Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets

Poster: A snowHead
Just a quick question, does anyone still ski/snowboard without a helmet? As for myself, on my second ever ski trip, I took a tumble and gave myself a minor concussion. After that I've always worn a lid. I remember a few years ago being on a lift in Canada, and right from the start had some young lads taking the mickey out of myself and an American gentleman by the side of me also wearing a lid, basically saying how much of a pair of wimps we were in quite colourful vernacular. I didn't rise to the bait, but the American gent replied, in a slow Texan drawl "Yeah guys, I wear a crash-hat because, you know, having to re-learn your basic motor skills is such a cool thing to do..."

Silence for the rest of the ride.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, I do. I bought one a few years ago, and tried wearing it a couple of times, but I hated it.
I confess that it is a bit silly not to wear one, but I just much prefer the greater sense of freedom/exposure to the elements.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MajorQ, have you tried searching 'helmets' on here? Good luck and I hope your supplies of popcorn don't run out. Also congratulations - i think yours may be the first helmet thread of this season. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurtle wrote:
@MajorQ, have you tried searching 'helmets' on here? Good luck and I hope your supplies of popcorn don't run out. Also congratulations - i think yours may be the first helmet thread of this season. Toofy Grin

Cool wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hurtle, Very Happy Just need a Currency query at Geneva airport type question now Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@boredsurfin, or Geneva car hire - Swiss or French? …
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or winter tyres … oh, no, wait, that’s already started snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Like most old skiers I grew up before helmet wearing and when they became generally available saw them as something for the beginners who wore them. We veterans skiing off piste didn't bother. However, as those beginners became experts, still wearing them, most of us slowly and perhaps reluctantly took them up. I had head butted a few banks, mostly suffering a sore neck as consequence, twice with tingling in the arms from squashed nerves. On a trip to Canada it was required of us by our guide but mine didn't fit well and I gave up on it. Then our favourite guide started wearing one and my wife persuaded me to do it too. At first I didn't like it, but now I am used to wearing it and just take it off to skin and sometimes if it is very hot.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowball,
+1, think we are about the same vintage.
About 2 weeks after starting wearing one I had a heavy crash on a hard piste and felt a significant concussion throughout the helmet. That had me thinking what if I hadn't had it on and not taken it off since (unless, as you say, skinning).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh dear, here we go again. Been a while, but might be a welcome break from the politics related crap.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Started with snowboarding before switching to skiing so always wore a helmet. Definitely saved my noggin a few times after heel edge catches. Might have also helped with a few ski crashes on hard pistes as well (although ski crashes tend to be a bit more 'confusing' than snowboard crashes as you have limbs/skis/poles going in all different directions. Helmet definitely helped with getting hit by safety bars on chairlifts quite a few times (though suppose you could argue that wearing a helmet makes you more likely to get hit by it).

Definitely in France helmet wearing seems to be 80-90% now even though it isn't compulsory. When I am in group lessons everyone seems to wear a helmet and generally it tends to just be the instructor not wearing one if anyone (though usually attentive enough to point out if people have forgotten to clip up the strap on their helmet).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Edge angles. Is a 3 deg best for snowploughing? Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle wrote:

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Edge angles. Is a 3 deg best for snowploughing? Happy

Nah, 3.51 degrees - saw it on YouTube Confused
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I just love helmet posts - best fun on here. Cool
latest report
Kinda weird - feel a bit naked without one now. Even indoors where I didn't use to bother until they became mandatory.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, indoors? Do you wear it at home?
ski holidays
ski holidays
With modern helmets being so comfortable why would you not? People won't wear a helmet but then wear a woolly hat Eh oh!Eh oh!
latest report
I’m 50/50. Depends how sendy I’m feeling.

Just about to jump on a lift. Soft spring snow, no crowds, sunny and warm. Won’t bother wearing a lid today.
snow report
ster wrote:

Obvs. With an airbag to use on the stairs.
snow report
Even newbie Pisteurs are wearing them now in Tignes, the last bastion falls!
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, probably wise, you can't be too safe, rather than sorry.
snow report
ManiaMuse wrote:
(though suppose you could argue that wearing a helmet makes you more likely to get hit by it).

In my case, every time. So if you want an awkward 5-6 minutes, just give no warning and whack me in the helmet with a big 'ol steel bar, and I'll give it to you.
snow conditions
dave_3 wrote:
With modern helmets being so comfortable why would you not? People won't wear a helmet but then wear a woolly hat Eh oh!Eh oh!

I can't stand woolly hats either Very Happy
ski holidays
Abusing people for their own choice on a chair is dick behaviour.

I dont wear one, but its entirely up to adults what they do on the piste, as long as it doesnt impact other people.

(to make a contrary point to mine above, I would outlaw these backpack speakers blasting out French diskopop Very Happy )
latest report
ster wrote:

I realize you're joking but I think my helmets saved me more hard off the snow than on it! More than once I've felt the smack on my helmet (behave!) from the skis of someone walking with their skis on their shoulder and just turning around to talk to a friend with zero spacial awareness.
snow report
@Mjit, most of my dents are from exactly that
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have the turtle crash pads made it to Europe yet?
latest report
hang11 wrote:

Had to google it, and watch a youtube video. Think I'll give looking like I'm being mated by a teenage mutant hero turtle a miss this season.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
They are really common in NZ, along with matching knee pads and helmet covers. Someone got rich.
snow report
hang11 wrote:
They are really common in NZ, along with matching knee pads and helmet covers. Someone got rich.

You must be joking, next they'll be skiing in zorbs. How do you sit on chairlifts properly wearing one?

And I find it hard to beleive that they came out of the USA as most there don't need much padding around the rear end, they are usual well-endowed there already.
snow report
I do know, as do all my skiing friends, bar 1 I think. As with those that started back in the day, I never used to, though, made my stepchildren wear them. I did kind of resist when they started to become more popular. Then took the plunge, as I/we seemed to be outnumbered by those that did. I wont ski without one now (nor would I cycle without a helmet, even before wearing one skiing). I do still wear sunglasses with the helmet though, I might go full kool and buy goggles

Its kind or ironic as I hated wearing any hat when skiing no matter how cold, in Europe anyway.
latest report
I started skiing before ski helmet existed. More precisely, before snowboarding existed.

But I was struggling to keep my head and neck warm in the frigid American Midwest. Hat, scarf, turtleneck… Then, once I started skiing, I overhead and sweat. Even colder on the subsequent chair ride up. Sad Sad Sad

One day, I thought I tried snowboarding. Hired boards for the day but no one mentioned helmet. The first heel side slip rung the alarm on my head! I was rather proud of my brain when I was young (“math wizard” was my nickname). So I didn’t fancy losing my brain cells to more heel side slips while I learn to board. Hired a helmet at lunch. Cushioned my heel side crashes alright. Was also amazed at how well it kept my head & neck warm on the chair. And then the vents allows heat to escape while I was skiing. No overheating, no sweating… far more comfortable than the hat/scarf/turtleneck setup.

After the lift closed, I marched into the shop and bought myself a nice shiny new helmet.

I never took to snowboarding. But I now wear my helmet, for the “wrong” reason. Laughing Laughing Laughing

And my lid had saved me many times from people pulling down the “safety bar” before I even sat down! rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
hang11 wrote:

Yes, I’ve definitely seen these.
snow report
ster wrote:
hang11 wrote:

You must be joking, next they'll be skiing in zorbs. How do you sit on chairlifts properly wearing one?

And I find it hard to beleive that they came out of the USA as most there don't need much padding around the rear end, they are usual well-endowed there already.

Most people wearing them tend to be using a conveyor lift Very Happy

They also come in different flavours - I’ve seen bears, turtles, unicorns (possibly donkeys). It’s like a bloody fluffy zoo around the beginner slopes on weekends.
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
hang11 wrote:

Yes, I’ve definitely seen these.

There was a little girl maybe 6 or 7 absolutely shredding Chill Factore on a board with her turtle kneepads at the Oktobertest.
snow report
ster wrote:

Only in the bedroom Toofy Grin
snow report
Talking about feeling naked now without one: when doing up seat belts had become automatic when driving and I first returned to cycling after a very long gap, it briefly felt wrong not to be wearing a seatbelt. Confused
snow conditions
FWIW I'm still in the no-helmet camp, except when instructing. It's expected that instructors wear them as an example to kids, so I'll go along with it. I don't wear one when cycling either.

Woolly hats, by the way, are cool. Well, mine is, anyway. Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy