanc area springs to mind, outside of French mid Feb to early March busy weeks.
Also Les Gets and Morzine + a few other parts of Portes du Soleil.
ski holidays
@Peter S, +1 for Kronplatz. Really wide pistes there, most of which are treelined. Also has some proper long and proper steep blacks which would suit the OP.
latest report
hammerite wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
hammerite wrote:
Cervinia

I didn’t notice the word tree in the original post!

True but they are the only consistent way to mitigate against poor light. If you are on a wide piste tuck in closer to the trees etc.

I had some genuine no idea which way is downhill skiing in Cervinia once in May returning from Zermatt side.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, agreed. Trees are very useful.
snow conditions
I know almost every resort worth mentioning.
The best fit with the topic opener are (in my opinion)

1) Livigno. For instance, the skydancer run. About 800 metres wide, not overpopulated.
2) Alpe d'Huez. Super wide greens and blues between 1800-2100, then reds between 2100-2700, then blacks 2700-3300.

Skydancer

http://youtube.com/v/u6W88fJWLew

Livigno trip report with lots of photos
https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43433

Alpe d'huez 1
https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/alpe-dhuez/test-result/beginners/
snow conditions
Your wife may already have suitable goggles with low light lenses but if she's due an upgrade might be worth investigating goggles with low light lenses, as already mentioned above. From my own experience initially I had an inexpensive pair and was regularly frustrated (I don't think anyone likes not being able to see). I was surprised at the difference a branded pair made to the enjoyment, although in truly flat light it's still hard to see. You can generally find goggles that come with 2 lenses (sunny and low-light) or you might be able buy extra lenses or transitions type lenses that darken automatically for her current goggles. I've tried Smith and Dragon low light lenses, both do the job and not much between them. But if I buy goggles again I'd get one with an easy lens change, magnetic or similar because the ones I've got are a faff.
snow conditions
@silentice, completely agree.
It's definitely worth the investment when you consider the cost of a missed day on the mountain due to low light.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy