Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mt. Bachelor - Late April???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can provide advice about whether Mt. Bachelor is a suitable place to plan a two week trip for April 15th to 29th in 2023? I am pretty sure the resort intends to stay open until May but I’m trying to get some info on whether it’s a sensible option snow and weather wise.

I like spring skiing with the better light and warmer days. I like spring snow - even some of the heavier variety. And as I normally ski in the Alps our snow conditions can be really bad here so I am used to it.

So, is it a sensible option to book in advance a two week trip to Bachelor for the last two weeks in April? Or is it too risky?

If anyone thinks it’s a good option and if you have any accommodation recommendations that would be great.

Thanks!

Joe
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, Mt. Bachelor is a great Spring time destination for skiing. And Mt. Bike riding too. They generally stay open until the end of May. Last season, it snowed about 6" on the last day of lift served. This is what Bachelor looked like back in May the day after they closed.

This hotel is right of Century Drive that leads up to Bachelor. Not too far away from downtown either.

https://www.google.com/travel/hotels/Bend%2C%20OR/entity/ChkIxK_lg8zJ3ugHGg0vZy8xMWo0bTVseHloEAE?q=bend%20hotels&g2lb=2502548%2C2503771%2C2503781%2C2504109%2C4258168%2C4270442%2C4284970%2C4291517%2C4306835%2C4597339%2C4718358%2C4723331%2C4731329%2C4757164%2C4814050%2C4816977%2C4852066%2C4861688%2C4864715%2C4873776%2C4878644%2C4879519%2C4885165%2C4886480%2C4888422%2C4888431%2C4888555%2C4892539%2C4893075&hl=en-US&gl=us&ssta=1&ts=CAESCgoCCAMKAggDEAAaIAoCGgASGhIUCgcI5g8QCxgWEgcI5g8QCxgXGAEyAhAAKgkKBToDVVNEGgA&rp=OAFAAEgCogEIQmVuZCwgT1KaAgIIAA&ap=SABoAQ&ictx=1&ved=0CAAQ5JsGahcKEwiQktnhy6H7AhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQBA&utm_campaign=sharing&utm_medium=link&utm_source=htls

LOGE is also highly recommended. They rent bikes and paddle boards. Near some decent Mt. Bike trails too.

There's tons of Brew pubs to explore as well, if you are in to that sort of thing. Monkless down by the Deschutes and Old Mill is a great place for Belgian style ales. 10 Barrel on Galveston has a great scene. Then you have Crux, Boneyard and Deschutes Brewery as well.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’m flying into Portland from Australia on April 16. We’re in Bend for 6 nights so will get a few days in at Bachelor. We’ll also check out Mt Hood Meadows and Timberline when we’re staying in Portland area.
@jwengler, be sure to take a day trip to Crater Lake if you’ve got a car. Oh and Smith Rock State Park.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timberline opening on Friday the 11th of November. It looks and feels like winter in Central Oregon with several inches of snow over night.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jwengler, its as close to guaranteed as you can get in North American skiing (except Timberline, which is boring). I've been to Mt.B every spring (and winter) for over 40 years and have a place near there. If it is a typical year, you'll arrive with all terrain open and lift-served; some lifts might be closed, like Outback, but its terrain still open and served by NWX. Then as the snow melts they usually shut Cloudchaser and its terrain, since its low and sunny, and later they shut NWX for the same reason. Even then you still have the full vertical, all served by high speed chairs. There are endless accommodation options; maybe provide some detail/budget to help tune it in. It is also off-season so it will be comparatively affordable. Mt.B also offers a "spring pass" that I'd guess will be around $325 this season. That will be the ticket for you. There's also golf in the afternoon if you like. There are no significant school holidays then, so it will be mostly deserted as well. All this is why, year after year, I'm there in the spring. Hard and fast to start; nice and silky around 11:00; mush from 12:30 until your legs are done. You won't need a guide (I consider it by far the easiest mountain to navigate) but if it works out I could show you around. Note that Mt. B is a day area with zero lodging at the mountain; the closest lodging is 30 minutes away in Bend (great town, full range of lodging) or Sunriver (quieter and a bit more upscale).

@sbooker, sounds good but fyi you might not find Meadows open then. They are very transparent about how they'll stay open if there is sufficient snow AND sufficient skiers...in years past, they come right out and say "we'll run as long as we get X people showing up, otherwise we're done". Timberline is...kind of a novelty at that time of year. Historic lodge was in The Shining; its pretty. But it has boring, gentle terrain and if foggy there's nothing. When you land you can assess and if it looks like you should just go to Mt. B, no argument here.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.

Some proof: The long groomer was shot on March 11; the pow on April 21st; the cauliflower on April 29th and the Sisters on May 21st (various seasons)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow - thanks for all these great messages! I really appreciate it. My budget is reasonably healthy but I will be paying for three adults. I live in the UK and ski about 50 days in the Alps each winter (except for the first Covid winter). The British Pound is very weak against the Dollar so trips to the USA come up expensive. That said I’m not getting any younger and I would like to stay somewhere decent with access to some bars and restaurants. Is it possible to do a week or two without a car? Or is it simply too much of a hassle getting public transportation. Thanks again for the messages and photos. Joe.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You want a car on this one. If you really wanted to skip that, you could stay and drink in a certain part of town that has both, near where the Mt. B shuttle runs from. But that cost alone is $48/day for four of you, which would almost cover the car cost, and we haven't covered how you'd get from PDX or RDM to Bend and back in the first place. Get the car and stay, eat and ski where and when you want. Also permits afternoon side trips (the ski day ends early in the spring) to places like Smith Rock, the High Desert Museum, or Tumalo or Benham Falls. That time of year you can probably get away without AWD, and you won't need chains.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you want to splurge for a nice hotel in downtown Bend, then the Oxford is the way to go. Bend downtown is very walkable.

https://www.oxfordhotelbend.com/

And for something completely different, you and your mates can drink and throw sharp objects! What could be more entertaining! I have done this with a group from work and it was a blast.

https://unofficiallogging.com/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fantastic info - thanks. I really appreciate it. Super kind of you folks taking the time to reply.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scooter in Seattle,
Thanks for the trips. I’ll be staying in a condo just north of Deschutes Brewing. About a 8 minute walk apparently. You’re place is in Bend?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sbooker, Sunriver to be precise. 15 minutes south of Bend (but the same distance from the hill).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Scooter in Seattle,
If you’re around on our dates we might get some turns in.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sbooker, love to. I demolished the kitchen in our little house last week, so now the pressure's on to put a better one back in its place....so I'm going to be down there a lot! Looking at your dates, its almost certain. Let's stay in touch, (and same to you @jwengler).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy