Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Horses to courses? Can you use the same backprotector?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've got a ten year old who does horseriding, and needs a back protector apparently. I also want to get her one for skiing.

Now, it looks to me that these are the same product?

https://www.komperdell.fr/enfant/2827-3548-ballistic-vest-junior-blacklime.html#/71-taille-128_cm

https://www.sellerie-plus.fr/dorsale-komperdell-junior-5532#

Is there any reason not to just buy one? Do horsey pursuits have any sort of rules for protection? At the moment, she is just pootling about, jumping the odd thing, and maybe doing some horse ball. I guess something basic like the above is also OK for kiddo skiing?

Any thoughts? You may assume that equine pursuits are not my strong point!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I get the impression that riding schools are now pretty strict about kids having back protectors. After all anything going wrong might involve a fall from a height.

I don't know about skiing, but have noticed French children quite often wearing them (apparent when having lunch on the mountain and them taking off their ski jackets). And a moderate number of French adults. I assume it is the same sort of injury they are protecting against.

But that is a round about way of saying I don't know. It is like other things, I am sure a rock-climbing helmet would be protective when skiing, or a ski helmet when cycling, but in practice different sports set their own standards and there may be slight differences.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My Daughter had a back protector for horse riding. It was very stiff and covered/protected both back and front - so would imo be too restrictive for skiing.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Both good points, but that Komperdell product is definitely the same thing right?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It looks to be the same thing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mrs M's horsing vest would be no good for skiing, it is as much for protecting front/ribs from falling onto poles than protecting you in a backwards fall / idiot impact from behind. The one my daughter raced in is very different.

If your daughter will be racing (especially in the UK on plastic) you need to consider overheating. Kids can get very hot in some of them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.beta-uk.org/pages/safety-equipment/body-protectors.php

There are different standards for equestrian back protectors and this is the most basic. The ones most commonly used are much more bulky ('cos horses are unpredictable and dangerous creatures!).

Your two look very similar, ie. Spine protection in a vest.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The two vests are listed as conforming to the same EN standard.

Back protectors are required for all French national ski races, they are not required for FIS races in France.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The komperdell product does not meet the standard for equestrian events - EN13158. The listed standard EN1621-2 is for motorcycle back protectors.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I thought that second site the OP refers to had quite a good explanation of the difference between the two standards.

Quote:

The Komperdell Junior back protector approved EN 1621-2 level 1 , very light, closes at the front with a zipper, is worn under a jacket, and is used when wearing a life jacket. Level 3 competition is not mandatory .
This Cross 6.0 multilayer back protector, in adaptive double density foam, with side protection zone with perforation for good breathability, refers to protective clothing against mechanical shocks for motorcyclists.

A back protector covers the back, but not the abdomen unlike a protective vest to EN13128 standard which is intended to cover the risks of horse riding including hoof kicks

Back protection, in accordance with the regulations of the FFE (French Horse Riding Federation), is not authorized in equestrian disciplines (such as, for example, the Complete Horse Riding Competition) imposing a standard protective vest EN13158, corresponding to the practice of equestrian sports.
We invite you to consult the regulations in force on the FFE website.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all- in terms of skiing, I am just looking for something to make me feel better about collisions/pissed adults etc. There is no racing happening yet!

On the horsey side, they are usually only in the manège at the moment (with the occasional trek in the fields). Probably something pretty simple will do for that as well. I have seen at least one kid struggling to move properly under a huge rigid protector...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Assuming she's riding at a riding school, you should prob check with them in case there's a standard that they require/prefer. Although most don't require pupils to wear them, it's more of a personal preference thing.

If she is riding in a riding school then she really doesn't need it, and it may be detrimental to her riding because they're quite restrictive.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy